Hey guys.

As part of my product design engineering course, I'm trying to gather some statistics as to the problem of keeping festival toilets sanitary, and what solutions can be devised in terms of the overall design of the toilets to improve their sanitation. This includes the way the user interacts with the doors and door locks, the toilet itself, and the sinks (essentially areas that accumulate bacteria due to being touched by hands).

This also includes any additional items that may be taken with the user to maintain their own personal hygiene, that may be unnecessary if sanitation is properly maintained.

The link to the survey is here.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/359SNH9

Please refrain from spam. Overly graphic responses are also considered spam.

Thank you to everyone that provides constructive feedback.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 1, 2014,
What a fascinating course

Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
It isn't a glamorous area of design, but it's important.

Please fill in the survey as best you can. Thank you.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Done. In general I think having a large group of drunk people together will almost always result in shitty (and I mean that quite literally) toilets.

In general I try to avoid doing anything other than peeing standing up while at festivals and such. I don't really like the idea of putting any of my orifices near a place where hundreds of people have excreted their waste that very day.

EDIT: I think in these cases I'd actually prefer those toilets you see in France sometimes, where there's a hole in the ground and you just squat over it.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Oct 1, 2014,
i did the survey, when do i get paid?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Done it. If you want to do anything to improve any aspect, make it hands free. Touching any sort of handle/tap/knob would be the best way I can think of. Either that or you make the toiler seat have antimircrobial properties, or at least harder for biofilms to form. Look at wood vs plastic chopping boards and you'll get the gist of that last sentence.

Festival cleanliness just doesn't exist. More often than not staff maintenance is poor (high volume makes it harder). People also don't understand that washing your hands irrelevant, as if you don't dry them afterwards it's actually worse because you're just giving the bacteria a needed component for growth.
Manchester United
Filling it out now

One quick thing to point out:

What do you mostly you try to avoid?

From question 7. I don't believe this is grammatically sound wouldn't have pointed it out if it wasn't for a school thing, know how important that is and such
Quote by Shotgunmerc

From question 7. I don't believe this is grammatically sound

How?

Edit: ah, a repeated word. My mistake.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by Shabalaba
Done it. If you want to do anything to improve any aspect, make it hands free. Touching any sort of handle/tap/knob would be the best way I can think of. Either that or you make the toiler seat have antimircrobial properties, or at least harder for biofilms to form. Look at wood vs plastic chopping boards and you'll get the gist of that last sentence.

Festival cleanliness just doesn't exist. More often than not staff maintenance is poor (high volume makes it harder). People also don't understand that washing your hands irrelevant, as if you don't dry them afterwards it's actually worse because you're just giving the bacteria a needed component for growth.

One idea I have in mind is to supply a card with a barcode that allows you to use the toilets. Scanning the card with a barcode reader to open the door and close it, scanning the card inside the toilet to flush, turn on the sink and open the door. All to keep direct hand contact within the toilet to a minimum.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
One idea I have in mind is to supply a card with a barcode that allows you to use the toilets. Scanning the card with a barcode reader to open the door and close it, scanning the card inside the toilet to flush, or open the door etc. To keep direct hand contact within in the toilet to a minimum.

If this was for music festivals specifically, you could have it be their concert tickets
Quote by Shotgunmerc
If this was for music festivals specifically, you could have it be their concert tickets

I could, but tickets have a tendency to harbour bacteria and they don't like getting wet. Having a plastic card makes it possible to clean the card with sanitizer after using the toilet.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
One idea I have in mind is to supply a card with a barcode that allows you to use the toilets. Scanning the card with a barcode reader to open the door and close it, scanning the card inside the toilet to flush, turn on the sink and open the door. All to keep direct hand contact within the toilet to a minimum.

I think that's an excellent idea, and I don't say that often.

EDIT: oh yeah, done
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Oct 1, 2014,
Quote by Shabalaba
People also don't understand that washing your hands irrelevant, as if you don't dry them afterwards it's actually worse because you're just giving the bacteria a needed component for growth.

Don't most people wash their hands with hand sanitizer? I've never seen an actual sink at a festival before.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Whenever I've been to a festival there has always been some kind of 'upper class' toilets that get cleaned after every use. It cost £1 to use it, but the knowledge that they were being cleaned between poops and that the walls weren't going to be covered in filth made it worth the £1 charge.
I only used them to poop, so per festival it usually costs me £5 for the entirety since I only need to once a day at the most.

Sonisphere 2012 had portable cabins that were pretty much equivalent to toilets you would find in a decent hotel. They had fancy wallpaper, sinks, bottles of liquid soap (the good stuff too) decorations such as flowers.
Those toilets were the sh!t (pun intended).

Porta-potties and outdoor urinals will never be sanitary at a festival though. There are too many drunk people, and most of them don't have enough aim and/or respect to get their waste into them properly. I mean, even if you're blind drunk at home, you don't cover your bathroom wall with poo and pee all over the floor, why do it anywhere else?
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Done. Interesting topic.
Wayne's World! Party Time! Excellent!
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth

Schecter Platinum C-1 Floyd Rose

Quote by Lord_Doku
Friendship and masturbation go a long way towards happiness. Until you have sex, then it's friendship and sex. And an empty wallet.
If I'm at a festival I don't really give a shit if the porta is a mess, I don't hang out there, if I have to take a shit I do so then wash up at the water tap.