Hey guys, I'm gonna cut to the chase here: I'm beginning to "grow out" of my 15 watt Peavey Vypyr solid-state amplifier. I'm 15 and in high school, in Northern Illinois, in the US of A. I've been looking into Blackstar amps, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say:

My Budget: About $0 to a possible $1,500 max

Genres: I play lots of hard rock and some metal, with a need for a fairly decent clean tone, but what I really care about is the crunch and higher gain. I listen to a lot of Tool, Metallica, Black Sabbath, etc.

New or Used: I'd prefer new, but I know there are plenty of fantastic used amps and I'd have to be absolutely clueless to not want to check those out, but I would like it to be not too beat up and in good playing shape.

Home or Gig: I'd use it a lot at home (no danger of angry neighbors, though, unless I play at like 3 in the morning), but I'm in that transition stage where I'm starting to look for gigs (played a few family-related event gigs already), but the Peavey just doesn't cut it, especially against a drummer. I don't have a band of my own, but I do jam with various drummers and other guitarists.

Closest City: Well, Algonquin/Crystal Lake has the closest Guitar Center, and Chicago's a bit of a drive...but I'd be willing to go there.

Current Gear: Besides the Peavey, I own an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro (planning some new pickups once I get a new amp), and an EMG-equipped Schecter Damien Platinum FR 6 string (that I don't use too often)

I'm fairly set on a tube amp because of the tone and volume, and I could go for both combos and heads (please suggest both a cab and head, if that's what you suggest some sort of stack). Thanks guys.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Schecter Damien Platinum FR
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Join the cult, just cut through the bs and get a used Randall RM. Your friends will be very jealous.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Yeah, an RM100 would be perfect. As your tastes change, you just buy new modules. Just to whet you appetite, here's what a couple of good preamp module makers have on offer:
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html

I've seen more than a couple of RM100's go in the US used for around $600, even with all 3 modules. That'd leave you enough to get a couple of nice boutiquey modules.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 2, 2014,
Quote by Domguy99
I'm fairly set on a tube amp because of the tone and volume
Volume of amps isn't really related to what they use in the power amp y' know...

Anyway, I'd go for a mesa tremoverb.
Either combo or that + whatever good cab, I like oranges but mesa's are also pretty damn good.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the replies, guys. So, are Mesas the best cabs to pair one of those Randalls up with, or are there any other cabs I should look into?
My Gear:
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Quote by Domguy99
Thanks for the replies, guys. So, are Mesas the best cabs to pair one of those Randalls up with, or are there any other cabs I should look into?

Mesa makes one of the best cabs there is.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Randall normally mate them up with G12T75's. That's what's in my combo and the 4x12 I use with an RM100 head. I've also used one into greenbacks. However I haven't heard one into V30's yet, which is what'd be in that Mesa cab. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I prefer the T75's over the greenbacks but I'd imagine V30's would be pretty nice. Especially in a nice big cabinet like the Mesa.
You can always experiment with speakers later, you're starting off with a top quality box so fine tuning your preferences with speaker selection is a viable thing. I'd love to try the V30/K100 combination with that amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Domguy99
So, are Mesas the best cabs to pair one of those Randalls up with, or are there any other cabs I should look into?
No cab is ever best, it's all a matter of preference.

The one I like best for crunch to high gain is the Orange PPC212, closed back, comes from stock with current everyday v30's.

I can't get myself to like T75's for whatever actually.
They go lower than v30's and that'd be a good thing, but they loose a lot of "character" imo.
They sound bored, while the v30's sound excited.
Overexcited possibly.

Though that's just me, people use T75's for some metal and for lotsa crunch everyday.
Crunch mostly.
Quote by Cathbard
However I haven't heard one into V30's yet, which is what'd be in that Mesa cab. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
v30's in mesa cabs are english made and produced to different spec's.
They're supposed to have a bit less mid hump and sound a bit sweeter, less harsh.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Here's the RM100 into T75's using the Jaded Faith SLO module. There's a Timmy on the intro and the solos, the pickup is a Rio Grande Dirty Harry.
It's from last night's gig.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=709837275773798
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The RM100 reeeaaaally likes T75s. I played mine through my 412 (Screamin' Eagles and Splawn Small Blocks) and it just didn't sound right, the midrange was obnoxious and it just became overly harsh. The modules were designed with the T75s in mind, I'd imagine, so they are tweaked to like those speakers best.

The Mesa amps that have been recommended are also a good bet, the Rectoverb/Tremoverb both would be my pick of those. Hell with $1500 I would look into Marks as well, they are very versatile and should give you some decent tones to mess with, the Mark V would be great if you could find one for that price (used of course).
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
RM or Mesa look at everyone's sigs latley lol.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I'd suggest drive to Chicago for a visit to this store
http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/
Play everything, especially look at Orange Dark terror, Mesa mini rectifier, Marshall DSL line. Some Peavey amps might work for you: Valveking, Jsx, XXX, 6505.
I'd suggest you look at tube around and over 30 watt.
I read the RM20 combo came stock with a G12m25, so not all the RM's came with G12t75
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i use mine with X'ed pattern g12t75's/V30's cab and love it...also tried one V30 in the combo paired with the 12t75 before i loaded cab and it sounded good as a 2x12
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
Some of the artist sig ones came with different speakers too. The George Lynch 4x12 had greenbacks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ran my RM100 into a Swampthang/Tonker loaded 2x12 for a
long time with good results.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
well. throwing out a few:

carvin v3m (budget end of your spectrum)
mesa mini recitifer
mark 5 25
evh 5152 mini
grandmeister (with the midid switch?)
SPLAWN

..let me keep thinking
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Robbgnarly
I read the RM20 combo came stock with a G12m25, so not all the RM's came with G12t75

Yeah, I have the RM20 (though I'd trade it for an RM22 if I could). I was surprised it had a greenback and google told me its stock. In the past I wasn't a fan of the greenback but it sounds great with the Blackface module I have in it now. Not sure if that'll change as I add modules (saving for the Mash All+ now) but I have a really old CTS alnico speaker to spare to change things up if need be. I assumed the m25 was just a lower wattage t75, is there a difference?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
They are voiced different, the T75 is more scooped. The high end isn't a million miles apart, but there is a significant difference in midrange and low end
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
They are voiced different, the T75 is more scooped. The high end isn't a million miles apart, but there is a significant difference in midrange and low end

Well I guess it works out then, I usually prefer a mid-heavy tone anyways. Good to know for future reference though.
Quote by Cathbard
Here's the RM100 into T75's using the Jaded Faith SLO module. There's a Timmy on the intro and the solos, the pickup is a Rio Grande Dirty Harry.
It's from last night's gig.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=709837275773798

Nice gig

Anyhow, thanks for all the replies guys, I'll make sure to give those Randalls a try, and those Mesa cabs.
My Gear:
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
In addition to what has been said so far I would also consider these Mesa's. I personally like heads/cabs better but this Roadster and Mark IV combos would be sweet.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/4698176213.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/msd/4694379708.html

Also, I wanted to compliment you on such a well written OP thread, especially for 15. You'd be surprised how many long term 'seasoned' UG'rs we get asking for amp advice and they are all over the board with a big long paragraph of text and only half the information we really need.

Thanks
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
In addition to what has been said so far I would also consider these Mesa's. I personally like heads/cabs better but this Roadster and Mark IV combos would be sweet.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/4698176213.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/msd/4694379708.html

Also, I wanted to compliment you on such a well written OP thread, especially for 15. You'd be surprised how many long term 'seasoned' UG'rs we get asking for amp advice and they are all over the board with a big long paragraph of text and only half the information we really need.

Thanks

Yes!