right now im runniong a peavy audition 110 trans tube into a rp150 digitech affects pedal

i have the following guitars

epiphone acustic uknown model

sg stadium knock off guitar
72 les paul custom from japan
epiphone les paul jr red burst
chinese firebird double mini humbucker
i love green day music old and new i have a very limited budget i have to split up purchases pay check to paycheck or save up im looking to spend around 400-500 on amps and pedals or for something to improve my current setup to get a closer green day sound
Find a used JCM900 head/combo. That should run you about $4-500 off craigslist or a local gear exchange. It's basically the punk amp. After that you just need a cab if you get a head. I'd save some aside too for a retube.

I'd say you're set on guitars. Billie uses a Les Paul Junior with a P90 as a main guitar.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Any of these guitars with the peavey should be able to pretty much do it. What's the problem exactly regarding your tone?

I would spend this money towards an amp for sure though. What other kind of music do you play?
the problem im having is i can hear a certain sound in green days music and my amp isnt doing it its close but i cant get that distortion that green day has even distorted i still sound some what clean right now im still a "noob" i can barley play anything i mess around with learning stuff off youtube the occasional scale alot of power chords and bar chords some notes like g cadd 9 d e minor a a minor e f easy stuff ive picked up off youtube i like alot of green day stuff but other bands i like are train eve 6 stain'd fall out boy simple plan some metallica sum 41 blink 182 american hifi the list goes on and on LOL but im mainly focused on finding a decent green day tone so i can learn there songs
Yeah, I'd say you're set on guitars. A JCM 900 is what you want, though I forget which one specifically. Cath should be able to set you straight on that

Blink used Mesa Boogie Dual Recs before their self-titled, and a Vox AC30 from that album onward (for the most part IIRC anyway)

But if the Green Day sound is what you're mostly after, a 900 will get you damn close. Only thing that'd get you closer would be a Super Lead, or a tricked out 800. That's gonna wind up costing a good deal more though
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
one thing i dont have alot of is money ive been trying to learn simple green day songs since i was 12 and bought my first guitar "peavy preadator " strat style i feel like i suck really bad because i cant replicate any of the songs i want to every time i go to learn a song i get overwhelmed trying to figure out the strumming or remember the chord changes or trying to pick certain strings instead of strumming thru all the time i learn everything from youtube so i have nobody to tell me what im doing right or wrong its difficult
I'd recommending getting a teacher to sort of guide you before investing heaps of money in gear. You may discover a completely different sound you want to pursue after having spent thousands of dollars on gear that fits something you're not longer interested in playing as much. But if you're definitely set on Green Day and punk rock in general, saving up for a used 900 + a 2x12 with decent speakers is a great place to start.

Also don't feel bad about asking questions here. That's what the forums are for. There are plenty of online resources that you can use to help further your guitar playing abilities, and here on UG there's a technique forum where you can discuss technique with other UGers. It's not as active as it once was, which is why I recommend you scour the internet for as much help as possible and not just this forum. There are however some stickied threads and plenty of past threads over there you can check out with heaps of good info. Good luck

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
one thing i dont have alot of is money ive been trying to learn simple green day songs since i was 12 and bought my first guitar "peavy preadator " strat style i feel like i suck really bad because i cant replicate any of the songs i want to every time i go to learn a song i get overwhelmed trying to figure out the strumming or remember the chord changes or trying to pick certain strings instead of strumming thru all the time i learn everything from youtube so i have nobody to tell me what im doing right or wrong its difficult

Dude. Punctuation. Paragraphs.

I can say 2 things to your problem:
1) Practice. Practice, practice, practice. Only when songs become muscle memory does it actually become easy.
2) You aren't Billie Joe Armstrong, nor do you have his exact guitar and amp. Not insulting you, just a fact. Therefore you will never play and sound EXACTLY like him. You can get close, but guitar is really about doing your own thing. Green Day can be an inspiration, but no sense in copying them. They already exist, be yourself.

Also, this video may be for you if you want to see the Green Day rig in detail to get ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uomdMrkNgA
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
^ Very good advice right there
i feel annoyed because theres a 16 year old kid on youtube that does green day covers and hes so danm good and i cant even play a single song >_>
Green Day songs are incredibly easy to play. He could be 10 years old and master every Green Day song ever written and even then it really wouldn't be too impressive (this isn't a knock on GD, I happen to enjoy them, but 95% of their music is fairly easy to learn)

Don't compare yourself to other guitarists. When you do, you're handicapping yourself with a "everyone-is-better-than-me" attitude; this will prevent you from improving as much as you otherwise would be able to.
Quote by CL/\SH

Don't compare yourself to other guitarists. When you do, you're handicapping yourself with a "everyone-is-better-than-me" attitude; this will prevent you from improving as much as you otherwise would be able to.

We pilots refer to this as "resignation", one of 5 hazardous attitudes.

Don't compare yourself to other guitarists, instead use them as a goal. Say "I want to do that." and practice until you can. Don't say "I can't do that." because then you won't.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
i always here that green day music is "easy" to me its one of the most challenging things i have ever done
Stig: Exactly. if you work at it hard it enough, someday you may pick up the guitar and realize you're playing stuff that would have blown your mind when you first began. When it comes to any instrument, and life in general, there are always ways we can improve. Guitar is no different; always look for ways you can challenge yourself to be better at it.

Start slow and build up solid, sound playing first. If you try to do too much too fast, you'll always play sloppily. Build that muscle memory with lots of practice (an hour a day would be the bare minimum imo) and you will see results. Of course, this is dependent on how serious you are about guitar and how much you enjoy it

Green Day stuff seems tough now, but after you're learning their songs back to back like it's nothing, you'll want to learn stuff from other bands. A whole world will start open up to you, full of new things to learn on the guitar
Last edited by CL/\SH at Oct 1, 2014,
if you actually cant buy a marshall,

then get a hot rodded marshall pedal and run that. like a higher gain jcm 800 or etc hot rodded british tone. i would classify that as a high gain overdrive or british / marshal style distortion.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
im looking at a marshall 900 jcm 2x12 combo amp for 500

That's a pretty good price. Might need to be retubed, if it's not from a store you might be able to do do 450.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Older greenday is A strat of sorts with a JB or any simular humbucker in to a modded JCM800.

Newer Greenday is primarly A Vintage LP.jr ( so P90's) and Marshalls.

In Quatro (the film for the trilogy) Billie is using alot of Gretsch's, Ricks, and His LPjrs into Marshalls and Jason is shown using alot of 'Normal' Les Pauls and Marshalls

They also tune to Eb quite a bit which gives things a different sound.

so basicly A Marshall ( like a 800 or a 900) and Some hot humbuckers/P90's should help.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
We pilots refer to this as "resignation", one of 5 hazardous attitudes.

Great info I like it. I just googled the 5 hazardous attitudes and it's great.

'd recommending getting a teacher to sort of guide you before investing heaps of money in gear. You may discover a completely different sound you want to pursue

That is so true. However it's hard to resist the urge of getting a new amplifier.