Just curious if many still prefer using bigger amp with half or full stacks setups or combos which seem to generally be easier to not only load in and out but are smaller and lighter to travel with? I myself have always seemed more attracted to combos for my above mentioned reasons and at least for me they get the job done. However of course I can see why a half or full stack would be nice for non-PA offering gigs. Just curious what the majority prefer but I am also guessing many have both stacks and combos.
This is a question for the '70's.

Back then, the answer would have been "A Twin Reverb for practice and a Marshall Stack for gigs."

At one point, I ran a Carvin XV112E (100W EL34, EV-L speaker, 1x12 combo) and used it as a combo for practice, and then used it next to a stack of 4x12s (just disconnected the internal speakers, plugged in the stack) for gigs. The combo itself, with some pretty substantial transformers and an EV-L onboard, was pretty close to 70 lbs.

The 4x12s (four of them) sit in storage these days. For me, they no longer make sense. At 75-100 lbs each, they're too heavy to cart around and too bulky to fit easily in a non-gas-guzzler. They beam ice-pick treble, they produce muddy bottom end at gigging volumes.

I've switched to modelers, solid state power amps and full-range flat response speaker cabinets that handle LOTS more power, weigh a lot less, have far better dispersion, have great bottom end and fit in a Honda FIT. A Pod HD fits into a gig bag pocket. A 1500W Carvin HD1500 weighs in at around 9 pounds, will output 900W bridged, mono, into 8 ohms (one cabinet). It'll produce 1500W bridged, mono, into 4 ohms (two cabinets).

The cabinets weigh under 50 lbs, contain three neo-based drivers, including a 15" Eminence 3015LF, a 6" mids and a 1" tweeter, and they'll handle that 900W. You can use one as a floor wedge, stack a pair conventionally, or put them up on speaker stands. They'll get down to 35-50Hz and up to 18KHz. They'll run bass guitar, and a pair of them will easily put a 130-lb 8x10 on the trailer. I use them for keyboards (Korg Kronos), too. For 90% of gigs, a single cabinet will do more than a full stack ever could.

OTOH, if you want that old school 80's-look stage decoration, a stack of 4x12s is the way to go.

Last edited by dspellman at Oct 1, 2014,
Having done both for bass, I can say that I loved the sound I got from my GK half stack, but the combo was so much easier to cart around. Next band, I may just buy a good DI box, go direct in to the board and skip the amps, though, since we only played places that had a PA.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Combo stack FTW

ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
How bout stacks of combos?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
nowadays, it's just silly the whole stack idea. unless you play rock on a reading/glasto type festival maybe...

in a bar kind situation, nothing beats a nice combo
my combo's are way too heavy to carry all over , I'm going cab and 2x12 myself all though Dspellman's set up looks good , my combo's are going up for sell
I have a 4x12, a 2x12 and 1x12 cabs that I run with anything 20 watts to 100watts and I have a 1x12 combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Head and a 1X12/2X12 depending on situation. I have a 4X12 though, which sounds gnarly.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100