Hey Guys,

I am about to buy either some Wizards or some Texas heats to add to my 4x12 with 2 swamp thangs. Can anyone give me input on what the Wizard/ST 4x12combo sounds like? I play death metal with tuning an entire octave down in E. Just want to see what everyone else thinks about the two. I do really like the texas heat for their mids, but also think the wizards will add brightness to the ST.
i haven't tried the wizards

ST/TH sounds pretty brootal though (but i've only tried it in a 2x12 EDIT: and not tuned down ).

problem with combining the wizards is they're more british-sounding. Some people might like that (a more british-sounding speaker combined with a more american-sounding one), some might not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks! thats good info. I have noticed that from listening to the wizards. Tim from Ear Candy actually is the one persuading me to go with the ST/W combo so I was wondering if anyone knows first hand. I do love the TH from what I have heard of it in down tuned stuff.
I agree with Dave, the TH pairs very well with the Swamp Thang.

The wizard is Eminence version of the Celestion G12t75 that is the "common" marshall speaker for the last 30 years. It has a scooped tone and may not be what you really want to pair with the swamp Thang. The bad thing about pairing speakers is most of the time you just have to bite the bullet and buy them and see if they work.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Someone round here (maybe craig? maybe someone else?) had one of the UK-voiced eminences combined with one of the USA-voiced ones and really liked it. I can't remember which ones, though.

^ I thought the wizard was the g12h30-ish eminence? As I said, I haven't tried it though.

And yeah combining speakers (or even just trying speakers) normally means buying them (bit like pickups). Problem with combining is that unless you know a combo is known to work, you can end up with something that sounds horrible. Most of the well-regarded combos I like- however I'm not sure I preferred the TH/ST combo to just the TH on its own. The ST is very neutral sounding and (to my ears, and with my kit) I'm not sure it added anything much. I kept it in a cab though because it does a different sound from most of my other speakers, though. A lot deeper and more modern-sounding.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and got 2 wizards and 2 swamp thangs. Ill post an update after i build my cab and let you guys know what I think!
Dave your right, the Man-O-war is the G12t75. Damn I'm slippin'
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Wizards are a pretty good pairing with Swamp Thangs. The thing about pairing another speaker with ST's is that you want a speaker to go with them that has a good upper midrange. If you don't, the cab will sound kind of "blanket-y."

EDIT:
Someone round here (maybe craig? maybe someone else?) had one of the UK-voiced eminences combined with one of the USA-voiced ones and really liked it. I can't remember which ones, though.

I had paired Swamp Thangs with Man O Wars at one point. I did like it, but since then I have taken the Swamp Thangs out and paired V30's with the Man O Wars. Great sounding cab.

My favorite Emi American/British pairing (although not ideal for TS in this case) is the Cannabis Rex and the Private Jack. Absolutely phenomenal sounding.
Last edited by CECamps at Sep 30, 2014,
Quote by ShadowlandsTX
Can anyone give me input on what the Wizard/ST 4x12combo sounds like? I play death metal with tuning an entire octave down in E.

Wait, what?
It doesn't matter.
None of those speakers can reproduce "an entire octave down in E".

You're going to mostly be listening to harmonics two octaves up. Most 4x12s drop off rapidly below 110Hz or so, and a standard E is 82Hz. You'll mostly be hearing things around 164 Hz.
Quote by ShadowlandsTX
thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and got 2 wizards and 2 swamp thangs. Ill post an update after i build my cab and let you guys know what I think!

sweet, yeah i'd be interested to know what you think

Quote by CECamps

I had paired Swamp Thangs with Man O Wars at one point. I did like it, but since then I have taken the Swamp Thangs out and paired V30's with the Man O Wars. Great sounding cab.

My favorite Emi American/British pairing (although not ideal for TS in this case) is the Cannabis Rex and the Private Jack. Absolutely phenomenal sounding.

thanks craig. i sort of thought maybe it was man o wars, and then i started second-guessing myself and thinking it was governors.

i haven't tried either the CR or the PJ. I know a lot of people like the CR alone with brighter amps. I'm guessing the PJ has a bit of bite if it's anything like a greenback, so that might even out nicely in a combo.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you realize wizard are going to loud and $%^$%&%& right?

just sayin.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
you realize wizard are going to loud and $%^$%&%& right?

just sayin.

yep. thats why i like em :P
Quote by dspellman
Wait, what?
It doesn't matter.
None of those speakers can reproduce "an entire octave down in E".

You're going to mostly be listening to harmonics two octaves up. Most 4x12s drop off rapidly below 110Hz or so, and a standard E is 82Hz. You'll mostly be hearing things around 164 Hz.

yeah its filthy. the swamp thangs actually do quite well that low. They give it a lot of boom!
i just need something to brighten them up
just bear in mind that eminence is pretty optimistic with its sensitivity (and wattage) ratings. I wouldn't necessarily expect the wizard to be that much louder than anything else (based on the eminences I have tried), but I could be wrong.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It'll be fine. The Wizards put out a good, balanced sound. Any sensitivity differences will be imperceptible. The Swamp Thangs will fill out the lows and low mids and you'll essentially have a good complementary combination of speakers most likely.
Just an update...I built my cab and the pair sounds AMAZING. Anyone wanting a thick all around great metal tone...this is a good pairing!!
Quote by ShadowlandsTX
Just an update...I built my cab and the pair sounds AMAZING. Anyone wanting a thick all around great metal tone...this is a good pairing!!

Hey -- if you can find one, grab a powered subwoofer and try it with your current setup.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a Carvin 1801A (18", speaker, 700W RMS internal amplifier). Run it out of your FX loop output.

and if you LIKE that, go and find one of the Steve Lukather-designed ISP Technologies Vector SL (it's a 15" sub in a specially designed cabinet with a 600W power amp and some amazing circuitry that will peel the lows off your signal, feed those into the sub and then feed everything else back into your 4x12.

You've gotta hear what that sounds like if you're downtuning into bass guitar territory.
Quote by ShadowlandsTX

nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?