Curious to know if you guys do or not. thinking of keep using my small practice amp for home use and recording and use a bigger amp for only gigging and jamming.
I have lots of amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For a long time I had only one amp to cover everything. Now I have a small herd:

- 1949 vintage Carvin amp (when I want to cover Charlie Christian)
- 1963 Fender Super Reverb (my first real amp and part of my history)
- Mesa F-30 (main gig rig that does everything well)
- Fender Super Champ XD (small grab-n-go practice amp that sounds great for my music)

I could easily get by with any one amp except the old Carvin, but choices are nice if you have the $$$.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 30, 2014,
I have a small amp and a big amp. One is for loud and one is for less loud. Both is for extra loud.
Normally small amp covers everything.
I have one amp only and I don't gig.

I'm thinking I'll get a fairly light combo if I'll ever start reharsing in a different place from where I keep my current amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I have a Cube 30 or something that I use at home. I use whatever amp is available at the practice studio. Recording I use amps at the studio. And I borrow a head for tours.

I'd love to be more fussy, but I live in central London so transport makes things a no-go.
I use the same amp for home practice and gigs.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I like to use my gigging rig for practice too simply because I like the sound and playing on a practice amp never lived up to the sound of the half stack, so I stick with that.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I practice with GR5 on my computer and jam using my 6505+..saves a lot of tube time.

I hear that tubes start to go off at about 500 hrs, so that's about 5 or 6 months practice for me @3 or so hrs a day, not gonna change them that often!
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 30, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
I have lots of amps.

+1
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I have two and I only occassionally play with others. Neither of them could be considered a proper practice amp.
Nowadays I've gotten to where I have a MG15CFR at the house I write/practice on and my JCM rig is at the practice house next door. I used to carry the big rig back and forth between houses to practice on just because but having it this way now is so much better....and like Tempoe said, it saves tube time. The MG still has a hint of Marshall tone in it so it's not something completely left field sounding when going between the two.
^ nice avatar!

I don't drive so back when I was in a working band I had a home amp and a band practice/gigging amp. Then I got a Rebel 20 and had a cab at home and a couple of cabs for band practice/gigging and would just wag my lunchbox around. Lately, I've only been playing with friends for the neighbor's cats so I mainly use my RM but I have a few other amps that I bust out on occasion. There are currently 3 seperate rigs and 2 drum kits set up
in my living room for weekly jamborees I hold for my bandless friends and I.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with sporting one amp for all things electric guitar but I think most of us end up with multiple amps eventually.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Sep 30, 2014,
If you're playing with other people, from a garage jam to a national tour, ALWAYS have a backup. It's that simple.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have several amps and cabs so I can mix and match depending on my mood. But I typically use my Krank for practice and my Marshall for gigging
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
These days I use a modeler for both home and playing out. The power amp and the speaker cabinets vary according to the venue.
I tend to use my Valveking for practice as it's setup in my living room. there have been times where I only had one amp and used it for both.
I use a Mesa TA-30 and a 2 watt Valvetone Impact MkIII. I've used both for practice, recording, jamming, and live performance, and both work tremendously despite their wildly different builds.
I have a small peavey envoy at home and a jet city jca50 for band practice and giging. Altough lately i just use amplitube most of the time, because i can instantly record any ideas i get.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Right now I use my Marshall G30R CD combo for everything but right now I am just a freelance/studio hobbyist guitar player for lack of a better way to put it. I have been eye'ing used amps and cabs and would love to own a quarter stack setup someday (amp and 2x12 cab or even a 2x12 combo).
Last edited by klejst at Oct 1, 2014,
I have been using VOX VT30 modaling amps in clubs for several years now and I own two of them and actually alternate them depending on the gig. One is set up with programming that is more suited for rooms that require cleaner sounds and less volume (smaller rooms, less rock). The other VT30 is set up for classic rock and heavier gigs and has a microphone cabinet mount on it so it can go through the PA. At home I have a VOX Pathfinder that is just the perfect size and sound for a bedroom amp.
I rarely sell any of my gear because I use it for many years and by the time I'm done with it is isn't worth much so I have a range of amps and cabinets going back to the late 70's in garage. (Just a sample is the two roll and pleated 70's Kustom cabinets or my Traynor YBA-1A bass head that sits on top of the 1977 Peavey Mace amp.)
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 1, 2014,
For me, it depends on the gig & how motivated I am when I start loading gear
If the gig involves playing Van Halen covers, I bring my full VH re-amp rig with a 50W Mojave Scorpion, load box/attenuator, a power amp + separate cabs, rack reverb/echo unit, & flanger, phaser, OCD, the whole deal.
If the gig is blues or rock in a decent sized venue, I'll use my SLO 100 with the rack reverb/echo running a pair of 2x12s (I have a Marshall 1960B 4X12 for bigger venues when needed). With the SLO, I don't use any pedals at all.
For smaller venues & being very lazy, I use a 20W 1X12 Soldano mini-SLO combo by itself. No effects of any kind, just guitar into amp. I do miss reverb though.

