So i just bought an hd500 and im really confused on how to set up. My plan was to run my fender vibro champ for clean and then switch amps to my valvetronix for a dirty channel. Is there anyway i can fit the pod into this configuration or do i have to reconfigure my idea? Also is there a way i can bypass the preamp in the vox without the 4 cable method as it does not have an effects loop. Neither of my amps have effects loops. Sorry im really hopeless at this
Last edited by eknumber9 at Sep 30, 2014,
The HD500 has everything you need, including a whole lot of dirty channels and a whole lot of clean ones. Are you unclear on what you have there? You can get rid of the fender and the vox altogether and replace them with some kind of powered speaker.

Typical setup:

I knew that was an option but i was hoping to use it more for effects than amp sims. Would it be a more viable option to just go with the powered speaker and get rid of the amps all tpgether?
You can simply run the output of the FX you want to go to the clean channel panned hard right, and then use the right output to go to the Fender, then run the output of the FX you want to go to the dirty channel panned hard left and the run the left output to the Vox. The HD 500 outputs in stereo, so switching from one entire rig to another is pretty easy.

The powered speaker you're looking at is a Carvin PM12A, about $269, give or take. It's got a 12" LF driver, a 1" tweeter and about 400W RMS of power (should you need it). It weighs in at around 30 pounds and is very easy to cart around. You can use it like a floor monitor wedge, as shown, or you can put it up on an ordinary amp stand, or (since it has a built in "top hat", you can run it up onto a speaker stand at ear level. Pretty much all of the amp and cab sims built into the HD500 are better sounding than the amps you have now.

Last edited by dspellman at Sep 30, 2014,
Wow thanks a ton man. The main reason i didnt just go powered speaker in the first place was the money issue but you made it sound like its a worthwhile investment. Could i run more than one speaker to get a stereo effect? I know you can blend amp sims on the pod but could i run one sim through two different speakers?
Man I'm green as dspellman's guitar with envy of you guys. I'm trying to convince my wife that If I had a decent multi-fx I could practice silently (w/ headphones). At present I only use a 10A frontman amp with no effects and I'm really not that excited about the sound coming out of it. I've got a PA system so something with a balanced output would be sweet.
Looking at getting either a HD500, Zoom G5 or Boss GT-100. Zoom seems to win on price.

What are your thoughts
From what ive read you cant beat the pod in terms of amp sims and in my opinion line 6 is making the best digital stuff out there. I have heard good things about the others but have not used them so i cant be a real big help so my vote is line 6
Quote by eknumber9
Wow thanks a ton man. The main reason i didnt just go powered speaker in the first place was the money issue but you made it sound like its a worthwhile investment. Could i run more than one speaker to get a stereo effect? I know you can blend amp sims on the pod but could i run one sim through two different speakers?

Yes. You can actually run two completely different rigs on the HD500 (though if you don't have the X model, you'll have to budget your DSP usage) at a time, and you can pan one right, one left and output them (in stereo) to either two different powered speakers or to a stereo power amp and then to two separate speakers.
Quote by Barndillo
Man I'm green as dspellman's guitar with envy of you guys. I'm trying to convince my wife that If I had a decent multi-fx I could practice silently (w/ headphones). At present I only use a 10A frontman amp with no effects and I'm really not that excited about the sound coming out of it. I've got a PA system so something with a balanced output would be sweet.
Looking at getting either a HD500, Zoom G5 or Boss GT-100. Zoom seems to win on price.

What are your thoughts

Not my guitar, not my rig. I *do * have seven Carvins; just not that one. And I've got that amp stand as well.

I have both Pods (several) and an older Axe-FX Ultra. I've tried the zoom and Boss GT-100. Dunno what that tells you. I have recently mated the Pod to a Torpedo C.A.B., and I think that the duo gives the Axe a run for its (considerably larger) money.

You're correct that you can practice silently. I use headphones, a pair of KRK Rokit 8 studio monitors, a trio of Atomic Reactor tube-based powered speakers, a 1500W power amp with a pair of fEARful 15/6/1's. And I run it into a PA at some venues.
Quote by dspellman
Not my guitar, not my rig. I *do * have seven Carvins; just not that one. And I've got that amp stand as well.

I have both Pods (several) and an older Axe-FX Ultra. I've tried the zoom and Boss GT-100. Dunno what that tells you. I have recently mated the Pod to a Torpedo C.A.B., and I think that the duo gives the Axe a run for its (considerably larger) money.

You're correct that you can practice silently. I use headphones, a pair of KRK Rokit 8 studio monitors, a trio of Atomic Reactor tube-based powered speakers, a 1500W power amp with a pair of fEARful 15/6/1's. And I run it into a PA at some venues.

Sounds like I should save a few more $$ and go for the POD.

I'd live to try all of them before buying but I live in a small town (3000 people) 600 km from anywhere.