so...i decided im not messing with selling my egnater tweaker 40 on craigslist so ill just screw myself on the street price marked down 40-50% that guitar center does and sell it asap.

whats this in the back? (no it was not 39 bucks, thats the boss)

i came, i saw, i took it home and i sounded good.

In the store hooked up to a vox lil night train, my first impression was how TRANSPARENT this pedal is. very natural sounding. the main control is most definitely the level as this is like 75% more of a boost than an overdrive. the gain adds a touch of hair, but this could be considered a low-medium gain OD. the active EQs have a BIG BIG effect on tone. i mean this is not your average tone control on an overdrive, which sorta kinda does nothing. the bass and treble actually BOOST or CUT bass and treble remarkably.

the pedal was so transparent that at point one, i rolled of my volume, forgot that i rolled off my volume, and thought i was on the "clean channel". on a 1 channel amp. i was like what the heck? it cleans up that well. pretty amazing. it does this better than my signa drive.

so i did a A/B with my signa drive, which we all know is a darn respectable pedal.

I have a 3 channel carvin v3m. my OD is used to boost a channel into a lead tone, or get a good "tubescreamer" type mid chugga chugga tone to rock some drop D riffage, or boost the clean channel into a classy, slightly compressed, sustaining lo gain solo tone.

on the (2nd) gain channel:

so i immidiately notice the tonality between the two. the Signa is more like a screamer. a bit compressed, sounds "mid thick". has that middy cut to it. we all know it.

where the AC differs is that it is more OPEN and clear. it still seems to boost the amp and has some middyness, but you can cut the bass or add just the right amount so that your heavy riffs are drowning, and you can add or cut treble so you have cut but not ICE PICK. i like that you can do this independently!

my test song was slither by velvet revolver. both sounded darn good. for some reason, the Xotic just inspired me more. theres this "mojo" about it i just like. perhaps im just tired of my Signa's tone after 1-2 years.

i happened to notice that when playing chords, the clarity helped all the notes come through a bit more. i feel like the screamer middy ness added a bit of haze on chords but punch on the single type notes. the AC isnt as thick on single notes, not as chewy, but the riffage just sounded more open.

Clean Channel:

heres where the differences really set in. the AC booster is WAY cleaner. not as much gain on tap. the signa so go anywhere from a clean boost to a maxxed out screamer on roids. but what gets me is the CLARITY of the AC booster. its like "hey who took the blanket of my pedal?" the Signa is very transparent. a great pedal. but the AC just has this open-ness that has me.

because the AC is not as gainy, boosting the clean channel renders a very glassy sustained tone but its still very clean. slight breakup. perhaps if you max the pedal out you get a good crunch. but if you want a pedal as a rythym grit pedal on a clean channel, THIS IS NOT FOR YOU. get the signa.

if you run an amp slightly broken up (like the vox i was playing). please by the pedal. it was made for a breaking up tube amp. i mean, awesome.

As always, build quality is some of the best ive seen. its also a nice sized unit. smaller than my Signa.

Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Sep 27, 2014,
nice

i think it's a modded tubescreamer with a baxendall eq. i have the mooer pure boost (which is the RC clone I think) and it doesn't really sound anything like a tubescreamer, though. sounds more like one of the more transparent ODs like a timmy.

i'd use both of them if you have the room on your board (it looks like you do). I like a ts-type pedal combined with a more transparent od.

EDIT: i never realised it was so small
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ahh i dont think so. its so open and non- compressed. people write that its another TS clone. could be. most pedals are. but it sounds drastically different. thats why i switched em out!

the Signa uses a RC4558p chip, which is basically one of the best op amp chips currently available since the vintage original JRC4558 chip is basically not really available.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
HNPD! I agree, the AC doesn't sound at all like a ts to my ears. Btw, how much did you get for your tweaker?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
a piddley amount. i ripped myself off really. on purpose. i really didnt give the used market a chance. i just took some quick cash.

but who knows, i may have never got this pedal so perhaps it was worth it. now i gotta find this signa drive a new home. i certainly do not need a 3 channel amp with a boost and 2 overdrives.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by Dave_Mc
nice

i think it's a modded tubescreamer with a baxendall eq. i have the mooer pure boost (which is the RC clone I think) and it doesn't really sound anything like a tubescreamer, though. sounds more like one of the more transparent ODs like a timmy.

i'd use both of them if you have the room on your board (it looks like you do). I like a ts-type pedal combined with a more transparent od.

