I'm finally leaving the nest and getting my own apartment. I've never lived in one and I've really been wondering what my practice situation is going to be like. In my current house, my brother's room is right underneath mine and he says he can hear me practice while my guitar is unplugged at night while he is trying to sleep. So for those of you living in apartments, how do you practice?

My apartment is advertising excellent "noise insulation technology" with 8 inch concrete slabs surrounding every wall and under the floors. Will this be enough to play with an amp?
I highly doubt he's telling the truth unless the only insulation between floors is recycled cardboard
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by RylanThePotato
I highly doubt he's telling the truth unless the only insulation between floors is recycled cardboard

Theres not really any reason to lie about something like that... my bro said he heard me practicing, and I was. Not really anything else to it
Fly little birdie. Flyyy!

But yeah, it's kind of just a matter of slowly working up your volume through trial and error to figure out what is acceptable. As long as your neighbors/building manager aren't passive-aggressive pricks you'll be fine.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by RylanThePotato

I used to live in the room above my brother's, and I once got an annoyed phone call from him for opening and closing too many xbox 360 game cases at night.
You'll most likely be fine. I play at a decent volume and my neighbors have never had a problem with me. I used to even play acoustic at my ex's place and her neighbors didn't hear it even though they've already called the cops on her a few times for walking too heavy at night.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Maybe he thought he heard you physically playing but actually it was the paternal bond you guys have using it's ESP powers to see through each other's mind

nah but I live and an apartment complex (only 1 story though) and I do most of my playing around 2-5 in the morning and no one hears me (at least I haven't gotten any complaints yet and I've been here a little over a year), maybe try strumming with your hands/fingers instead of using a pick? I've never lived in a multi-story complex though so it may just be different in that case
Over the summer when my roommates were gone I would play at all through the night too and my neighbors didn't even do anything then. And I live on the second floor of a 3 story apartment with neighbors above, below, and on two sides of me.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by captainsnazz
if man hears man playing man's wood&strings in middle of night man will come upstairs and bax man inna eye yagetme?

You might need a new lamp.

On behalf of those who venture to the Instruments section, a Line 6 POD will suit your needs.
Quote by RylanThePotato

11/10

I'm not even in on the joke.
Playing unplugged will be 100% fine.

Playing plugged in will be okay if you keep it to room volume.

Don't play loud though.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
When I lived in an apartment I just didn't do it late at night/early in the morning and never got any complaints. I could hear my neighbors and they could hear me, that's just the way apartments are.
All just depends on how well the apartment is built. My first apartment was a nightmare. Anyone walking up the stairs to their apartment could be heard, every god damn step...Whenever someone shut their door a little too hard, the flooring in my apartment would rattle. It was pathetic.

Now, my new apartment feels likes its isolated to the rest of the complex. I play my home theater pretty loud and play somewhat loud on my amp as well, just not loud enough that it would be disturbing to people walking by the window. Havent had a single complaint and havent heard a peep from any of my neighbors.
Quote by Thrill-house
When I lived in an apartment I just didn't do it late at night/early in the morning and never got any complaints. I could hear my neighbors and they could hear me, that's just the way apartments are.

this.

my neighbor can here me bang and I can here him bang. it's an experience.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelshizzle
this.

where did the neighbour bang? its ok this is a safe place, no neighbour bang here
I too can hear Nelshizzle bang, but he doesn't hear me bang because there isn't anything to hear
When I was in your situation 3 years ago, I chose To play guitar when I want to, and if my neighbours have a problem with that, they come to tell me to stop, and we negociate. It worked well. They told me that i can play as loud as i want between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. , but after 10pm, I have to stop so the kids can sleep. It looked like a good compromise. Just talk with them, it's the best solution.

Excuse my bad english if I made some mistakes.
Last edited by _tim* at Oct 2, 2014,
Quote by chronic_stp
I'm finally leaving the nest and getting my own apartment. I've never lived in one and I've really been wondering what my practice situation is going to be like. In my current house, my brother's room is right underneath mine and he says he can hear me practice while my guitar is unplugged at night while he is trying to sleep. So for those of you living in apartments, how do you practice?

My apartment is advertising excellent "noise insulation technology" with 8 inch concrete slabs surrounding every wall and under the floors. Will this be enough to play with an amp?

im playing at dorm room and I can play whle my room mate is sleeping. unplugged ofc.

your brother is full of shit.

also boss me80 + razer headphones is godly.
Quote by jacobcanston
Ask your neighbor when they are not home ...

How are you supposed to ask them anything if they aren't at home?
Quote by Nelshizzle
this.

u guys gotta have a bang battle