I started the Justin Guitar Beginners in early January 2013 and did his Intermediate course and have just finished that.

I'm going to take a few months off from proper practice and learn loads of songs.

My long term aim is to play British punk/alternative rock style like the Clash, The Jam, The Smiths, The Stone Roses and Manic Street Preachers.

I'd like some advise on where to next?

Thanks
Quote by TheCasual2013
I started the Justin Guitar Beginners in early January 2013 and did his Intermediate course and have just finished that.

I'm going to take a few months off from proper practice and learn loads of songs.

My long term aim is to play British punk/alternative rock style like the Clash, The Jam, The Smiths, The Stone Roses and Manic Street Preachers.

I'd like some advise on where to next?

Thanks

Pretty much it to be honest. Personally, I prefer to learn a song and practice the techniques needed for that song rather than learn techniques, then play songs.
I'd say you're doing just fine, and that learning loads of songs is exactly what you need to do right now. Don't get too caught up in trying to "plot your course" beyond basic skills if you feel the need to ask others where to go. Learn those songs, do your best to maintain good habits (minimum movement, good posture, play it slowly and build up speed to avoid sloppiness), and have fun. After you've learned all the songs you feel like learning, I would like to think that you'll have a better idea of where to go next yourself.

However, if there is a specific part of a song that you want to be able to tackle, but it is too technically difficult, then you can share that here and someone should be able to refer you to some exercises to help strengthen than skill. But the ultimate answer to that problem is always practice practice practice.
Just do what you want. Play to enjoy. I like to learn riffs that interest me and try to make my own using a similar technique. Or playing that riff in different rhythm just to see what it would sound like.
Cheers guys.

I know the styles I want to play aren't particle technically hard.

I like having a structured practice routine, but it's nice to be free and just play.