Is it really necessary to make those weird faces like Steve Vai when you play? I just started looking at myself in the mirror while I play and I imagined myself as a fan. I felt that I looked sort of boring. I'd like to be able to headbang while playing but I mess up my rhythm when I do. I can walk while playing but not too much. I'd rather focus on my playing but I don't want to be boring when I play in front of people. November will make a year since I started.
Stuff like this depends on what type of music you play. Jazz-people often sit down and don't move much and the Shoegaze-genre didn't get its name for nothing. Since you mentioned headbanging, I'd assume you play a heavier style (rock/metal) where a bit of movement is greatly appreciated by fans. Although it is in no way necessary (ever seen J. Mascis play?).

With that said if you need/want to add a bit of action to your act, just make sure you can play the songs and try to incorporate the moving around part. If that messes with your rhythm there's a good chance your rhythm isn't as good as it could/should be. So... just keep practicing, I guess. Once your playing becomes automatic you can concentrate on moving, until that becomes automatic too.
Last edited by godzillarissa at Sep 29, 2014,
You can't expect to be moving like a rockstar right away. When you play for a longer time the moving thing will come automatically. Just keep practicing, and the headbanging will come with time.
Quote by RiffEmAll
I'd like to be able to headbang while playing but I mess up my rhythm when I do. I can walk while playing but not too much.

you have to be in sync with your hands. then it's just a matter of practice.
You won't be able to jump about until whatever you're playing becomes completely second-nature. Practice until you don't have to think about what youre playing, and then you'll be free to strip-off while playing etc.
Quote by godzillarissa
and the Shoegaze-genre didn't get its name for nothing.

Is it bad I just now got what the name meant?

And it helps to know what you are playing to add physical expression. Knowing by memorization and by theory to the degree you need to involve it for expression.

Also, I don't move much during a fast solo. Slow solos and rhythm playing are when I start throwing my body.
No one plays with any feeling alone in their bedroom man, once you get with a band and a have an actual crowd in front of you is when that comes out
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by CJGunner7
No one plays with any feeling alone in their bedroom man, once you get with a band and a have an actual crowd in front of you is when that comes out

I guess solo recording means nothing then :p
Quote by CJGunner7

wat
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Some people just don't naturally react like that when they play. Mark Knofler looks half asleep when he's playing, whereas some people make all kinds of faces.

Vai is purposefully putting on a show, so he's over the top, but it's deliberate.
Well make faces or not. It's because you link your play to your talk region in your brain. So you will probeply see allot of this in players who started playing by ear. With or without an education. If a player just plays what he know to play it wont happen. If a player plays from feeling, like talking it makes your face react to the emotion and expression of it. So no not necessary but inherent to great playing.
Last edited by boek60 at Oct 2, 2014,
If any of the riffs I've composed don't make me headbang or start bobbing or moving -- I know it's time to scrap them.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
If any of the riffs I've composed don't make me headbang or start bobbing or moving -- I know it's time to scrap them.

Word man if in someway i'm playing something, and i'm not really feeling it I automatically scrap it too. Another good Idea is to record what you've played, and come back a week later to listen to your recording it's like a completely different person playing. Doing this will really make you have an outlook at your playing.
Last edited by Black_devils at Oct 2, 2014,
I consider what you're talking about showmanship rather than playing with feeling. Of course in a live setting, putting on a show is what it's all about. That doesn't have to include faces and jumping around, but many performers choose to add that to the show. What I consider playing with feeling deals with vibrato, crescendo/decrescendo, accenting notes, etc. You can really tell the difference between somebody going through the motions playing all the right notes and somebody who's really trying to tell a story with his playing, knowing where he's going in the song and how he's going to get there.