I'm a huge John Frusciante fan, and have a couple questions regarding his use of the Boss DS-1 and -2. First, which songs of his feature the DS-1 or 2 prominently? I don't have a great ear for pedals on records.

Second, I've got a Boss Metal Zone and a Big Muff. I know Frusciante used the Muff and other fuzz pedals, but for his DS-1/2 sounds can I get anywhere close with a Metal Zone? I know the pedals are pretty different, but the Metal Zone has a decent EQ so is there a way to dial the "metal"-ness out of it? I don't want to copy him and I know I will never sound like him, just want to see what I can do with the pedals I have.

btw I've got a Peavey Vypyr VIP1 for practice, a Line 6 Spider Valve 112 and Crate Vintage Club 30 if any of those will help me get there. (as well as a Strat obviously)
Last edited by lose311 at Sep 28, 2014,
maybe. it's worth a try since you already have it.

keep the gain pretty low.

you want to get the mid frequency to the exact right point. it's ages since i played a metal zone but i recently got the hardwire metal distortion and i wouldn't be surprised if it's a glorified metal zone (has similar controls etc.)- and the mid frequency knob there really affects the tone of the thing.

the ds1 is pretty scooped, so keep the mid knob not too high (don't scoop it to 0 or anything, but a little bit of a scoop).

keep the bass knob reined in a bit too, a ds1 is a more vintage-sounding pedal so probably doesn't have tons of bass.

If i can be bothered/remember later i'll take a shot with my gear. I also have a digitech hot head which is a ds1 clone with a bass knob. I'll see what I can do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok so I had a quick try just there.

First of all, I'm not that familiar with frusciante/chilis, so I'm not certain which of his songs actually feature them I was just trying to get my digitech metal distortion to sound like my digitech hot head.

It was a bit of a pain. the big problem is the hot head/ds1 is pretty bright and scooped, but if you dial in that type of tone into the metal distortion it actually increases how metal it sounds. if you dial that back it sounds less metal, but also less like the ds1.

as i said above, the big things are the mid knob and the mid frequency- you can massively change how the thing sounds, and it's a bit confusing, since sometimes changing the frequency affects whether your ear thinks there are mids there or not.

anyway, as i said above, keep the gain to more or less the minimum. you want it fairly bright-sounding, so keep the treble up fairly high, but also keep an eye on it as that will also increase how metallic/metal it sounds, so it's sort of a balancing act.

I'd keep the bass fairly flat.

the trick to the mids is finding the frequency the ds1's mids are at, and then dialling in a slightly scooped tone. I'm not sure I achieved that.

The other thing is, I actually found a half-decent lower gain distortion tone by just using my more usual metal setting on the pedal, but rolling back the guitar's volume and tone knobs about half way. That might be worth trying before doing endless tweaking on the pedal. It didn't really make it sound like a ds1, but I thought it was usable for a lower gain distortion type of tone, more like a "standard" distortion pedal than a "metal" pedal. So that's probably worth a try too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
great info, thanks.. I guess some more experimentation is in order. I stopped playing metal years ago so the Zone has been gathering dust, I'd like to find some use for it.
No problem. and yeah, i understand, it's nice to not just have to bin stuff. i'm not sure how similar the digitech one is (i'd guess "fairly", but i could be wrong... i think the voltage is bumped up in them too), but if it is you might get some use out of it with extensive tweaking. problem is even with the gain on minimum it had as much distortion as my hot head with the gain at about halfway up
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
No problem. and yeah, i understand, it's nice to not just have to bin stuff. i'm not sure how similar the digitech one is (i'd guess "fairly", but i could be wrong... i think the voltage is bumped up in them too), but if it is you might get some use out of it with extensive tweaking. problem is even with the gain on minimum it had as much distortion as my hot head with the gain at about halfway up

Yeah well I might have to open 'er up and do some of the mods that are out there. Apparently there are a couple for the Zone that allows you to switch off the metal-ness and get a decent overdriven tone.
i imagine there probably are. if you're handy with a soldering iron (or don't mind possibly killing it if you're not) that might be worth a shot. I would guess there would be some fairly simple things you could do to lower the gain/clipping, but I could be wrong.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i imagine there probably are. if you're handy with a soldering iron (or don't mind possibly killing it if you're not) that might be worth a shot. I would guess there would be some fairly simple things you could do to lower the gain/clipping, but I could be wrong.

Well I have an electrical engineering degree so if I can't mod a guitar pedal I've wasted four years of my life. Anyway I heard good things about Monte Allums' Mods, he has got designs to mod all of the popular Boss pedals and a few other brands as well, and he sells the kits so you can mod them yourself.. pretty good idea if you ask me. Only about $20 for the kit as opposed to paying someone like Keeley closer to $100 to do it for you. Could probably just get the components myself for under $10.. we'll see.

http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html
LOL

Yeah. I haven't tried them but I've heard of them and think they're legit. If you know what you're doing (or already have a lot of the stuff you need), as you said, you could likely pick up the parts for less, and you might be able to find some instructions for something similar online already without paying money. A lot of the free sites have questionable info, though (not all, some of the free sites are legit too). Obviously you know way more about this than me, lol, you'd know long before me if info is legit or not.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
modding a boss? meh. bad platform.

if you got skills, take a boutique type pedal with an open / workable layout and mod that, or better yet, get yourself a home-brew, DIY type kit. there are a lot of good ones out on the market that vary from "i can solder" to perhaps ones that take skill. but if you can solder, and you actually know what the components do, im sure you can make yourself pretty awesome pedals.

boss? meh. printed pcb stuff tucked away in a "i dont want you to touch it" style "idiot proof " enclosure. you need a standard box with a eye hole board i would think . that sounds like your playground.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by lose311
Well I have an electrical engineering degree so if I can't mod a guitar pedal I've wasted four years of my life. Anyway I heard good things about Monte Allums' Mods, he has got designs to mod all of the popular Boss pedals and a few other brands as well, and he sells the kits so you can mod them yourself.. pretty good idea if you ask me. Only about $20 for the kit as opposed to paying someone like Keeley closer to $100 to do it for you. Could probably just get the components myself for under $10.. we'll see.

http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html

FWIW I modded a DS-1 I had with one of the Monte Allums mods (basic recto mod). Instructions were very clear and straightforward and I did the mods myself. I wouldn't say the tone was a big improvement IMHO. It still sounds like a DS-1 at the end of the day. I would mostly run the thing with the tone knob rolled all the way off or else the pedal was way too harsh. Ended up selling the thing.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.