When creating stoner rock riffs, should i play my scales in all the same scale? Or should i have a variety of scales mixed into each song? So for instance, if i have a simple riff in a D minor pentatonic scale, should i stick to D scales? Or look around and see what would fit with it? If so anyone have any ideas of which scales complement other scales good? Also how do they go about making riffs and then getting the right chords to play over them? I play in a whole step down if that's any help. Thank you all for your time, much obliged.
Imagine a sound if you will, a sound that fits a specific archetype of sound you want to evoke. Now imagine this sound consisted of notes of varying intervallic relationships, with varying rhythmic patterns of both silence and sound combined at a tempo, either varying or static, consistent with the groove you wish to fall into. Now imagine these sounds can be played on an instrument that you are probably familiar with: the guitar. Now do you see the relationship between how what you seek and actual sound? Do you see it Mr. 75mm? It' actually quite simple - you play what you hear. Quite good isn't it? Simple. Effective. Tried and tested. It simply works.
Yep as Duke Ellington once said "if it sounds good, it is good". Of course what sounds good varies from person to person so only you can decide.

Another idea is to find bands similar to what you are trying to achieve and look at their music (either with tabs or by ear) and see what types of chords they use together, and what leads they play with them. At least then you'll have a starting point to experiment from.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Imagine a sound if you will, a sound that fits a specific archetype of sound you want to evoke. Now imagine this sound consisted of notes of varying intervallic relationships, with varying rhythmic patterns of both silence and sound combined at a tempo, either varying or static, consistent with the groove you wish to fall into. Now imagine these sounds can be played on an instrument that you are probably familiar with: the guitar. Now do you see the relationship between how what you seek and actual sound? Do you see it Mr. 75mm? It' actually quite simple - you play what you hear. Quite good isn't it? Simple. Effective. Tried and tested. It simply works.

That was so damn elaborate, complex and righteous i don't even know what to do with myself. Maybe i need to just become a freethinking individual like yourself, you seem to know the know baby. Monkey see, monkey do. Right?!?!? Well we all are civilized enough that we are not flinging our feces at each other. So i beg of you to share your knowledge of musical theory with me on this most pleasant forum. For if you do, i shall bask upon your glory and triumph! I digress....

I was looking to go a little farther in depth, rather than you pointing out the obvious in such a condescending and sarcastic manner. I do appreciate your response though, better than nothing.

Quote by KrogerChad
I learned the basics of stoner rock riffing pretty much from this guy on youtube who really breaks down what makes the sub genre tick better than anyone else on the internet.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1F15CE0DF36A9A1A

Thank you for the link, he has some nice videos.

Do i stay in the same scale when creating riffs? So that it matches the key of the song? I'm quite confused.
Last edited by 75mm at Sep 28, 2014,