Hello everyone!

I am getting back into guitar. I am a singer/songwriter, and I primarily write on the piano, but I appreciate the guitar's portability and sound.

I'm wondering what resources, if any, are available to help me
1.) Compose songs on the guitar, or
2.) Simply learn the guitar better. Perhaps a music theory book? Perhaps just a general technique book?

I would call myself an "advanced beginner." Although I have been playing off and on for years, I haven't moved past first position chords (though I know a good number.) I have yet to master barre chords, and although I can easily determine the layout of the fretboard, I certainly don't have it memorized, and I have never fingerpicked... I'm mostly a strummer--although I want to change that.

So--any suggestions?

Thanks,

TA
I don't read that many books on theory or technique nowadays, but i am going to throw out a couple of recommendations on books that have helped me with my approach to music, practicing and life, since those are the books that have had the greatest impact on me.

A must have in my opinion is the book "Zen Guitar" by philip toshio sudo. It explains a zen approach to music, now i might be biased because i am personally a follower of zen, but it is worth a read, just read the reviews of it and see.

Other than Zen Guitar, a couple of books that are worth a read are: Effortless Mastery - Liberating the musician within (Kenny Werner), The Practice of Practice (Jonathan Harnum) and The Musícian's Way - A Guide to Practice, Performance and Wellness. (Gerald Klickstein)

Those are my suggestions on something more thought provoking rather than study material, but i'm sure some of the other avid posters will give you great advice on such material.

Best Regards,
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz

A must have in my opinion is the book "Zen Guitar" by philip toshio sudo. It explains a zen approach to music, now i might be biased because i am personally a follower of zen, but it is worth a read, just read the reviews of it and see.

I've seen this book, and I really want to read it. Haven't gotten ahold of a copy yet... but it's on my list!

Thanks for the response!