Looking for a new amp, $600ish for my budget. I play mostly rock/metal but I would like to have a decent clean.

Right now I have a Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt currently and I don't dig it.

I'd like to have something to possibly play live and sound good but at least sound good in garage/practice space.

Give me some recommendations to try!
"rock/metal" is as generic as it gets, so be more specific.

If you need to play live make sure the place has a PA system.

Blindly, I'd suggest a Jet City 50w high gain combo or half stack, and either mod it or have it modded with the depth knob.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I play a lot of Tool, Queen of the Stone Age, Sabbath, Metallica, Soundgarden, Audioslave. I'd like to get something close to Adam Jones I suppose, probably my favorite tone out of the bunch. But I love the muddy heavy qotsa shit.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a depth knob?
Quote by ImDesigner
I play a lot of Tool, Queen of the Stone Age, Sabbath, Metallica, Soundgarden, Audioslave. I'd like to get something close to Adam Jones I suppose, probably my favorite tone out of the bunch. But I love the muddy heavy qotsa shit.
Used rectoverb or tremoverb it is then.
Or single/double 2ch rectifier.

The sound of Adam Jones is the ch.3 of a Diezel VH4, and QOTSA use veeery pushed vintage sounding amps - something on the lines of an AC30.

While you'll not be able to sound like Adam Jones without spending more than $3k nor like QOTSA without a british sounding amp, if ya ask me the best compromise you can find that includes all of that + sabbath, metallica and soudngarden is a rectifier.
Also maybe a laney ironheart, but I'm guessing you'll have more luck finding a used mesa for that money considering where you live.
Quote by ImDesigner
Excuse my ignorance but what is a depth knob?
Don't worry, it's not a common thing.

It's a knob found on some amps that controls the amount of negative feedback of the low end of the signal in the power amp.
It's basically a knob to fine-tune the bass response.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Sep 28, 2014,
my carvin v3m would do all that just fine.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Mesa Rectoverb
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Throw an extra $40 and get this
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-JSX-Joe-Satriani-Signature-2X12-120W-BLK-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110354227-i3883291.gc

If $600 is the most you can spend, then this Peavey Ultra 2x12 for $299 would be great and leave you with extra money to get a new set of tubes or a pedal or two
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Ultra-212-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110501319-i3915708.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Interesting. Perhaps I should wait till I have more than $600 to spend on an amp.
Quote by ImDesigner
Interesting. Perhaps I should wait till I have more than $600 to spend on an amp.

Actually that Peavey ultra I linked is a very good amp and it is under your budget by $300. But yes if you save a bit more, you can get some really great amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have about 2 months before I can buy one so I'll def be checking those out. Thanks for the replies and I welcome more of them ;D
Quote by RJH11
Mesa Rectoverb

thats a single right? and others have mentioned singles, they don't have the option for tube rectificaton, just SS did they?

my tremoverb is a dual and has selectable recommentaion. i love the sound of the sag. but i believe i am in the minority.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I would go with a Blackstar HT-5R Combo personally. I own one and got it for $575. It has wicked distortion and nice clean channel on it. Very easy to operate and within your budget. I'm really happy with it and wouldn't of got anything else.
Quote by cyber06
I would go with a Blackstar HT-5R Combo personally. I own one and got it for $575. It has wicked distortion and nice clean channel on it. Very easy to operate and within your budget. I'm really happy with it and wouldn't of got anything else.

No.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by JGM258
I didn't know it was only $600. I want one now since my amp has to be cranked past five for a warm sound, which is a no go for me. I may just pick up a V3m.

right now Carvin has a Ebay special that they incude the 4 button foot switch for 599.00 .... 10 day free return no questions asked policy if you don't like it
Quote by cyber06

no.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Yes its a single rec mesa and its ss recto only.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Hate to be the one to say it, but a DSL covers practically everything. But a JCA will cover a lot to. I only sold mine to further a new purchase. I noticed a few JCAs are hard to find on guitar center and what not, but maybe you can find it dirt cheap on craigslist or something. I got mine for 220, flipped it for a nice brand new Hot Rod Deluxe. Hell of an amp, just wanted a combo.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I was gonna suggest a DSL as well. Not that I'm saying it would be a better option than a Recto, just definitely something worth considering.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I would recommend trying a DSL too. A lot of people hate on them, and I respect their opinions on amps, but on the other hand, I've tried them extensively and I've seen a lot of reputable musicians using them live. I can't say it's my favorite hotrodded Marshall, but it's a good amp for sure. Way better than a V3m. Give it em a chance. They shouldn't be too hard to find.

