So I have a Line 6 POD HD500X that I've been using to record, now I've been thinking about micing my amp. So I want to get an SM57, but then I started thinking "hmm, where does the other end of the XLR cable go?" which led me right back to having to plug it into the my POD, can I do that? Would that be any different from just going direct? Is there some other piece of equipment that I'd need? Am I completely way off and it's much simpler than I made it out to be?
If the POD has a mic input then you can use the pod.

I have a feeling they don't however if you're saying there's not plug. In which case you'd need an interface.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

It looks like it does, but does that mean that all I need is an SM57 to make this work? Just plug in the 57 to my POD, mic the amp, and plug in the POD to my computer via USB?
Yeah, it is that simple.

Maybe you'll need to turn off all of the fx on the pod but that's it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Yeah, it is that simple.

Maybe you'll need to turn off all of the fx on the pod but that's it.

Hmm, think I'll need to turn them off? If that's the case, does that mean I might as well just sell this thing and get something cheaper + individual pedals? It's a real shame if I can't use the effects. Also aside from the effects thing, it will sound different than recording direct, right? (The reason I ask is because in my head it feels like since it's going through the same POD it'll sound the same as just going direct)
Quote by Jenny Ibanez
Hmm, think I'll need to turn them off? If that's the case, does that mean I might as well just sell this thing and get something cheaper + individual pedals? It's a real shame if I can't use the effects. Also aside from the effects thing, it will sound different than recording direct, right? (The reason I ask is because in my head it feels like since it's going through the same POD it'll sound the same as just going direct)

1. You'd want to turn them off because you're recording the end of your chain. I don't think you'll be able to send the effects into the amp AND record the mic into your computer at the same time. I could be wrong about that, though. Check the manual?
2. You should probably do that, but in the meantime you can practice recording a mic with the POD, no reason to wait until you have a better rig, start learning now.
3. It will sound different because you'll get the added character of a real speaker moving air into a microphone instead of a wholly digital chain where that is emulated.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Jenny Ibanez
Hmm, think I'll need to turn them off? If that's the case, does that mean I might as well just sell this thing and get something cheaper + individual pedals? It's a real shame if I can't use the effects.
You might as well keep the fx on if you want to, it's only my idea of recording that implies a clean signal, sorry about that
Quote by Jenny Ibanez
Also aside from the effects thing, it will sound different than recording direct, right? (The reason I ask is because in my head it feels like since it's going through the same POD it'll sound the same as just going direct)
Going direct into what?
A clean audio interface?

If you turn the fx off it will sound the same.

Well not the same, I reckon the POD's converters and pre's aren't really high quality, though it'll not sound THAT bad.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.