Hey,
i was just up to buy me an ESP Horizon NT-II HRF, as i wanted a guitar that can handle metal and won't make me unhappy in a couple of years.
But now i got the offer to get a used Music Man JP6 Full Option. So my question is would you even test this guitar or just stick to the ESP as i really loved it? 'cause I'm aware of buying a used guitar atm. aswell as i don't have further experiences with Music Man guitars.

Need some advice here. Because if i wanted to test/buy the Music Man, i would have to drive around ~120 miles.
EBMM guitars are top notch, if you think you may want it, go for a drive.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
oh sweet jesus. in my mind yes. i would just straight up buy it unless there were major issues with it.

i actually just fondled a USA custom shop ESP yesterday in sam ash. it was even done up with a nascar paint job Ha. solid guitar. i would pay about 1200-1400 for it new. they were asking 1999 used. looked a few years old.

i would walk up to any rack any day and take any standard factory music man over it without thinking, epecially a JP model.

ill just say among all factory guitars that are mass distributed in todays world, PRS and Ernie ball consistently set the bar in my mind for premium guitars. of course there are TONs of other brands, but im talking walking into any guitar center. PRS and ernie ball just embarrass...just go home stop making guitars everyone else level of quality....any other manufactuer.

that wasnt any form of proper english grammar.

(okay thats a bit harsh...USA top fenders and gibsons can have a foot in the door. ibanez J customs etc. my point is i walk into a guitar center to test pedals and i hardly want to play anything. i pick up ten guitars and play a diddy...nope back on the rack. so much garbage today).
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Sep 28, 2014,
or...just spend that 1700 on a carvin that has the quality and playability of a 3000-4000 dollar guitar. spend another 200-300 on pickups and custom wiring and have a guitar you may never sell ever. exactly made to your specs.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
So it seems clearly that the EBMM is the better guitar.
Can you tell me whether it can handle things heavier than progressive metal?

Carvin's are pretty rare where i live. That's pretty close to impossible to get one i would like.
Last edited by tr66 at Sep 28, 2014,
Quote by tr66
So it seems clearly that the EBMM is the better guitar.
Can you tell me whether it can handle things heavier than progressive metal?

You can use any guitar for any style.

I wouldn't say it is clearly a better guitar site unseen, ESP are very nice, but they are different.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Another question. The EBMM looks like a cheap instrument on pics for me, which i guess it totally isn't. But is this just the looks on pictures or does it really look that simple?
Quote by tr66
Another question. The EBMM looks like a cheap instrument on pics for me, which i guess it totally isn't. But is this just the looks on pictures or does it really look that simple?

If it is the soild color one then yes it is very plain but it is made of very high quality parts and wood.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
well its all subjective. i just gave you my opinion. do you have a guitar center close to you? most stock a few music man guitars you could go check out head to head with any ESPs in there. any music store? before i drove 120 miles i would exhaust the local options.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Our local store is so small that there are only few guitars (of mostly cheap quality like the 50s series of ltd) are stored.
The next store is around 80 miles away but if I'm drivin that range already i could also add those few miles, since on the "120 miles location" i could kinda compare them.

The fact that people say the neck is well playable and that these guitars are so versatile, really catches me. I think i definitely try one.

But in fact.. is it worth buying a used guitar? I know it might be in mint condition on the first look but if there are hidden defects, e.g. the piezo doesn't work or sth. like that.
I have no issues buy used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Man, that is a beautiful dilemma to have imho. I have an ESP Horizon NT II DBSB and it's really a great guitar. For now, I couldn't be happier. Two things that I look for when buying a guitar:
- Quality (obviously)
- Versatility

I don't like active pickups so the Horizon NT-II HRF is a no from me, if it has EMG's.
The Horizon has coil-tapping where the JB6 does not. The JB6 does have Piezo correct? Very cool.
Basswood is softer and more midrangey which is good if you like to play lead and.

I think the JP6 will probably have a better resale value if you ever go down that route.
Good luck with your choice, wish it was me. \m/
Music Man products are made with great care and pride. They spend a lot of time in every process of the guitar. They play like butter. I'm not even a guy who likes thin necks... but every Ernie Ball Music Man I've played is so smooth. Top notch components too!
I'd take my JP13 over any ESP I've ever played, including custom shops.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The small handful of Music Mans I've played (all JP models, including the new Majesty at a clinic a few months ago) have all been absolute dream guitars. Flawless. Would own dozens if I could afford them. Will own at least one, as soon as I can afford it.
Quote by lightningjoe88
Music Man products are made with great care and pride. They spend a lot of time in every process of the guitar.

Indeed. And the reason for that is that they don't build guitars until they're sold. The make everything to order. Once they begin building one, it's already been ordered, either by an individual customer, or by a store for their stock. Unlike most other brands, who make guitars by the boatload, and end up having tons of stock in their own warehouses, waiting on orders from shops.
Im totally mindblown at the moment.

On the one hand there's the awesome EBMM, but it's used and something is blocking my mind about the thought of someone used it before at the moment.

I pretty much forgot about the ESP Horizon NT-2 as a friend of mine send me a link to this beauty:
http://www.guitarsrebellion.com/a_stock_gallery/LTD%20Elite_M-II%20Amber%20Cherry%20Sunburst/grand-1.html
Well and as i had the chance to try a LTD Elite before, I think this might be a pretty good choice aswell, as it saves me around 700 bucks. When i tried one i thought is just like the ESP, but with a different logo, and I'm not looking for prestige.
To be said i would probably switch pickups after a year or so.
The LTD Elite was soposed to take over the ESP standard line, but the LTD on the headstock made people flip so they discontinued them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So if I'm able to get a new one for like 700 bucks less than a used EBMM it wouldnt be the worse deal or am I wrong? Because atm. I'm not only struggling with the fact that the EBMM is used but also that I'm not a fan of the design of this guitar. And as I actually don't care that there's an LTD on the headstock I could deal with that really well.
i must say that is a stunning looking guitar. im not a fan of ESP looks on most of their stuff, but thats a good one in the looks department.

not a fan of the design of the JP6? you mean looks? book by the cover dude. but dont knock one till you play one. and it would be a pretty hard feat to find one that plays bad. they come from the factory setup pretty perfectly so somebody would have to jack that up pretty good, but if its set up right its one of the best playin guitars around.

JP models have some of the most versatile switching systems with the peizo, or get the really crazy one with the stereo or Midi setups. for most thats totally uneeded. but for some people that can take advantage of that type of versatility, its an unbelievable guitar platform.

700 is a lot of money. thats considerable enough to make a decision, at least for me. so do what you feel. 120 miles is also a lot to drive. not sure how long you plan to own this thing, but 700 bones and a 120 mile drive for something you dont know would probably knock me out of it.

if i really wanted a music man (because i already know i love them) and the BEST deal around was 120 miles away, and it was a dream guitar for me, i would do it. but i have a lot of desire there to make that happen.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic