Hey guys, just wanted to ask about a feedback issue I've been having with my current set-up. I currently use an EVH 5150iii 50w with 2x12 cab for my amp. I also use an MXR GT-OD on top of its distortion. My noisegate is an MXR smart gate set at approximately 2 o clock (If I turn it up any higher I suffer from significant tone loss). I use my Dean ML Knight with EMG 81/85s, and also use my Schecter C-1+ for my Metallica cover band. I have constant issues with feedback, even with using the smart gate. It is especially bad if I'm in line with the front of my amp (Even if I'm not standing directly in front of it), and usually happens during rapid palm muting and stops. It's very frustrating hearing your guitar squeal when the room is supposed to go silent. If anyone could help me with good EQ settings on both my amp and the GT-OD, and also help with whatever feedback probems I'm causing, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm learning more and more about live perfomances, and I need to learn these little tips and tricks.
How much gain are you using?

This might be a faulty piece of hardware somewhere, rather than needing a specific EQ setting.

Even my Peavey 5150 212 is tameable without a gate. It just has a lot of preamp hiss.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I'd start with some new preamp tubes personally.

Your using the GT-OD as a clean boost right?

I have a MXR smart gate and It is on 9-10 O'clock and it kills al my unwanted feedback when I use 2 OD's as boost on top of my DSL.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm using the GT-OD on top of my distortion with the output at 9 o clock, gain and tone at 8 o clock. My gain on the channel (which is a high gain channel) is at 10-11 o clock. Safe to say I have no clue what I'm doing to a certain extent, still learning!
Your settings seem OK, I'd swap some of the preamp tubes around keeping track of what went where and then report back any changes.

Here is a video I made swapping some tubes around.

(Invalid img)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 30, 2014,
Might be a good idea to record a sound clip of your amp doing it, so we can hear what might be wrong?
I'll try to get a sound recording on here. Btw, I forgot to add that the issue only happens at loud stage volumes.
Buy a single 12AX7 and try it in every position. You should have spare tubes anyway so even if you don't have a faulty tube it isn't wasted money.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What sort of feedback is it?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I'm not good with a tube amp yet, so I'd probably have to have a technician look at it. And the feedback is just the kind you get when you lift your hand off of the strings. Except it happens to me even during palm mutes and stops.
Quote by gunsnroses109
I'm not good with a tube amp yet, so I'd probably have to have a technician look at it. And the feedback is just the kind you get when you lift your hand off of the strings. Except it happens to me even during palm mutes and stops.

Honestly if you can change a light bulb you can deff change a preamp tube. The 12ax7 are the small tubes in the amp and they pull straight out of the socket. You may have to wiggle the tube side to side gently while you pull up. That is literally what it takes to remove a tube.

I can tell you right now any tech you take it to will charge you a minimum of $50 labor and price of parts which 99% will mark up from the real cost if you buy it on your own.

Your choice and your money, but if you plan on playing guitar for a while I highly suggest you learn the basics for routine maintenance on your own gear or you can end up paying a lot of money to someone else.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just got a tube amp a few months ago. I do know how to do all guitar maintenance, but I simply haven't done an amp yet. And when I hear about new tubes, I always here the word "bias". Can someone shed some light on what this means?
You only ever have to bias power tubes. Biasing is setting up the quiescent current around which the signal swings. It's not very hard to adjust if you have the tools and some amps are easier than others, some don't need it at all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ that

the preamp tubes are plug and play, no biasing required at all.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i am betting on a microphonic tube.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by gunsnroses109
Hey guys, just wanted to ask about a feedback issue I've been having with my current set-up. I currently use an EVH 5150iii 50w with 2x12 cab for my amp. I also use an MXR GT-OD on top of its distortion. My noisegate is an MXR smart gate set at approximately 2 o clock (If I turn it up any higher I suffer from significant tone loss). I use my Dean ML Knight with EMG 81/85s, and also use my Schecter C-1+ for my Metallica cover band. I have constant issues with feedback, even with using the smart gate. It is especially bad if I'm in line with the front of my amp (Even if I'm not standing directly in front of it), and usually happens during rapid palm muting and stops. It's very frustrating hearing your guitar squeal when the room is supposed to go silent. If anyone could help me with good EQ settings on both my amp and the GT-OD, and also help with whatever feedback probems I'm causing, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm learning more and more about live perfomances, and I need to learn these little tips and tricks.

I think you don't need to use another pedals effects - EVH 5150ii has already strong and good balanced sound, you just need to turn down gain a little. It will sound cleaner and readable. Did you try it?
Last edited by ghostnastromo at Oct 2, 2014,
Quote by ghostnastromo
I think you don't need to use another pedals effects - EVH 5150ii already has strong and good balanced sound, you just need to turn down gain a little))

the OD isn't there to increase distortion. it is there to boost it and tighten up. if its TS based it also boosts the mids and cuts the bass.

put gain to zero, volume up all the way tone to taste. i think OP is using too much gain on the amp though. but that is the reason.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the OD isn't there to increase distortion. it is there to boost it and tighten up. if its TS based it also boosts the mids and cuts the bass.

put gain to zero, volume up all the way tone to taste. i think OP is using too much gain on the amp though. but that is the reason.

I agree with you, i think if you are using a boost before, you don't need to turn up the gain level on amp, it needs to find a good balance of gain.
Last edited by ghostnastromo at Oct 2, 2014,
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Also i see that high gain level destroys sound structure, makes it unreadable.
8 o'clock is barely any gain at all on the lead channel of the 5150 III. I normally run mine at 9 o'clock with a modded tubescreamer clone and turn it up to 10 o'clock when I just want a bit more.

There shouldn't be any feedback. It's probably a microphonic tube, especially if it comes out more with heavy palm mutes.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
8 o'clock is barely any gain at all on the lead channel of the 5150 III. I normally run mine at 9 o'clock with a modded tubescreamer clone and turn it up to 10 o'clock when I just want a bit more.

There shouldn't be any feedback. It's probably a microphonic tube, especially if it comes out more with heavy palm mutes.

I agree with you. If you have a feedback you don't need to set any gain on amp, the better way boosting it before. Tubescreamer is the best way.
100% volume, 0% gain. Tone depends on my mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM2qWZYbInI

Is this what you are experiencing?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Oct 3, 2014,
Quote by gunsnroses109
What is your settings on your tube screamer clone?

What sound do you need?

Just for boosting
gain: min
vol:max
tone: 10

Dirty, but sustained
turn up gain a little and move you tone
That video helped a lot. That's actually not my problem though thankfully. And thanks for the settings. I just want to tighten up the heavy distortion, and get smoother lead tones.
Quote by gunsnroses109
That video helped a lot. That's actually not my problem though thankfully. And thanks for the settings. I just want to tighten up the heavy distortion, and get smoother lead tones.

We're welcome!!!