EDIT: i never realised it was so small

At a quick glance, you'd probably think that (and I did as well at one point). But the clipping stage is inverting, so the diodes are really tied to Vb and you're getting hard clipping instead of soft clipping. The low end response is flatter as well pre clipping and with the tone controls set flat, there's barely any frequency shaping going on except in the lows. The only real similarities to the Tubescreamer are the input/output buffers.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
pardon my lack of technical knowledge, if there are input / output buffers, can it really be "true bypass"?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Yes, the buffers are only in the signal path when the pedal is activated. All they do is buffer the input/output of the effect to prevent anything else in the chain from significantly change the response when kicked on. Off is essentially a piece of wire connecting the jacks.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks matt I'll defer to you (as usual) since you know way more than me

And yeah if the buffer's only on when the pedal is on it's still true bypass.

I would say to ikey though that not sounding like a tubescreamer is no guarantee it's not a modded tubescreamer- you don't have to change too much to make them sound different. (Not in this case, I just mean in general. TGP is always claiming its newest flavour of the month pedal "can't possibly be a clone because it doesn't sound like any current pedal"... and then unsurprisingly said pedal always turns out to be a clone )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well if its different then mission acomplished!

fact is, the signa is a very good screamer clone with 2 nifty other modes built in. imo, a far more versatile pedal. i think if more people used it, ibanez TS revenues would drop. its just that much better. but the ac booster is a different beast. clear as day when you click it on.

things that irk me about most "overdrive" pedals:

- there always seems to be this feeling that you are playing through a pedal. i cant shake it. it can still be transparent, but it doesnt have that "amp like prescence" and clarity. i think on most TS clones, this is caused by the artifical mid hump. which is good. its an effect. but i think it is a factor. the AC booster definitely dispells the classic TS feel as i described above.

2nd - most tone controls are passive and total shite. tehy are basically a prescence knob. all the way down is horrible, higher is, well, normal, but any higher than 3 o clock and you have artificial treble white noise. so i basically keep it at noon and be done with it. aka...ditch that knob. these AC booster acitive controls ROCK. its like "wait these things actually have a purpose?". considering i like 1 knob pedals and the AC booster has 2 out of 4 knobs as tone controls, i was concerned. of course i ask myself "no mids?". i read an interview that stated the designer wanted to "leave mids alone". you can tweak treble and bass but the mids are part of the design and basically felt adding a mid control would muck up the magic of the pedal. dont change a good thing so to speak.

3rd - very hard to be good at lots of drive scenarios from a boost to rythym crunch. 1 flavor is not always best, i would never use a TS for everything. the SIGNA actually wins here. 3 modes. teh AC booster is NOT the right tool here. its a booster in my eyes. plain and simple. unity gain is almost not possible on it. at lowest settings, its still boosting.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
^ hopefully matt will confirm but I think the regular tubescreamer tone control is active. it uses the second half of the op-amp for the tone knob IIRC.

the tone knob on the rat is pretty killer, and it's passive and super-simple. just a low pass filter I think (again, hopefully matt will confirm or correct ).

but yeah the problem with an awful lot of pedals is that they sound like pedals a lot of the time. and i agree with you that different pedals are useful for different things.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well the signa does a good job of doing everything well. if you dont want that "mid heavy blanket" just flip to the top. for a flat EQ boost, middle switch.
____

updated, i just ran my AC plus Comp into a slightly overdriven channel on my V3m and pulled off some pretty convincing santana. what had me was the chewey notes i could get when palm muting, wihhc is something ive been in searching of for years. where you dig in and its almost like a pinched mute? lots of attidude? yeah man. this AC boost just put a huge smile on my face.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic