Page 1 of 2
Hey musician,
Im hunting for gibson under $1000 which is lightweight n fits for my short female body. Which one is better in sound and looks, gibson sg 60s tribute 2013 or gibson Sg speciAl 2014 or gibson explorer melody maker. PleAse give me some insight before i buy. Thanks a lot

Cheers,
Dhenia
don't go for that MM.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
SG is lighter easier to throw around. but they do have a a weak neck joint because of how the neck joins the body. they are good guitars but a bit more fragile than the explorer. The explorer is a but more sturdy but has weight issues. Surprising it is actually not that uncomfortable otherwise. I would get the 60's tribute SG if it were me.
I dont know how lightweight gibson melody maker explorer is but it is sure smaller than the standard explorer right? Is the neck n body unbalanced?
SG.

Cool-looking. Light-weight. Great-sounding. Great-playing. Very good re-sale value if you decide to change guitars.
Last edited by peskypesky at Oct 1, 2014,
If you're open to other suggestions, check out the Reverend Sensei series- double-cut like the SG, but made with korina (tonally similar to mahogany, but lighter), great necks and under $1000.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you go with an SG, be sure to find one that's NOT neck-heavy. The SG body is so small and the forward strap button located badly, so many SGs are neck-heavy. You don't want to have to support the neck while you're playing (and don't let anyone tell you that a thicker strap is the answer. It's not.

I'd steer clear of Melody Makers in all guises.

Honestly, *new* Gibsons under $1000 are suspect across the board. The Korean (and even some of the Chinese and Indonesian guitars) are much better built in that price range. Used Gibsons are a different story, of course. You'll note that Gibson has mostly abandoned the under-$1000 for 2015. I think that's going to be a continuing trend with them.

Where on the planet are you located?
the gibson lpj is stupid light though that could be an option. try a few on and take wake some pictures if the image is that much of a concern for you. I say go with the sg though.

edit I remember you did you from your thread in gg&a get that amp yet? if not for gods sakes get the amp.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Oct 2, 2014,
I dig the melody maker v, a bit smaller and u can abuse the shit out of them and its no loss.
If you like Gibson I'd suggest an SG or LP Jr. Both are light weight and have a long history of great tone and looks.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
What you need is a Fender Mustang
But of your list I would say the SG 60s Tribute.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Cajundaddy
If you like Gibson I'd suggest an SG or LP Jr. Both are light weight and have a long history of great tone and looks.

+1

(doublecut jr is probably slightly lighter too, i'm guessing)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If you're open to other suggestions, check out the Reverend Sensei series- double-cut like the SG, but made with korina (tonally similar to mahogany, but lighter), great necks and under $1000.

where is it made in?
Quote by The Judist
What you need is a Fender Mustang
But of your list I would say the SG 60s Tribute.

Is fender mustang good for rock?
Quote by luckotdraw
I dig the melody maker v, a bit smaller and u can abuse the shit out of them and its no loss.

Flying V is so uncomfortable to play while sitting down though
Quote by losing battle
the gibson lpj is stupid light though that could be an option. try a few on and take wake some pictures if the image is that much of a concern for you. I say go with the sg though.

edit I remember you did you from your thread in gg&a get that amp yet? if not for gods sakes get the amp.

I got the amp but not Jet city... VOX AC30VR with my budget at the time.
Last edited by dhenia182 at Oct 2, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
If you go with an SG, be sure to find one that's NOT neck-heavy. The SG body is so small and the forward strap button located badly, so many SGs are neck-heavy. You don't want to have to support the neck while you're playing (and don't let anyone tell you that a thicker strap is the answer. It's not.

I'd steer clear of Melody Makers in all guises.

Honestly, *new* Gibsons under $1000 are suspect across the board. The Korean (and even some of the Chinese and Indonesian guitars) are much better built in that price range. Used Gibsons are a different story, of course. You'll note that Gibson has mostly abandoned the under-$1000 for 2015. I think that's going to be a continuing trend with them.

Where on the planet are you located?

I am located in Indonesia, and good built indonesian made guitars are usually for export.
Quote by dhenia182

I'm mostly a Fender guy but not a fan of the Mustang or Duo-Sonic. I just don't think they are great players. Try em if you like but for me both the Tele and Strat are just way better in nearly every way.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 2, 2014,
Quote by dhenia182

Kurt Cobain seemed to think so.
Liz Phair too.

Sure, I'm a Tele man myself but if the OP is after light/small and short scale then it fits the bill better innit
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by dhenia182
it is so hard to find an SG that doesnt have neck balance issue!

It's a non-issue for me as a 30 year SG player but if it bothers you it is easily overcome by simply adding a little weight to the tail strap button. Done. The SG is usually my Gibson of choice.

ehhh its still a hybrid, its a step up from the mg you were using but I still say proper amp if you have a decent guitar. Buying a Gibson then plugging into a hybrid is kinda silly to me.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by dhenia182
where is it made in?

south korea i think
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dhenia182
where is it made in?

Reverend is an American company whose guitars- like many others- are made in Korea.

Quote by dhenia182
I am located in Indonesia, and good built indonesian made guitars are usually for export.

Have you looked at Swing or Radix guitars? Indonesian guitar brands, and, from what I have seen and read, they're pretty good.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Reverend is an American company whose guitars- like many others- are made in Korea.

Have you looked at Swing or Radix guitars? Indonesian guitar brands, and, from what I have seen and read, they're pretty good.

ya I used to have Radix Luks guitar, it was really good built , but the mahogany was too heavy so i sold it.
Quote by losing battle
ehhh its still a hybrid, its a step up from the mg you were using but I still say proper amp if you have a decent guitar. Buying a Gibson then plugging into a hybrid is kinda silly to me.

I think when I get gibson I will sell all my amps and buy a tube one.
If you can find one Gibson made the Goddess series a few years ago and they had a SG and LP that had a slightly smaller body shape.
The Melody Maker Explorer is smaller than the regular Explorer shape

www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-goddess

They were designed for women
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by losing battle

+1
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Personally I love the sound of SG but don't like playing one. The bridge feels too far up the body. The neck actually feels surprisingly comfortable and easy to play especially standing up. The neck dive however is quite annoying. It can be slightly remedied by moving the strap button onto the horn but it's not a fix. You can get use to it but that means you'll always have either your fretting hand on the guitar or your picking arm pinning the body down. They do sound incredible though.

The Mustang is an interesting guitar I guess. It's not a guitar for me as it's too...what's the word...honky? And also it is a short scale guitar so typically used as a rhythm guitar though not exclusively.

I second trying out the LPJ, though if you're planning to play a lot of high frets stuff, the les paul shape in general doesn't offer great fret access.

As for explorer...never tried one actually haha.
Quote by Arron_Zacx
Personally I love the sound of SG but don't like playing one. The bridge feels too far up the body. The neck actually feels surprisingly comfortable and easy to play especially standing up. The neck dive however is quite annoying. It can be slightly remedied by moving the strap button onto the horn but it's not a fix. You can get use to it but that means you'll always have either your fretting hand on the guitar or your picking arm pinning the body down. They do sound incredible though.

The Mustang is an interesting guitar I guess. It's not a guitar for me as it's too...what's the word...honky? And also it is a short scale guitar so typically used as a rhythm guitar though not exclusively.

I second trying out the LPJ, though if you're planning to play a lot of high frets stuff, the les paul shape in general doesn't offer great fret access.

As for explorer...never tried one actually haha.

I don't like Les Paul at all.. it looks too traditional for me
Quote by dhenia182
it is so hard to find an SG that doesnt have neck balance issue!

I just tried Gibson SGJ yesterday and i was really surprised that the neck is well balanced!
yeah i haven't noticed a massive amount (if any) neck dive on my sg standard either, though i use a leather strap on it. Maybe i just got lucky- I know they do have a rep of neck dive (at least enough of them to watch out for it).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i haven't noticed a massive amount (if any) neck dive on my sg standard either, though i use a leather strap on it. Maybe i just got lucky- I know they do have a rep of neck dive (at least enough of them to watch out for it).

Leather strap eh?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Fender Mustang? What about Jaguars then?

And what's up with the Melody Maker attitude, Carl Barat sure knows how to use his.
Maybe he's not the most technical of players but

Personally I've never gotten much love from an SG, they're so crude to me.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Page 1 of 2