Hi everyone,

Just decided i need some new strings on my Epiphone SG Goth Edition, i dont really know much about strings but with that guitar i generally play heavy metal and heavier rock music.

I think the current strings on it are 10's, can someone recommend me an actual set of strings and explain why?

Also, how easy are they to change on this particular guitar? Ive never done it myself, thankyou for your help

Harley
Changing strings is easy, I'm sure there are several tutorials on youtube for changing strings on a SG/LP type guitar.

The type of string to use is totally up to your personal preference. I'd start with the standard kinds - D'Addario, Ernie Ball, GHS, DR, and just get a different brand of 10s every time you need to restring. After a few months of that you'll start to notice a preference developing. It's all just trial and error. Ask your local shop for a few common sets, they'll be happy to suggest some.
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings is easy, I'm sure there are several tutorials on youtube for changing strings on a SG/LP type guitar.

The type of string to use is totally up to your personal preference. I'd start with the standard kinds - D'Addario, Ernie Ball, GHS, DR, and just get a different brand of 10s every time you need to restring. After a few months of that you'll start to notice a preference developing. It's all just trial and error. Ask your local shop for a few common sets, they'll be happy to suggest some.

Thanks a lot, do you think 10's are the right choice for heavier styles of music? Or should i go for a heavier gauge.
Again, it's about what's comfortable for you personally, not trying to match a string to a type of music.

For someone starting to learn guitar I would absolutely not suggest using a heavier gauge right away - if anything, you might want to start on 9s if you get hand/finger strain. There's no reason to fight a larger string just because you heard it was good for metal. Tons of people play metal on 10s. I wouldn't even consider upping the gauge until you've played for a while.

This is assuming you're in E standard or drop D tuning. If you're tuning lower then you'll probably want a heavier gauge to compensate for that drop in tension.
Quote by Bixter
Thanks a lot, do you think 10's are the right choice for heavier styles of music? Or should i go for a heavier gauge.

Are you/ have you been happy with the strings you have been using? if the feel too loose/slinky then you may want a thicker gauge of strings. I have always found that on Gibson/epiphon I like 10 gauge strings unless I am down tuning a lot. I then find I like 10-52 (they are a 1/2 set for lower tunings, but keep the higher strings of a smaller set.

I suggest you go with Roc's advise and find what you prefer.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate