I'm picking up a nice interface (Sapphire 6) with two inputs this weekend and I want to get two decent microphones to go along with it. I play a lot of acoustic and classical guitar but more than just strumming. It would also be nice to be able to mic an amp with one of these microphones if I needed to but that's not a necessity.
I was thinking it would be good to get one large bodied condenser mic and one small condenser (maybe I'll get a matched pair of pencil mics instead of just one). I'm looking in the $100 price range and aiming for versatility. These will be my first decent recording mics.
I know the Audio Technica AT2020 and the Samson C02 are popular. What are some other mics I should consider?
Thanks!!
In that price range, you'll be buying something you'll grow out of probably sooner than later, at which point, you'll be buying again.

That said, if it gets you in the door though, when otherwise you wouldn't, then it's all good.

Check out Behringer stuff. In the "bang for the buck" department, you can't beat them. Don't believe all the anti-Behringer rhetoric you'll find out there. Just take care of it and you'll be fine.

I'd consider a large and a small diaphragm condenser so you'll have some options for recording other things later.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
+1 for Behringer gear for recording. It's not always as sturdy as whatever it's cloning, but as long as you look after it the sound's pretty good for a fraction of the price. Behringer do a clone of the CO2 called the C2 (not obvious at all) which are pretty solid mics. The C1 is a clone of the Samson CO1 and is pretty nice too, although I prefer the pricier B2 Pro myself.
Behringer certainly makes some products "in the style of" other products, but do they really make a clone of an equally inexpensive mic, or are Samson and Behringer both cloning a more expensive mic?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by UseYourThumb
I'm picking up a nice interface (Sapphire 6) with two inputs this weekend
Have you considered other stuff?
'cause I'd say you should definitely consider other stuff.
Quote by UseYourThumb
It would also be nice to be able to mic an amp with one of these microphones if I needed to but that's not a necessity.
An electric guitar amp?
Quote by UseYourThumb
I was thinking it would be good to get one large bodied condenser mic and one small condenser (maybe I'll get a matched pair of pencil mics instead of just one).
They call them large and small diaphragm condensers.
Quote by UseYourThumb
I'm looking in the $100 price range and aiming for versatility. These will be my first decent recording mics.
If you're gonna spend $100 on each, I wouldn't go as far as calling them decent.

If you also want to mic an amp and you want a really all arounder mic, get an SM57.
If for some reason you absolutely want a condenser mic, the best cheap one I can think of is the Rode NT-1A.

In any case, a single half nice mic will be much better than two less than average ones.
Quote by axemanchris
Behringer certainly makes some products "in the style of" other products
And also shameless copies.
Their xenix line is a 1 to 1 copy of the mackie onyx using lower quality materials.
Hell it even suffers from the same exact crosstalk issues...
Quote by axemanchris
but do they really make a clone of an equally inexpensive mic, or are Samson and Behringer both cloning a more expensive mic?
AFAIK the CO1 and the C1 aren't copied from anything.

You got any source, chatterbox?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Oct 1, 2014,
I agree with having an SM57 as one of the mics because when it comes to either micing the guitar itself or an amp it does a nice job. As far as condensers I can offer a few suggestions. I have a pair of Rode NT-1 (original issue) that I love on vocals and while they do a nice job on acoustics, they are still in the $225.00 range which was out of the range of the OP. One of the best condenser mics I have for acoustic guitar mics is a very inexpsensive M-Audio Nova that I bought used at a garage sale for about $30.00. It was dirty and had a few dents but I took a chance and it worked besides it included a nice Monster mic cable. I tried it on a song that I was recording along with an SM-57 (the SM-57 was near the sound hole and the Nova about 8-10 inches back from where the neck joins the body). I was playing a Yamaha nylon string guitar and did a solo on the song. To this day it is one of the best acoustic recordings I have ever done. This mic is not good for vocals or anything like that but I really like it on acoustic guitars.
Also like a few cheaper AKG mics.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 1, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
AFAIK the CO1 and the C1 aren't copied from anything.

You got any source, chatterbox?

I've got a C1, and my bandmate has a CO1, they look the same, they sound near identical, they both come with that same hard-mount base and attach to it the same way. Also Behringer make a pair of C2 matched condensers (like the Samson C02), and a similar looking version of the C1 with a pad, high-pass filter, and pattern switching called the C3 (like the Samson C03).
I'm assuming thats $100 each and not total? I think an SM-57 is a good idea as one of the mics, as they're fairly versatile, and one of the few pieces of music equipment you can find for ~$100 that is widely used by professionals.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I did some more research and ended up going with the Samson C02's. The Behringers seemed to have a lot of buzz about malfunctioning so I stayed away from that. I don't need a dynamic mic so I didn't consider the sm57.
Here's what I threw together with the Focusrite saffire six and the Samson C02's. It was clipping in a couple spots but worked well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R150C1hPzcs