It's going in a 2013 SG that currently has 57 Classics. I'll be getting my shop to install it, but I've read all this stuff about swapping in 1 meg pots. Why do people do this, and what does it accomplish? Will I get a nice Sabbath tone if I just get them to install it with the pots that are in there now?
Higher pot values load the signal less and as a result, more highs are present in the signal. It's a noticeable difference but not in-your-face. It's all a matter of personal taste. If it were me I'd probably leave the original pots in, unless I found the pickup too muddy.
Cool, that helps. Funny, some things I read almost seemed to suggest these pickups were unplayable unless you had 1 meg pots.
I don't think so. I've used them with 500K pots and they sounded great. There's a small group of people that absolutely love 1M pots, which is fine, but that's definitely an optional thing. Keep in mind that virtually all humbucker pickups are designed/voiced assuming you're using a 500K pot or lower (some vintage-correct ones assume a 300K-ish pot and Duncan suggests a 250K with the JB) so I don't think you're going to find any pickups out there that are unusably bad at 500 and good at 1M.

If your SG is really dark you might try the 1M pots later on to keep some of those highs and harmonics in, but I wouldn't just toss in the 1M pots blind assuming they're the best fit.
Awesome, that takes care of that. In goes the Iommi with the 500k pots! Thanks for the help guys.
Quote by PB26
It's going in a 2013 SG that currently has 57 Classics. I'll be getting my shop to install it, but I've read all this stuff about swapping in 1 meg pots. Why do people do this, and what does it accomplish? Will I get a nice Sabbath tone if I just get them to install it with the pots that are in there now?

Just remember that Tony didn't play with a Gibson Iommi pickup.
Did you get the version that comes with the accessory leather fingertips?
Quote by dspellman
Just remember that Tony didn't play with a Gibson Iommi pickup.
Did you get the version that comes with the accessory leather fingertips?

I'm actually getting a nice early Sabbath tone from my Kemper, but I figure there's always that little bit more to shoot for and my understanding was that the Gibson signature pickup is modeled after the Birch pickup Iommi used in the 70s.
That's not what's happening there.

The highs lost by the cover are negligible, a 1M pot makes a pickup way brighter than just taking the cover off does.
Yeah, I suppose it depends on circumstance, but what struck me as funny was the pilgrims progress. - Two steps forwards, one step back. I'm deeply prejudiced against covered humbuckers, and that is really what prompted my comment, a little tongue-in-cheek. However, I have tried modding 500K tone pots by scraping off the last bit of resistor track to get near-infinite resistance, and I just went and had a listen. This is SD Jazz in a very dark-sounding guitar through a bright H&K Statesman Dual EL84 amp. The difference between infinite resistance and maybe 400K was very small, I'm not sure I would have spotted it if I hadn't known it was there. (I did check the pot resistance before I installed them, so I know that the dead spot was working properly.) OTOH, I know that covers make a big difference to these particular pickups, because another set in a different guitar were originally covered, and I took off the covers to improve the tone.
Interesting. My experience has shown just the opposite. Granted, I couldn't A-B it back-to-back, I noticed negligible a difference between covered and uncovered (for the same pickup) and a definite difference between 500k and 1M pots.
Quote by Invader Jim
Interesting. My experience has shown just the opposite. Granted, I couldn't A-B it back-to-back, I noticed negligible a difference between covered and uncovered (for the same pickup) and a definite difference between 500k and 1M pots.

I've just remembered something that might be significant. I've started to go a little (not much) top-end deaf, and have mild tinnitus. So it is possible that I'm not hearing these differences as well as I once could. OTOH, my hearing was more acute when a took the covers off the SD Jazz. So I think I had better bow out of his discussion or risk misleading someone.
I was a few years younger myself (though I'm not that old now), but I wrote down the results at the time. Anyway it's well-known that your top-range hearing starts to crap out in your early 20s due purely to age, not to mention the noise-induced hearing loss experienced by musicians and kids who listen to their headphones with the volume maxed.

But if it sounds good, it is good. That's what I say (though to some who know me, that would probably seem quite ironic)...
Quote by PB26
I'm actually getting a nice early Sabbath tone from my Kemper, but I figure there's always that little bit more to shoot for and my understanding was that the Gibson signature pickup is modeled after the Birch pickup Iommi used in the 70s.

Gibson putzed with various magnets and wire to try to get close, but Birch potted his pickups with epoxy, and no one really remembers what, exactly, he did to produce those pickups, nor could they find a way to take a look. They were also a different size compared to the Gibson version (Gibson forced their pickup into a standard humbucker size).
Update: got it installed without messing with the stock pots, and it sounds incredible. Even better than I was hoping.

If you're on the fence about this pickup and you want that early Sabbath growl, go for it -- the tone you get will take care of the sticker shock.
Quote by dspellman
Put...in...guitar.

Did...it's....awesome.