Hey forum,

I'm currently in the process of negotiating a deal on a guitar through my country's equivalent of Ebay. The problem is that the guy selling lives two hours away.

Would it be a bad idea to ask him to send me the guitar 'dismantled'?
- With the neck and the body separated and individually wrapped.

The guitar in question is a Squier 'Hello Kitty' model. I already own one of these, so I was wanting to use the second guitar as a base for mods. Since I was wanting to repaint it and change the electronics, I was already planning on taking the neck off.

However, I have no experience in this field. Are there any dangers, such as the neck warping, or anything like it? In general it would take the post office a day to deliver the package.

I hope that anyone could give me an answer or insight!
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
taking the neck off allows the guitar to be packed in a smaller length box. this could save some shipping costs so long as the box isn't much bigger than it needs to be otherwise.

as long as it's bubble wrapped sufficiently it should be fine.
Thanks for answering!
Would you reckon the guitar would be fine afterwards? (when properly set up, of course)
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
Quote by Samhuinn
Thanks for answering!
Would you reckon the guitar would be fine afterwards? (when properly set up, of course)

Yes, if it is set-up correctly you should have no issues

Don't you guys have a pretty decent mass transit system, if so it mi8ght be cheaper to take a ride on the train.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 28, 2014,
Just a suggestion: the bus companies here in Portugal offer a very cheap item transport service, and shipping a guitar would cost as much as shipping a small item.
You drop off the items at the bus central in your city, and people can pick up the item at their city's bus central.

It may be worth contacting a bus company that services both your area and the seller's area to ask if this kind of service is available to ship items between your locations.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Sep 28, 2014,
Taking off the neck does not only help cut some of the shipping cost but it also can help avoid damages to the neck joint not to mention neck in general.