You know, that one like you'd hear form the Byrds (Tambourine Man)

I know the Beatles more than kickstarted the thing, or at least made it popular, but where exactly did it start?

Was listening to Townshend's The Good's Gone and it has that immaculate, dream of a riff I'm always drawn to. I just learned he used a Rickenbacker on that album, but the song's theme is very much against the grain of 60's pop that would feature a jangly sound. I was wondering if he was picking up not just on the Beatles or whomever, but anyone else.

Granted Townshend was the constant experimenter (and truly innovator). Not sure if that specific song used a 12 string.
Last edited by uberpsycho at Sep 30, 2014,
Well according to wikipedia the 300 series was launched in 1958 so I'd guess around about then. I've only tried... er... one rickenbacker, but that specific tone did very much seem to be part of the guitar. So I would guess it started with the guitar.

Depending on what you mean by jangle, some of the fenders are fairly jangly too, especially the telecaster, which goes back to the early 1950s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah that jangly sound also was related to the amps of the day too I think... specifically I'm thinking the Fender Twin Reverb

But as far as "exactly"....? Hmmm.... October 7, 1958. Anyone who disagrees with me can bite me. I REJECT YOUR VALUE SYSTEM ENTIRELY!!!!
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
LOL

and yeah the blackface fender type amps probably helped too. though the beatles used voxes at the start (and maybe for a good while after that), I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah yeah those Beatles voxes... definitely part of the sound...

We're still @ Oct 7, 1958 though
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
LOL
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?