Page 1 of 3
I discovered Ed Sheeran the other day, in my classic tardy to the party style, and he had a line in one of his songs about eventually being forgotten by the crowd. This got me thinking of the idea of lasting value. What recent music do you think the children of this generation will be able to identify? What will become the next "Don't Stop Believin" or "Free Fallin'?"
booty by j-lo & iggy

the problem with old music is we get better at making sounds so all the old music sounds really boring and dated
Quote by chrismendiola
What recent music do you think the children of this generation will be able to identify?
Nothing because today's music's all the same.

Also probably gangnam style.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by chrismendiola
What will become the next "Don't Stop Believin" or "Free Fallin'?"

What are these?

Quote by Thrashtastic15
the problem with old music is we get better at making sounds so all the old music sounds really boring and dated

This is correct.
Last edited by captainsnazz at Sep 29, 2014,
So you're assuming that "Free Falling" and "Don't Stop Believing" are examples of longevity? What do you even mean by that? Those songs have been around for what, 30-40 years tops? Let's wait and see if they'll still be remembered in a few decades.

What about the Goldberg Variations or Notre Dame polyphony? That shit's been around for centuries and it's still identifiable. 30-40 years relative to centuries is a drop in the bucket. Heck maybe 50 years from now no one will have any idea who Tom Petty and Journey are.

We need to establish what "longevity" even is. Is there like a quantifiable relationship between popularity and date of composition? By your post you seem to have all the answers so please enlighten us
Quote by Thrashtastic15

If you're talking about it from a recording and post-production standpoint, then yeah, that's true. But you can still enjoy the musicality of it that makes it listenable. People of all ages can recognise the hits of Journey, The Beatles, Aerosmith, etc. Is there anything that can have that kind of lasting value made today, in your opinion?
Quote by E7#9
So you're assuming that "Free Falling" and "Don't Stop Believing" are examples of longevity? What do you even mean by that? Those songs have been around for what, 30-40 years tops? Let's wait and see if they'll still be remembered in a few decades.

What about the Goldberg Variations or Notre Dame polyphony? That shit's been around for centuries and it's still identifiable. 30-40 years relative to centuries is a drop in the bucket. Heck maybe 50 years from now no one will have any idea who Tom Petty and Journey are.

We need to establish what "longevity" even is. Is there like a quantifiable relationship between popularity and date of composition? By your post you seem to have all the answers so please enlighten us

That's a fair point, relativity might cause some confusion. Maybe we could use a few decades as a point of reference?
Last edited by chrismendiola at Sep 29, 2014,
Quote by chrismendiola
If you're talking about it from a recording and post-production standpoint, then yeah, that's true. But you can still enjoy the musicality of it that makes it listenable. People of all ages can recognise the hits of Journey, The Beatles, Aerosmith, etc. Is there anything that can have that kind of lasting value made today, in your opinion.

they're only lasting because of the old farts that keep playing them
anaconda
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by So-Cal
they're only lasting because of the old farts that keep playing them

And new farts keep discovering them and thinking they're great. That's how that works.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
And new farts keep discovering them and thinking they're great. That's how that works.

this does not happen
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
this does not happen

Hmm...yeah, I guess that's why most of the Pit still enjoys the Beatles, despite that we're basically a 18-25 demographic.
every person i know that liked the beatles only liked them in their mid-teen years. theyve all long since moved on to newer shit

pls dont take this as an open invitation to correct me i am talking specifically about the people i know
Quote by soundgarden1986
every person i know that liked the beatles only liked them in their mid-teen years. theyve all long since moved on to newer shit

pls dont take this as an open invitation to correct me i am talking specifically about the people i know

i am extending this to all cool people
i don't know why i feel so dry
I like The Beatles but I don't love them. I just think they're decent and listen to them every now and then. There's only a handful of older bands that I really like anyway.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
i enjoy the beatles when i hear them

you guys are such h8rs sometimes
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i enjoy the beatles when i hear them

you guys are such h8rs sometimes

yeah but me hating a thing shouldnt be a surprise

you post in the gaming thread you know how i function
The beatles are my favorite band

But I guess that doesn't count since I was in my mid teen years only a couple years ago...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
oh wait

pass the four loko
i'm a leader at last to my local folks, but still broke tho
fuck the beatles, go yoko
you know, bro?
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
It's pointless to even speculate. We're still transitioning from old to new media.
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
It's pointless to even speculate. We're still transitioning from old to new media.

exactly

some people still make music with chinese flutes (aka old shit wood)
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by willT08
exactly

some people still make music with chinese flutes (aka old shit wood)

will i got chinese flute plugins and they just dont sound as good as the real thing
PM me for newts
I attribute certain songs to specific memories so some songs are timeless to me, new and old.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Quote by E7#9
My god this is such a loaded topic

This.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by chrismendiola
What will become the next "Don't Stop Believin" or "Free Fallin'?"

You'd have Glee and John Mayer to thank for that
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by willT08
all the stuff i listen to

no one even knows that music now
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Spambot_2
The beatles are my favorite band

But I guess that doesn't count since I was in my mid teen years only a couple years ago...

sure it does. beatles are sweet
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
to answer the posters original question i personally think some bands that will stand the 20-40yr test of time will be:
Kings of Leon
Black Keys
Foo Fighters
John Mayer

Thats just what comes to mind initially
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Page 1 of 3