So after weeks of research I've finally narrowed it down to the following amps:

- Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 (The fact that this is a combo saves me some trouble)
- Marshall JCM 900 100W High Gain Dual Reverb head
- Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 Head

Ideally I'd like to have an amp with decent cleans and one that can also handle my love for trash metal. Please don't recommend other amps, it took me long enough to narrow it to these! I mean I could possibly stretch for a JVM210 head but let's leave that out of it for now haha.

If you guys could rank these as well that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Edit! Also trying them out is completely out of the question, I'd have to travel countries over just to try them out due to where I live, so buying used online is my only option!
Last edited by Jenny Ibanez at Sep 28, 2014,
Quote by Jenny Ibanez
Ideally I'd like to have an amp with decent cleans and one that can also handle my love for trash metal.
If a combo would be better for you, then I'd g for the DSL401 + a tube screamer type pedal.
Quote by Jenny Ibanez
Please don't recommend other amps, it took me long enough to narrow it to these!
I kinda get this, you don't wanna spend more time, but if you're the one asking you may well benefit from other suggestions from experienced people.

You may also wanna spend a thought on the Randall Diavlo series.
Or the RG series if you're on the cheaper.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I agree with Spambot, if you tell us what sound you're trying to get, we could possibly recommend something better. What kind of thrash metal specifically? Bands?

In the same vein, we can't rank those amps without knowing exactly what sound you're trying to achieve.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A Megadeth type sound is what I'm mainly aiming for, or something like Testament or Children of Bodom. But mainly Megadeth though. And if you really believe there's something better than what I listed, then please feel free to post it.
I was also actually thinking of the 6505+ but I heard the cleans left something to be desired, and for some reason I sort of had my heart set out on a Marshall. Anyone have any feedback on the 6505+ regarding the tones I was looking for?
Quote by Jenny Ibanez
Also is there any difference between the DSL40C and the DSL401C?
The 40C is made in vietnam (or it was korea? I'm not sure) and it's supposed to be pretty meh compared to the old ones such as the 401.
Quote by Jenny Ibanez
I was also actually thinking of the 6505+ but I heard the cleans left something to be desired, and for some reason I sort of had my heart set out on a Marshall. Anyone have any feedback on the 6505+ regarding the tones I was looking for?
Yeah, the cleans definitely leave something to be desired.
One of the reasons though is that it's usually paired with cabs mounting v30's, which aren't the kinda speakers you usually play clean stuff with.

It's usable if you ask me, and for that bands you listed it would work nice.
Maybe not that much for megadeth but for the other ones it would do good.

Also pair it with a tube screamer type pedal in any case, it helps when playing at lower volumes and if you want to get a tighter sound.

A GFS greenie or a bad monkey if you're on the cheaper will work good.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
The 40C is made in vietnam (or it was korea? I'm not sure) and it's supposed to be pretty meh compared to the old ones such as the 401.
Yeah, the cleans definitely leave something to be desired.
One of the reasons though is that it's usually paired with cabs mounting v30's, which aren't the kinda speakers you usually play clean stuff with.

It's usable if you ask me, and for that bands you listed it would work nice.
Maybe not that much for megadeth but for the other ones it would do good.

Also pair it with a tube screamer type pedal in any case, it helps when playing at lower volumes and if you want to get a tighter sound.

A GFS greenie or a bad monkey if you're on the cheaper will work good.

Grazie, Luca. Yeah the new one is made in Vietnam but the problem is I've heard so many mixed reviews, a lot of people saying they prefer one over the other. I already have a tube screamer anyway, my only issue now is picking an amp. It's strange because most of the reviews say that the DSL 40 is miles better than the DSL 401 but I can't seem to find a Youtube video where the DSL 40 is better than the 401, the 401 seems to sound better in every video I find.

I've got two options though (both used)

DSL 40:
- V30 speakers
- C19 mod

DSL 401:
Stock

Which would you go for?
I'd rather get a 6505 for that kind of metal.

Among the two DSL's I'd get the 401 and then change the speaker to a v30, but I still think it would not be "angry" enough.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The biggest problem with the new DSL series is the crappy Celestion 70/80 and the cheap tubes they come with stock. They are also not a direct clone/copy of the JCM2000 DSL series, but they are inspired by them

That is your call on which you'd rather have. either should be fine, but the new DSL40c can do heavier tones better than the DSL401 if that make a difference.8 The DSL40c also has EL34 tubes and the DSL401 uses EL84
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 28, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
The biggest problem with the new DSL series is the crappy Celestion 70/80 and the cheap tubes they come with stock. They are also not a direct clone/copy of the JCM2000 DSL series, but they are inspired by them

That is your call on which you'd rather have. either should be fine, but the new DSL40c can do heavier tones better than the DSL401 if that make a difference.8 The DSL40c also has EL34 tubes and the DSL401 uses EL84

That's the thing, ideally I'd like to mix and match! Which would you personally go for if given the option?
Quote by Jenny Ibanez
That's the thing, ideally I'd like to mix and match! Which would you personally go for if given the option?

I'd get the JCM2000. I have the JCM2000 DSL100 and it sounds really good so I'm a little biased
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd get the JCM2000. I have the JCM2000 DSL100 and it sounds really good so I'm a little biased

What kind of music do you play? And you wouldn't happen to have any pre-recorded samples, would you?
Quote by Jenny Ibanez
What kind of music do you play? And you wouldn't happen to have any pre-recorded samples, would you?

I play punk/hardcore and Prog-rock/metal. My JCM2000 works great and it has been my main amp for the last 2 years
https://myspace.com/teabagginsacmasters/music/songs this is my punk/hardcore band

this is my prog band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ0tbJyuR-U&feature=player_detailpage
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
holy shit does myspace still exist?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah I prefer it to Facebook for music. I guess I should have linked the purevolume page if it still exists
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

I'm not even on facebook or myspace, i just thought it was funny because that's the first time I'd seen it mentioned in ages
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You know Robb I had a hard time understanding which of the two guitarists you were.
I figured you're the blondie 'cause the one with the cap has a recto and you have a DSL but, no offense, you look hella thinner in your profile picture on UG
Quote by Dave_Mc
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Sep 28, 2014,
Yeah, I gained a few pounds, but that video was 2 years ago I've lost some since then.
The amp I was using was my old Strymon moded Spider Valve on the plexi setting
Thanks for reminding me
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Well thinking about it it's been a long time singe I played a gig, I should really find new bandmates.
Thanks for reminding me
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
What about a JVM205? Cheaper than a 210, and it seems like you don't particularly need/care about having 100W.

Apparently Megadeth are using JVMs now. No idea what they used for what albums you want to get close to though. But I say JVM because it is capable of a more modern sound which would be better for CoB and Testament, which both use 6505s (I believe. May be wrong). The JVM would likely allow you to dial in a good middle ground between them and Megadeth that you could be happy with.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What about a JVM205? Cheaper than a 210, and it seems like you don't particularly need/care about having 100W.

Apparently Megadeth are using JVMs now. No idea what they used for what albums you want to get close to though. But I say JVM because it is capable of a more modern sound which would be better for CoB and Testament, which both use 6505s (I believe. May be wrong). The JVM would likely allow you to dial in a good middle ground between them and Megadeth that you could be happy with.

Testament use both a Budda signature amp and a Fender 5150. I thought Bodom used Engl stuff?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Well, shows what I know then.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Out of the three you originally mentioned I personally would go for the 900, but that is me.