I can mix & match any of the stuff too. Sometimes I use the 1X12 combo with a matching Soldano 1X12 cab + the rack reverb/echo. Sort of a really cool mini-stack that sounds huge
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I use my Toll-Free Express for everything bedroom related, which includes jamming with a guitarist or bassist. The JTM45 clone gets brought out any time I play with a drummer, or do anything in a live setting
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
At home for practice and doodling I use a 1974 Fender Champ slightly modified to take a 6L6 power tube. Tried it for band practice, we keep it quiet enough, but wasn't pleased with the sound in that particular room so I switched to my 1973 Fender Super Reverb for band practice and gigging.

If I play a large venue and need more volume, I lug around a 80's Peavey MX and a 1967 Kustom 2x12 cabinet, which is probably why I have a double hernia...but it's 130 watts, solid state preamp into tube power amp, sounds very good although not quite as nice as the Super Reverb, and will handle anywhere I've ever played without going past 7 on the volume knob. No, your Marshall 100 watt stack will not out loud me...it's been tried...and I'll still play clean leads...I've also used it for a dual amp setup, but switched to using both channels of the Super Reverb. One full tone, one bright.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
The JTM45 clone gets brought out any time I play with a drummer, or do anything in a live setting

Way to go!

Two amps as well. Little AVT20X for bedroom and Blues Deluxe for gigs.
Not really on topic but I'm going to post it anyway.

Gear I owned and used prior to joining UG (practicing and jamming for 10 years)

Fender Telecaster
Marshall Valvestate combo
1978 Electra LP copy (briefly)
... That's it

Since joining UG my GAS has been ignited and I now have a separate jamming/practicing rig using:

Ibanez RG42FM
Agile Al-3100
PRS SE Custom 24
Peavey Vypyr 30
POD HD 300
JCA50H
Stiff 1980 50watt
Randall 2x12 w v30s

That doesn't count the stuff I've sold since joining.

My point is I think it's hard to have only one amp for everything while posting in this forum.
I have the Nineteen80 for gigs and practice but I play it at home anytime I can. I have a Vypyr for low volume, as I don't really like the HD300 through headphones as much. I also have a little Valvestate combo I inherited from a buddy and a GX130C head for when I want to get my Death/Grind on
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I could use my RM100 for everything if I wanted to but for practicing I just use whatever is easiest. That normally means my GT-100 into my JTM45 because it's always set up in my lounge room and ready to roll. The boys rock over for rehearsal and I just switch it on and go; the RM100 is all the way in the next room near the front door where it's easiest to load out for gigs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I could use my RM100 for everything if I wanted to but for practicing I just use whatever is easiest. That normally means my GT-100 into my JTM45 because it's always set up in my lounge room and ready to roll. The boys rock over for rehearsal and I just switch it on and go; the RM100 is all the way in the next room near the front door where it's easiest to load out for gigs.

You possibly have the most convenient life ever
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
It didn't happen by accident.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Rig #1: right now my rig for smaller gigs is a a Orange Dual Terror with a Zendrive acting as a more of a lead tone or rhythm if i want to go heavier i just go to the fat channel.

rig #2: 1974X clone at places where i can get tube distortion on it. it takes a lot to get it there but if we are micing, i kind of tilt it away and back so it isn't as intense anywhere.

Rig #3 Splawn Nitro or Mesa Tremoverb with a cab loaded with K100's (K85's to be exact but they are pretty much identical).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by musicandthewave
Curious to know if you guys do or not. thinking of keep using my small practice amp for home use and recording and use a bigger amp for only gigging and jamming.

I think that the best way to save you sound, using "send" and "return" inputs. So, you just set you specific sound and its done. You can set your sound wherever you want and it's doesn't mater is it studio, large concert or your home, you will always have your own sound. It's very usefull when you don't have a time to set sound on live stage quickly.
Does anybody use this way?
I think that the best way to save you sound, using "send" and "return" inputs. So, you just set you specific sound and its done. You can set your sound wherever you want and it's doesn't mater is it studio, large concert or your home, you will always have your own sound. It's very usefull when you don't have a time to set sound on live stage quickly.
Does anybody use this way?
I use a Vox Valvetronix VT80+ for practice at home, and occasionally at band practice. I keep a 50 w H&K Switchblade at one practice spot for another band, and play out with two H&K Tubemeisters.

It's nice to have options.
I use my first half stack (Ibanez X tone blaster solid state) for practice sessions at home when my fiance is not around. I have a small roland cube for practice sessions at home when my fiance is home. She works nights and sleeps when I normally practice. I also have a Peavey 6505+ with a Marshall 1960a cab for band practice and live shows.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
curently, I use a fender blues junior for home practice and band rehearsals, for gigs I use either a vox ac30 or a 50w sovtek head into a marshall 4x12 haha