i want to take this chinese fender stratocaster and do the seymour duncan jb pick up in the bridge and make it my main guitar for playing green day how hard is it to put a jb into a strat???

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-Ameican-standard-ST-Sky-Blue-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-with-scalloped-fingerboard-big-headstock-In/910085_1171141903.html

its a chinese knock off but it seems perfect for what i want to do
Why not get a used Squier? most squiers have a swimming pool style route and all you would need to do is get a pickguard (or cut the one on it out) for a HB in the bridge.

You might want to switch the volume pot to a 500k if the one in the guitar is a 250k.

But BJ's strat was nothing special most any guitar with a JB will get that sound.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Squiers are the same size and dimension as any other strat, unless you're thinking of the squier mini.
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
simple i hate squire strats there small and bulky i like the feel of a full size stratocaster

No they are not, they are the same as a regular strat. What your looking at could be an OK guitar or it is most likely shit.
I didn't follow the like, but I have been to that site and others like it and they are mostly crap guitars with a real brand name printed on them ILLEGALY. if you really want it to say Fender on the head-stock get a used MIM Strat, they run<$300 and since you want a beat up guitar, you can get one for even less.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 2, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
No they are not, they are the same as a regular strat. What your looking at could be an OK guitar or it is most likely shit.
I didn't follow the like, but I have been to that site and others like it and they are mostly crap guitars with a real brand name printed on them ILLEGALY. if you really want it to say Fender on the head-stock get a used MIM Strat, they run<$300 and since you want a beat up guitar, you can get one for even less.

+3,1415

Just get a Squier or an used Fender.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Like everyone said, get a used MIM or a squire, and you should probably get one with a humbucker in the bridge, so you dont have to get a new pickguard or cut it up. Other than that, installinga jb into a strat is the same as installing it in every other guitar. Just get the wiring diagrams from seymour duncan, and you're set.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
The "Green Day Mod?"

There have been strats with humbuckers in the bridge probably since before Green Day was born. It's no problem to simply BUY a strat with one already there.

I'm confused as to why you'd consider a crap counterfeit (other than the headstock shape and the waterslide decal) and try to modify it when better guitars exist for the same money and when you so obviously don't understand what you're doing.
after having bought a guitar from china and playing the crap out of it for a week i love the guitar its as high of quality as any epiphone i have ever owned and i had the trade mark infringing logos removed from my guitar when i ordered it as i will do with my strat when i buy it i dont like squires because they have bulky head stocks and i feel like its not a "real" guitar if i want a stratocaster im going to buy a stratocaster not a squire aslo i want a strat with the 3rd pickup sideways so i can rout the pickguard and put in the jb pickup its a completly different sound if the pickup is not sideways. if i bought a strat with the humbucker in it already and swapped in a jb pickup and it didnt sound right i would be pissed cause i wasted money i want to do the exact mod billie joe did to his guitar way back when
Great. Have fun. It seems like you've already decided what you're going to do and don't want any input, so maybe you could stop making threads and save everyone some time.
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
after having bought a guitar from china and playing the crap out of it for a week i love the guitar its as high of quality as any epiphone i have ever owned and i had the trade mark infringing logos removed from my guitar when i ordered it as i will do with my strat when i buy it i dont like squires because they have bulky head stocks and i feel like its not a "real" guitar if i want a stratocaster im going to buy a stratocaster not a squire aslo i want a strat with the 3rd pickup sideways so i can rout the pickguard and put in the jb pickup its a completly different sound if the pickup is not sideways. if i bought a strat with the humbucker in it already and swapped in a jb pickup and it didnt sound right i would be pissed cause i wasted money i want to do the exact mod billie joe did to his guitar way back when

I hope you have a fun. What your buying is not a Strat, it is a counterfeit guitar.

You better find all the same stickers and put them on in the exact spots. And if your that hung up on the "sound" you better get a Marshall Plexi and a JCM800.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I remember when I was 13.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I remember when I was 13.

Dude your still only 12 who you tryin to kid?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
after having bought a guitar from china and playing the crap out of it for a week i love the guitar its as high of quality as any epiphone i have ever owned and i had the trade mark infringing logos removed from my guitar when i ordered it as i will do with my strat when i buy it i dont like squires because they have bulky head stocks and i feel like its not a "real" guitar if i want a stratocaster im going to buy a stratocaster

You didn't buy a Stratocaster. You bought a cheap counterfeit.
You asked for advice and guidance, and then ignored it all.
What, exactly, was the point of making this thread in the first place?
Quote by mr42ndstblvd

And a cheap-ass copy from china is a "real" guitar? LOL

You're an utterly ignorant brat. Why come here asking for advice and waste people's time, when you're not willing to follow it? Good luck, you're going to need it.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Robbgnarly

He WAS 13.

Regression is a terrible thing.
Quote by dspellman
He WAS 13.

Regression is a terrible thing.

That's alright, my wife says I act like a kid and I'm 36
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

dude shh ur gonna get me banned an den ima get grounded for not doing my HW.

So ya I sawd dis les paul frm china an its only 300 bux i work n have 2 sons an i dont hav much money so i hadda buy dis (u adluts understand about dat hahaha). Plus gibsons sux they cost too much i like my epi more LOL

PS my fendr from china is noisy an i cant get it in 2 stay in tune. but it was fine last week (so much bettr than my USA fender LOL) do i need new amp? I play trivium an BTAM
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Oct 3, 2014,
^
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Hopefully customs catches the guitar on the way in. Counterfeiting is a serious crime, and in some states you can be charged with a felony for knowingly buying counterfeit goods. Even if you have the headstock image removed this is sold as a counterfeit item and will likely still be treated as such.

I've lived in China and have likely been to the factory where these guitars are made. They use the cheapest hardware you can find, abuse their workers like no other, and often have a large number of what are essentially slave children doing some of the major task. All the while these factories are major polluters that pay no attention to any of the laws about how to get rid of waste products.

A squire would have better hardware, better lumber, and better electronics overall. More than likely the paint finish on your guitar will have toxic materials in it, so make sure you never try to refinish it and if you ask someone to refinish it make sure you divulge it is a counterfeit guitar.

If you get the guitar hopefully it works out for you, but these counterfeit guitars seem to be good much less often than they are bad. If you really wanted a cheap guitar from China you could have bought a Chinese brand. Those are doing quite well since they actually want to become major players in the guitar world.
i didnt ask about the guitar itself i asked how much work it is to route out the body for the bigger pickup. so if your not going to talk about or put links to the actual modification process shut up! theres dozens of companys out there that copy popular guitar designs are you going to bitch at thoose people for making a copy of a strat? and i will admit i think gibsons are not worth the money there quality guitars but there overpriced "name brand" junk having owned 3 real gibson guitars i think i can safely make this judgement
Look at the title of this thread. Perhaps if you think really hard you could figure out why people are talking about the guitar.

Figure out what the routing looks like if you want help on installing a JB. Or you could just use a JB junior, same sound in the smaller size.
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
i didnt ask about the guitar itself i asked how much work it is to route out the body for the bigger pickup. so if your not going to talk about or put links to the actual modification process shut up! theres dozens of companys out there that copy popular guitar designs are you going to bitch at thoose people for making a copy of a strat? and i will admit i think gibsons are not worth the money there quality guitars but there overpriced "name brand" junk having owned 3 real gibson guitars i think i can safely make this judgement

All you have to do is get a wood chisel and remove a bit of wood. It is that easy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
once i get the guitar in my hands i will tear it down and find out the style of routing im trying to build the guitar exactly like blue from green day down to the exact pickup and the strings style of guitar and the closest color as possible im eventually going to buy a new amp setup to so i can get as close to the old green day sound as possible most likley getting a jcm 800 combo setup as it fits in my budget
Why didnt you get the Fernandes strat then, if you want to copy everything down to the goddamn pickup angle? Because that's the one Billie uses, not a fender. And up to '94, he had a Bill Lawrence in it, not a JB. If you are really this anal about getting the exact same setup, at least do your research. I literaly managed to figure this out in 2 minutes.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
im not paying for a real fernandes strat i want to be anal about the detail that matter like having the jb pickup sure i could use a bill lawrence pick up but from what ive read i would be better off usuing a jb because it will more sound closer to more albums than just 1039 or any of the really early stuff with jb i should be able to do 1039 all the way up to shennagins and not have to swap guitars
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
im not paying for a real fernandes strat i want to be anal about the detail that matter like having the jb pickup

It's becoming obvious that you're a bit clueless about the "details that matter."

You're under the illusion (it's a common one) that if you have some of the same gear in your hands that Green Day has, and have the pickup tilted just so, that you're going to sound like them. Not gonna happen, but as you get a bit of real hands-on experience (as opposed to "what I read"), you'll catch up to that. But you will absolutely NOT believe those of us who've been down that road until you actually go down it. Good luck with your hammer and chisel on a cheap chinese junker.