hey everyone,

I'm thinking of getting an acoustic amp which will be used for gigging, we currently play for crowds of about 100 people.
My question is, would it be worth buying a 100w amp so i can play through that, or get a 50w amp for around £200 cheaper and mic it up through our PA system? Currently we only have vocals going through the PA as i don't mic up my electric guitar amp.
But i'm thinking if I could mic up a 50w amp then it would work out cheaper than purchasing a 100w acoustic amp.

any thoughts?
cheers, Ant
If you have a PA system skip the acoustic amp altogether and go directly into the PA with the guitar.

The whole idea of acoustic guitar amps is pretty idiotic to begin with.
If you want a different sound get a good pre and go from that to the PA system.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
i've done that before but it didn't sound too great to me, might of been the guitar its not the best, it's a Stagg one, pretty cheap and nasty really i got it from a friend.

i was thinking of getting an Epiphone Hummingbird at christmas so might just wait till then to see how it sound through the PA.
thanks!
Quote by Spambot_2
If you have a PA system skip the acoustic amp altogether and go directly into the PA with the guitar.

If you want a different sound get a good pre and go from that to the PA system.

Hmmm.

If the TS is playing for groups of 100 people, he may have wanted to start with a well-designed acoustic guitar amp to begin with <G>.

These two are from Carvin:

One has a pair of 6.5" woofers and a tweeter, the other has a 12" woofer, a 6.5" midrange and a tweeter. Power output is 200W and 250W respectively. Both have mini-mixers built in:

These allow you to run acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass (the 12" speaker is in a closed-back ported cabinet) and/or a vocal mike through the system, and further offer built-in FX and an FX loop. One of the channels allows a stereo input (iPod, etc.) and there's a powered USB port to maintain the charge in your iPod/pad/phone.

In addition, both of these amps have tilt-back built in, both have pole mounts (top hats) built in, and both offer extension speakers with the same top hats built in. In addition, there are DI outputs to run the amp into a good PA as well without resorting to an additional mike. There's also a headphone output to allow practicing at home with full amplification and effects (blast the iPod if you wish) while not disturbing the wife's book club.

Spambot's got a point, however, in that these amps approach a decent PA system in function. On the other hand, these are very compact and uncomplicated while being extremely capable for small venues.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 29, 2014,
I'd have to side with Spambot_2 here, the idea of placing a mic to an amp only to have it played through the PA system seems very redundant. The preamp will give you control over your sound. If anything, I'd place a mic to the electric amp.

If you'd rather have the amp, even 100w acoustic isn't enough to my ears.
Quote by Spambot_2

The first part I agree with, the second part is kind of silly. Obviously a PA is a good solution and it makes an acoustic amp redundant in a lot of cases, but to say that the idea is idiotic is missing the point of the product. They're generally small, portable amps for people who just want to grab and go without setting up a PA and mics. You don't need a microphone, and you can put your guitar in one hand and your amp in the other. A PA is often a bigger investment and more of a hassle to set up. It's enough to bump you up over drums or a combo without having to mess around with a full PA setup.

In this situation, though, an acoustic amp does not seem like the smart solution. An acoustic pickup into a preamp straight into the PA makes sense. Using an extra mic and amp doesn't really add anything useful if you're just going to run it into the PA anyway.
I (acoustic) gigged for maybe 12 years with an electric guitar amp, because I liked the sound - not Tak jangle. What worked for me was to use the amp primarily as my monitor and take the FX loop out to the PA system. You don't need a very big amp for that, I used a Peavey Classic 30 and later a Fender Blues Deluxe.

The only strong argument I can see for getting an acoustic amp is the mic input. If you aren't using that, then a keyboard amp or the like would IMO be a better choice if you want something more hi-fi than an electric guitar amp.
I gig acoustic typically twice a month and just run my guitar into a good DI and into the PA mixer. This one might be overkill for some but it is pretty sweet:
http://www.lrbaggs.com/preamps/para-di-acoustic-preamp
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Hi everyone-
I have a Takemine G series acoustic-electric and would like to be able to modify the sound with an amp. I plan on getting an electric guitar soon and have no need for an acoustic amp (why get the same exact sound with a bit of reverb if you don't need it louder) and I'm wondering if anyone has a good amp around 150$ that will work for both my acoustic-electric and possible future electric. It doesn't need good acoustic sound but I want it to work with it any help is greatly appreciated!
Please don't bump old threads, especially with unrelated questions. Make a new thread!