I'm learning to sing, but it's really hard to match my voice with my guitar, so I just tune it until it sort of sounds right. Is this the done thing? I don't know what tuning i'm in when i do it and occasionally i think i tune up further than the guitar is meant to go. it's the only way to do it when a cappo isn't an option (using the whole neck). Will i damage my guitar? Should i just persist with trying to match my voice to tunings that other people use?
Just learn to play barre chords and you don't need to tune up or down. Or buy a capo - it is cheap (but you still need to be able to play barre chords).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Sep 28, 2014,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Just learn to play barre chords and you don't need to tune up or down. Or buy a capo - it is cheap (but you still need to be able to play barre chords).

I've got a capo and i can play barre chords. The problem is i don't have enough guitar neck
when it comes to some songs if i put the cappo where i need it.
Quote by Lucbriggs
I've got a capo and i can play barre chords. The problem is i don't have enough guitar neck
when it comes to some songs if i put the cappo where i need it.

Well, you need to learn more than one way to play songs, then.

eg, let's say I'm tuned in DADGAD, and am playing with a Sitar player who is tuned to C#. (This is not hypothetical.) He's got (approximately) eleventy-billion strings on that thing so he's not going to retune. My strings are too light and my low D gets really flappy if I go down any further. What do I do?

I could capo on 11, but that's kind of a nightmare because there's not enough neck.

Or I could capo on 4. Now my "open A" shape is the C# we need. My IV is an open-D shape. My V is my open-E shape. Piece of cake. I can have my alternative fifths bass on the bottom two strings.

Or I could capo on 1. Now my open-C is the C# I need (it's not on an open string, which may or may not be important). My open-G shape is my V, etc.

That is to say: you don't use the capo robotically. There are a variety of places you can put it which give you different voicings, and most of the time you can make reasonable tradeoffs.
Learn to play those songs differently then. You don't need to use exactly the same voicings for every chord as in the original song. There are so many ways to play the same chord.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115