Recently I've been reading about impulse cabs, something completely new. But I like it so far!

For example, I want to get an Engl e530 amp.

Can I really record silently?

Because as far as I know, you plug in a cab so the amp load dont get destroyed or something like that.

Is the volume from the FX Send (to the computer) always the same? Or is that also affected by the master volume? Because I guess I should have the master up so that you get that "cranked tube sound", but that would also mean a ****ing loud amp in the room... Wont work with neighbors and stuff.

Help me out here!
You can get load boxes that plug into the speaker out that ensure that you don't blow up your head.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Are you talking about the Engl e530 preamp? This one http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_e530_preamp_egitarre.htm ? If so, there's no need for a loadbox, as there's no poweramp/output transformer, which would blow if not connected to a cab when turned on. With a preamp you can simply plug your guitar into it, and then run the output to your interface's line input.

If you want a proper amplifier head, however, which will have a power section, you will need to have it connected to a speaker cabinet/load. However, if it has a master volume, separate from a channel/preamp volume control, you can simply turn up the channel volume, turn the master down to 0, and run the FX send from the FX loop into your interface's line input and record silently. In answer to your question, the FX send send the preamp signal, not the power amp signal, and the channel volume only affects the preamp, while the master volume affects the power amp (generally speaking).

Some amps will not have a master volume however, like the Peavey 5150/6505. In this case, you will need a loadbox between the amp and cabinet or instead of the cabinet.
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
Quote by edgespear
Some amps will not have a master volume however, like the Peavey 5150/6505.

The 6505 HAS a master volume control.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

The 6505 HAS a master volume control.

It has a post-gain which technically acts as a master volume control, but it you can't turn it to 0 and record silently through the FX Send; I don't know the technicalities but it must affect the preamp as well as the power amp...
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
Quote by edgespear
Are you talking about the Engl e530 preamp? This one http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_e530_preamp_egitarre.htm ? If so, there's no need for a loadbox, as there's no poweramp/output transformer, which would blow if not connected to a cab when turned on. With a preamp you can simply plug your guitar into it, and then run the output to your interface's line input.

If you want a proper amplifier head, however, which will have a power section, you will need to have it connected to a speaker cabinet/load. However, if it has a master volume, separate from a channel/preamp volume control, you can simply turn up the channel volume, turn the master down to 0, and run the FX send from the FX loop into your interface's line input and record silently. In answer to your question, the FX send send the preamp signal, not the power amp signal, and the channel volume only affects the preamp, while the master volume affects the power amp (generally speaking).

Some amps will not have a master volume however, like the Peavey 5150/6505. In this case, you will need a loadbox between the amp and cabinet or instead of the cabinet.

What? Well, the Thomann description doesn't mention it, but Engls homepage says it does
"A stereo 1,5 watts power amp works with any cabinet or headphone for silent practicing."
http://www.englamps.de/index.php?id=38&tx_ddfproducts_pi1[uid]=38&iPhoneBypass=1
Quote by Uncovered
What? Well, the Thomann description doesn't mention it, but Engls homepage says it does
"A stereo 1,5 watts power amp works with any cabinet or headphone for silent practicing."
http://www.englamps.de/index.php?id=38&tx_ddfproducts_pi1[uid]=38&iPhoneBypass=1

Well if it says you can use headphones that would suggest you don't need a cab or load connected, and from what I've seen of that preamp, you should be fine to just run a cable from the line out to your interface

There is a vst version of that preamp if you wanted to get a rough idea what it's like before buying - TSE X30. It's pretty good with the right impulses.
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
Last edited by edgespear at Oct 1, 2014,
Quote by edgespear
It has a post-gain which technically acts as a master volume control, but it you can't turn it to 0 and record silently through the FX Send; I don't know the technicalities but it must affect the preamp as well as the power amp...
A master volume acts before the FX loop, so turning the master volume to 0 would have no effect on the FX send level.

The 6505+ in particular has FX send and return volume controls anyway, so you would turn the FX send level knob to change the send level, and then you could turn the master volume control to 0 not to have to hear anything coming out of the cab.

Actually now that I think of it the master volume would have no effect anyway 'cause the signal would be going out of the FX send and not returning to the power amp.

Anyway, a master volume control acts just before the power amp, and the FX loop acts between the pre and the power amp, usually after the EQ and possibly a buffer tube.
Quote by Uncovered
I'm guessing it's only the power generated by the pre tubes and the thing doesn't even have a power amp.

If it does anyway it's not a tube power amp for sure, and you can safely turn on a solid state power amp without a load connected ('cause solid state amps have to see a load of min xOhm, and no load equals an infinite Ohm load, so it's alright).
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Hahaha I'm confused

Anyway, I tried that TSE x30 out, and while I did find it rather "digital" sounding, I still really liked the voicing of it, and checking out some videos on Youtube I see that the TSE simulation is pretty accurate on the distortion (the clean not so much hahaha) but I still prefered the real one. But the TSE was NOT bad, actually the best amp simulator I've tried! And I haven't tried that many to be honest, but it sounded way better than some Engl and Mesa sims I've tried. Maybe it's the voicing I'm leaning towards but still like it!

So, if I get everything right, I'm pretty much settled on getting an Engl e530 as soon as possible! My earlier GAS was a Kemper, but that's SO much more expensive... I guess the Engl amp will fill my needs totally fine! I have no need for a million different amps since I would probably only use one or two...
Anyway, I tried my friends guitar preamp with some impulses and I'm pretty much sold:

None of that digital fizz was apparent on some of the impulse files, some had some fizz but that could be EQd out.

Thanks a lot for the help tho!