so i gave my guitar to a so called "tech" to get rid of the fret buzz. it still ****ing buzzes and he said its because there may be a duff fret somewhere, and they could do with being set again prehaps.

He set it to a medium action in order to limit the buzz. its not awful i guess, but the bridge saddles are as high as they can go. infact, the height screws are on the very last bit of the thread in order to keep the strings high enough.

do you think i should just replace the saddles, or get taller height adjustment screws ?

the only other reason im leaning towards new saddles, is that the high e is sitting too close to the edge and slips when i apply any vibrato or do pull offs. the tech didnt sort that out either, and im just wondering if you can get saddles that could pull the string spacing in a bit ( its a deluxe player strat with 54mm / 2 1/8 spacing as far as i can tell)

Thanks
I should add, is it worth just upgrading the trem entirely ? i could possibly get a wilkson steel block trem with 54mm spacing to bring in the high e.
I'm pretty arbitrary about things like that, so I would just shim the neck angle to win some saddle space, and maybe shim the side of the neck pocket to get the strings properly lined up. I've done both those things on my two strats. - If indeed that is the right fix for your buzzing problem. It sounds more like it might need some fret levelling.

OTOH, I thought a got some improvement in tone when I changed from cheap alloy saddles to pressed steel ones, so I now have those as replacements on two guitars.
you need to find the sourse of the buzzing and get that fixed. if it has a bad fret then getting that filed would seem like the thing to do.
they may be a bunch of poor setup and wuality issues going on. a proper strat should be able to have fantastic playability with good action. that doesnt make sense. did he asjust the truss rod?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
it was set up well when i first got it, but it had 9s on so i swapped them for 10s.i also adjusted the trem to make it flush to the bridge, as it was floating before. thats when i started having issues with set up.

i think he has adjusted the truss rod, but it could well be a bad fret. its not terrible, but i would like it sorted. even so, if i sort the fret buzz, that doesnt solve the issue of the high e being too close to the edge of the fretboard.
Quote by monwobobbo
you need to find the sourse of the buzzing and get that fixed. if it has a bad fret then getting that filed would seem like the thing to do.

Yeah, this. Replacing the bridge or otherwise fiddling with the bridge will do ****-all if you have a duff fret. What you should is ask the tech to figure out which fret is buzzing and either replace that fret or fix that fret.
Yep, find the buzzing fret and fix that and go from there. If you lowered the bridge the saddles have to be raised to get the same action back, but if it was set up properly from the start, little else should need to be done.

If you check your local hardware stores, there's a good chance you can find longer screws, take one with you to match the diameter and thread pitch. You can also find Strat saddle screws online, but I'm not sure about extra long ones. Do some googling.

And next time take it to a different tech. Doesn't sound like this one did a very good job. That's what caused me to learn to fix my own, 30 years ago a so called tech left me with a pickup that flopped out of the cavity onstage and made a really ugly noise, then refused to admit he had done it...the day before it had a trim ring holding it in...and all he was supposed to do was change strings, no reason to touch the pickups at all. I started doing it all myself...and it wasn't easy getting info 15 years before the internet existed...

To find a bad fret it's not hard but tedious. Try each string, on each fret, till you find where the buzzing stops. The last fret you played is most likely the offending one. Start at the nut and work toward the other end, on each string, till you find it. Sometimes it's hard to hear it when you get really close, one or two frets away, depending on what the problem is. But it should usually be obvious when you go one fret above the bad one.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...