Hi,
So I got a 1500 euro budget and am after an amp that had lots of gain but also good cleans and is realible and pedal friendly. What do you thing of the 6505 plus ? Am playing paul gilbert and buckethead stuff. BTW I don't want a marshall not hating but it's not for me. Open to other recommendations. Note they have to take pedals well as im a pedal freak. And I don't want to buy second hand.
Thanks in advance
you can buy 3 6505+ combos for that, great amps for metal/rock, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They cut through so well live. Cleans are not impressive at all though
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 30, 2014,
The head is over 1000€, the combo is cheaper though to my knowledge there is some difference in distortion channel compared to head version. But its an excellent metal and hard rock amp either way.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Yes, yes, it's a very good amp.
Cleans leave stuff to be desired, though they're not bad.

For P Gilbert and Buckethead I'd rather get a JSX/XXX II or a mesa though.
They're more "liquid" sounding.
Yeah, they're smoother.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Mesa rectoverbs are great amps covers tons of ground
with very nice cleans. Love mine.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Oh hell yeah that's my main music of choice
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Tons of gain more than you'll need.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
One thing I just remembered. What about Laney Ironheart? One of the things it has gotten praise from is actually having a good clean channel for a high gain head in this price range. The high gain channels are less powerful than the monstrous chug of 6505 but instead it is articulated and clear. Comes in 60w and 120w versions and both have wattage attenuator. (though I believe its just a post-phase inverter master volume, but it works for taming the amp down or getting some power amp saturation from phase inverter).

Plus its affordable in europe. 60w head is 666€ (lol! I swear that price must have been set on purpose. ) in Thomann.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
One thing I just remembered. What about Laney Ironheart? One of the things it has gotten praise from is actually having a good clean channel for a high gain head in this price range. The high gain channels are less powerful than the monstrous chug of 6505 but instead it is articulated and clear. Comes in 60w and 120w versions and both have wattage attenuator. (though I believe its just a post-phase inverter master volume, but it works for taming the amp down or getting some power amp saturation from phase inverter).

Plus its affordable in europe. 60w head is 666€ (lol! I swear that price must have been set on purpose. ) in Thomann.

The Laney Ironhearts are sweet, still don't get why people aren't talking about them, I'd own one if I didn't need more guitars
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I've never met any 6505 owners who like the cleans on it. I like the Rectoverbs and it suits your tastes though 25 watts may not be enough power should you want to play in a band and play high gain type of music.
Quote by Spambot_2

For P Gilbert and Buckethead I'd rather get a JSX/XXX II or a mesa though.
They're more "liquid" sounding.
Yeah, they're smoother.

+311
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The JSX would be my first choice, too.

If I were to get a Laney, I'll go with the VH100R. I had the IRT120 briefly and it definitely has nice Cleans and lots of gain; however, the Mid is not as good. I still have the VH100R/
cleans are kind of mediocre on the 6505s

if you do want one, GAK in the UK has crazy deals on them currently. you'd just need an EU kettle lead and it should work fine (same voltage, give or take).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you are looking at the 6505s, make sure you check out the 6534+. If I had to get another one of those amps, I would definitely get the 6534+. Gain seemed to me to be more rich and complex, and not as dry and boring. Cleans and breakup were better too than the regular 6505.

Still has way too much gain though, those amps definitely need a 12AT7 or a 5751 or something like that in V1. The whole last quarter on the gain knob is completely useless.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Dave_Mc
cleans are kind of mediocre on the 6505s
But then again, is anything about the 6505+ not metalcore?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
^^I am very happy with mine and don't play metalcore in any way, shape, or form.
They work amazingly well for death metal and modern black metal.

It's just that too many people think that if you own a 6505+, you have to also tune to drop-G and play breakdown after shitty breakdown whilst wearing skinny jeans, a designer flannel shirt, and a knit cap perched on the very back of your head...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Oct 1, 2014,
Hey KailM, I have heard a lot of people playing all kinds of metal with 6505 but never the thick oldschool Death metal kind. See Slugathor, Ivth Crusade era Bolt Thrower and Grave Miasma and such stuff, not the Necrophagist shit which is sonically one step from modern Djenty stuff. Do you think it works well for that too or shall I keep looking for a good deal on some Marshall or Mesa?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Spambot_2
But then again, is anything about the 6505+ not metalcore?

