Hi

I am currently playing bass in a covers band, mainly playing in pubs. We play a variety of stuff mainly punk and indie, such as Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, The Jam, Kings of Leon, The Killers, Oasis etc.

My set up at the moment is as simple as you could like – P-Bass going into a Trace Elliot amp then through a DI box to the PA and the only pedal I am using at the moment is a Korg Pitchblack tuner.

I am considering purchasing a compressor pedal to add to my set up as I do have a tendency to get a bit carried away at time and start hitting the strings pretty hard, which can lead to a bit of unwanted distortion and peaks in the sound. I would ideally like to even out the sound a little bit, but without losing the nice warmth from the tube amp.

I’ve done a quick search and couldn’t find any recent threads on the topic.
My questions are – is it worth buying a compression pedal for the situation I am in? And are there any decent ones on the market for a reasonable price (preferably under £50).

I have seen a few on the interest such as this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biyang-Compress-Guitar-Compressor-Pedal/dp/B004F1FBYU#productDetails which seem to get decent reviews but would like some more expert opinions if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
I'm just going to be that guy and say don't buy an expensive pedal just to compensate for a flaw in you technique.

Also a decent compressor pedal will set you back quite a bit, cheap ones are utterly useless. The most affordable yet still good ones are the Aphex Punch Factory and EBS Multicomp.
Quote by Spaz91
I'm just going to be that guy and say don't buy an expensive pedal just to compensate for a flaw in you technique.

Also a decent compressor pedal will set you back quite a bit, cheap ones are utterly useless. The most affordable yet still good ones are the Aphex Punch Factory and EBS Multicomp.

And I'm going to be that guy that says, "Listen to that guy ^^^^."
Quote by Spaz91

+1 to this. A compressor is to be used subtly, or for an effect... it's not the best approach to controlling your playing (that lies in your fingers).

http://www.ovnilab.com/ - this is the place to visit for all things bass-compression related.

One of the best bass compressor pedals is the Markbass one - but it has a few downsides. It's quite pricey (you get what you pay for), bulky, and requires a non-standard PSU.

As for getting anything worthwhile < £50... I doubt it. Possibly if you go used. I got my Okko Coca Comp for £60 used, but things like that aren't something you bump into every day.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
For what you are looking to do, you are going to have to set your sights higher. While I agree that no effect can compensate for improper technique, a good compressor can and does help even out the dynamics of your notes. But to do this, you need a compressor that has an "Attack" control and a "Release" or "Sustain" control. By setting them so that the compression starts as soon as you play the note (the"Attack") and it also shuts off pretty much instantly (the "Release" or "Sustain"), you get a pretty even dynamic across your notes, unless you go absolutely crazy with the way you pluck your strings.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley