I think its about time i got a distortion pedal. I dont like the distortion sound on my amp (Fender Champion 20) and I was wondering if buying a pedal with a better distortion sound would fix that issue. I dont know how these things work im a newb . Can anyone recommend a cheap but good pedal? Thank You.

p.s. guitar is Epiphone Les Paul Special II if that changes anything
Time for a new rig! Not worth putting any money into anything besides a new amp, then a better axe. Whats your location and budget?

If a new amp isn't an option, you can get BOSS OD/Distortion pedals for $40 or less all day long.
It really depends on what kind of distortion you want and how picky you are. List some bands and we'll be of better assistance.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
It really depends on what kind of distortion you want and how picky you are. List some bands and we'll be of better assistance.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JGM258
Time for a new rig! Not worth putting any money into anything besides a new amp, then a better axe. Whats your location and budget?

Agreed.

A distortion pedal through the Fender Champion won't be much of an improvement, and that Epiphone LP Special II isn't helping you either.

But I'd replace the guitar first. The distortion you can get from the Champion will probably sound better if you use a nice guitar, with good pickups.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
it (probably) will, but the problem is the amp and the guitar will also affect how the pedal sounds. pedals are awesome, but they're only a band-aid (at best) if you have a more serious problem which is causing the bad tone (i.e. the amp or guitar being to blame).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KailM

Bands like Arctic Monkeys (typically a Favourite Worst Nightmare/their 1st album kind of sound), White Stripes,early strokes, maybe even Nirvana.
Not being too familiar with Arctic Monkeys, the other bands lend me to think some sort of fuzz pedal through a tube amp. There are many variants of fuzz pedals out there, I think a good starting point would be a big muff, however, as already stated you need some upgraded gear.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by JGM258

If a new amp isn't an option, you can get BOSS OD/Distortion pedals for $40 or less all day long.

Unless it's the DS-1 then you're gonna have an even worse sound.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
i dunno about that. the ds1 and sd1 are pretty good. from what i can remember the bd2 and od3 are, as well.

but as i said above, how good they sound is sort of limited by the amp (especially) and the guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lookup up www.tech21nyc.com, gt-2 probably but all their stuff is good, Black star ht series will be another good choice, I tested the HT-2 and it covers everything, from blues to Metallica/Slayer. DigiTech df-7 on the cheap is also an option...or the Boss od-20 distortion modeler used.