I dunno. It's a good while since I've tried one, but I seem to remember the lower gain (but still overdriven/distorted) tones were pretty good too. Whether I'd agree with that now if I tried one today, though, I dunno.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ and
Quote by KailM
^^I am very happy with mine and don't play metalcore in any way, shape, or form.
They work amazingly well for death metal and modern black metal.

*bad stuff about metalcore*
I am sorry, I didn't mean it in an offensive way :p

Thing is, it makes the sound associated with metalcore and it's what most people use it for.
But again, I like how it sounds much and I didn't want to imply it can only make metalcore sounds.

Also don't ever say "drop G" again in such an apparently offensive manner
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
^ and
I am sorry, I didn't mean it in an offensive way :p

Thing is, it makes the sound associated with metalcore and it's what most people use it for.
But again, I like how it sounds much and I didn't want to imply it can only make metalcore sounds.

Also don't ever say "drop G" again in such an apparently offensive manner

I wasn't taking offense to your comment specifically -- I was just pointing out that popular opinion is that they are only 'metalcore' amps, when in fact, they don't have to be dialed in that way. I realize that they are the go-to amps for that genre, and they work well for it. It's just that they're a bit more versatile than that.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by MaaZeus
Hey KailM, I have heard a lot of people playing all kinds of metal with 6505 but never the thick oldschool Death metal kind. See Slugathor, Ivth Crusade era Bolt Thrower and Grave Miasma and such stuff, not the Necrophagist shit which is sonically one step from modern Djenty stuff. Do you think it works well for that too or shall I keep looking for a good deal on some Marshall or Mesa?

Honestly, you have to scoop the mids a little (I know, heresy right?). I run my amp's mids at around 4. You can even go as low as 3 and still have plenty of mids to cut through a mix. 4 is the sweet spot on my rig. But where I was really able to dial in a more old-school death metal sound was by adding an MXR 10-band eq. I cut the 'middle' mids by 6db. I boost the 125 hz slider to +6db and also do a similar boost to the upper mids. So it's not like I don't have mids in my tone, I just cut out the honky "middle" mids, if that makes any sense. I also cut the highest slider by 6db to eliminate fizz.

Keep in mind that speaker selection also plays a huge role in how you EQ. I have Eminence Governors and Swamp Thangs in an x-pattern. If they were all Governors (basically V 30s), I would have to EQ differently to get a good death metal sound.

And finally, I also use an HM-2 at times, but I run it in the loop to merely add a different color to the sound. With a 6505+, I've never gotten the HM-2 to work well up front of the amp or through the clean channel -- it doesn't have tightness or articulation. In the loop, with the lead channel, it adds that chainsaw grind and super thick tone but maintains a very tight and articulate response. It can get exactly the same tone as AtG's Slaughter of the Soul (one of the best tones of all time, in my opinion).
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
The 6505 crunch channel works pretty good for basic rock, heavy blues etc. People buy the 6505 for the gain channel pretty much exclusively though. Even with the pre set at 9 o'clock it still rips out some good gain. I use a V30 in mine, a bit smoother
Quote by KailM
Honestly, you have to scoop the mids a little (I know, heresy right?). I run my amp's mids at around 4. You can even go as low as 3 and still have plenty of mids to cut through a mix. 4 is the sweet spot on my rig. But where I was really able to dial in a more old-school death metal sound was by adding an MXR 10-band eq. I cut the 'middle' mids by 6db. I boost the 125 hz slider to +6db and also do a similar boost to the upper mids. So it's not like I don't have mids in my tone, I just cut out the honky "middle" mids, if that makes any sense. I also cut the highest slider by 6db to eliminate fizz.

Keep in mind that speaker selection also plays a huge role in how you EQ. I have Eminence Governors and Swamp Thangs in an x-pattern. If they were all Governors (basically V 30s), I would have to EQ differently to get a good death metal sound.

And finally, I also use an HM-2 at times, but I run it in the loop to merely add a different color to the sound. With a 6505+, I've never gotten the HM-2 to work well up front of the amp or through the clean channel -- it doesn't have tightness or articulation. In the loop, with the lead channel, it adds that chainsaw grind and super thick tone but maintains a very tight and articulate response. It can get exactly the same tone as AtG's Slaughter of the Soul (one of the best tones of all time, in my opinion).

Thanks! I will keep this in mind. When the tax returns come I will probably get a new amp and sell one of the old ones. I also have the HB G212 with Vintage 30 speakers coming and I intent to replace one of the speakers with G12T75 which I already have to add some bottom end. Plus a cheap HB 7 band EQ, which I think is a Boss clone, to experiment with.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3