If not a JCA50H is a good amp to test as well.
you can easily find peavey jsx combos for under 500, get that and get a fuzz for sabbath and tool. Dont forget people ts is going to need a cab! so the single and dual recs aren't exactly an option. if your looking at mesa's f series, dc's, and expresses can easily be found as combos for under 600 as well the jsx is a great amp and are worth considering.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
My single recs a 1x12 combo got it for 400 USD so recs are a option.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
To be totally honest, I dont know a god damn thing about amps. Most of this thread is incoherent to me lol. Like I don't know what 1x12 or 2x12 means. What is a cab (cabinet I assume)? What exactly do heads do? Can anyone point me a good "Amp 101" article or give me a crash course?

Thanks
1x12 and 2x12 is the speaker system .... 1x12 means one 12 inch speaker , 2x12 means two 12 inch speaker ....

head is a amp by it self with out a speaker and cabinet

cab is speaker cabinet

Combo means the amp and speakers share the same cabinet
So are there a lot of speakers without controls making heads mandatory or what is the point of heads lol?
Speakers are speakers. They move air to create sound.

Speakers don't work without an amp driving them. The head is the amp.

Heads and Cabs (with speakers in the cabs) exist to mix and match your favorite head with your favorite cab. It helps you create your tone.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by ImDesigner
So are there a lot of speakers without controls making heads mandatory or what is the point of heads lol?

Because you asked this question (not saying you're dumb, you could be a lot smarter than I am for all I know, but you're new. Nothing wrong with that, gotta start somewhere, we all did. And I'm still new compared to some of the guitarists here.), anyways, because you asked that question and you like heavier music, I'd suggest a Peavey Tube Vyper 60 combo. That'd give you a player's amp with a ton of versatility to screw around with different sounds. You can gradually learn the terms while you're figuring out the tones and fx you do and don't like and your gas (gear acquisition syndrome) will steer itself from there on.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Awesome. Thanks for the clear up. I just want to really understand what options I have to work with. Appreciate all the answers guys

Unfortunately where I live there aren't much places with good selection. I do have a Guitar center but it's kinda small which makes me kind of want to order online (which makes me scurred)
the point for heads verses combo's for me is the weight , some of my combo's are close to 100 lbs , kinda heavy at 53 years old , heads weigh much less making it easier to carry
Quote by Fumble fingers
the point for heads verses combo's for me is the weight , some of my combo's are close to 100 lbs , kinda heavy at 53 years old , heads weigh much less making it easier to carry

In before Cath.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Fumble fingers

+1 i have a 1x12" combo spec'd out at 96lbs IIRC. if its into a truck out of truck, onto sage and back its a pain but doable but not a lot of fun.

if you were to get a head and a cab, two trips half the weight. or one with one in each hand. (pending handle design)

your call.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'm 51 and riddled with old biker injuries and shit. My amp weighs 90lb. I don't carry it anywhere. I just load it onto something like this and wheel it anywhere it needs to go.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by lemurflames
In before Cath.

I knew the dolly pic was coming! I wouldn't be surprised to see "NDD" threads in the future. That is a pretty spiffy dolly.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Oct 6, 2014,
Well, I didn't want to disappoint.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So I have been doing a lot of research (all online as of now) and I am quite impressed with the Peavey Tube Vyper 60 combo.
@lucky, I agree with your reasoning on my own gas and what not. That amp seems to offer a ton of potential for experiment. All of the videos I've seen sound great to me. That will definitely be one I will be hunting down to try out