I have a Epiphone les paul 100: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-100-electric-guitar

And I have a fender mustang 1: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-mustang-i-v.2-20w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp

Which should I upgrade to get a nice metal tone like Asking Alexandria, Blessthefall, EscapeTheFate, or The Amity Affliction?

Eventually I want to upgrade both but for now I only want to upgrade one. What will make the greatest impact for just upgrading one?
Amp/pedals then guitar would be the order of importance
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Roc8995
What does your budget look like?

This is the most important question.

"Nice metal tone" for what audience? If it's for you in your bedroom, something with good headphones is the cheapest and best alternative.
Quote by FineVisionz
I have a Epiphone les paul 100: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-100-electric-guitar

And I have a fender mustang 1: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-mustang-i-v.2-20w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp

Which should I upgrade to get a nice metal tone like Asking Alexandria, Blessthefall, EscapeTheFate, or The Amity Affliction?

Eventually I want to upgrade both but for now I only want to upgrade one. What will make the greatest impact for just upgrading one?

OT: Budget would help.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I have $700, and It would be to play in a bedroom. If you think it would be an amp would make a bigger difference it would have to be able to play over the sound of drums. A guitar that I was looking at is a bit more than $700 its the ESP LTD EC-1000.
Quote by FineVisionz
I have $700, and It would be to play in a bedroom. If you think it would be an amp would make a bigger difference it would have to be able to play over the sound of drums. A guitar that I was looking at is a bit more than $700 its the ESP LTD EC-1000.

6505 combo and a LTD 401 (Used both times)

If you're really on a budget, Jet City with a boost and a EQ pedal in the loop
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Well, firstly I would upgrade your taste in music. jk

But in all honesty, upgrading the amp would probably be your best choice in this situation.
Probably a 6505 combo or a Jet City as mentioned above or another suggestion could be a Laney Ironheart 30 watt 112 combo; I know they're 633 Euros on Thomann but I'm not sure about the conversion rate. At any rate, the Laney is comparable to a Rec in terms of a driven sound but with a very usable clean channel if ever you need it.
Quote by 12_Years_A_Slav
Well, firstly I would upgrade your taste in music. jk

I 2nd that

but in all seriousness you definitely want to upgrade your amp first. A bad guitar on a good amp is always going to sound better than a good guitar on a bad amp. The amp is the heart of your sound.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Just because you don't like the style of music/bands I listen to doesn't mean you should say I should "upgrade" it. I listen to pretty much everything, classic rock, jazz, blues, you name it. It just when I want to play some of the heaver stuff I listen to I don't get the tone I am looking for. Other than that, I appreciate the suggestions that you have suggested.
If you're only at home what about a Line6 POD? You can use it at low volumes or headphones, run it in front of a clean channel on your Mustang, and use it for effects when you do upgrade the amp or just run it straight into the PA or a wedge speaker.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
If you're only at home what about a Line6 POD? You can use it at low volumes or headphones, run it in front of a clean channel on your Mustang, and use it for effects when you do upgrade the amp or just run it straight into the PA or a wedge speaker.

Well the thing about the mustang 1, is that it doesn't really have a clean channel.
New guitar and amp if you ask me. Maybe a Peavey Tube 60 + a $400 guitar (preferably used).
Quote by Fisheth24

My thoughts as well.

OT:
I wouldn't upgrade either of those. For $700, you may be able to get a better amp (for heavy distortion, anyway) and a decent used guitar. I recommend a Superstrat.
Quote by FineVisionz
Well the thing about the Mustang I, is that it doesn't really have a clean channel.

The Mustang 1 does have clean channels. Do you have the older Mustang 1, or the newer Mustang I 2.0? The 2.0 has a preset "Studio Pre_V" that runs a totaly clean, dry un-modeled signal. This way you can use things like the Line 6 POD on it. If you have the older 1.0 version, then you can make the preset by yourself by using the Fender Fuse program.

Here is a thread link that may help you in creating the preset if you have the older version. I don't know if the 2.0 has the Studio Pre in it already or not. If it doesn't then it's easy as pie to download the preset off Fuse.

Anyways, learn how to use your Fuse program and find some better presets that work for you. The Mustang can do some really great high gain tones (for what it is), but you are not going to get them from the factory presets, you will have to find them and download them from Fuse.

IMO you would be much better off using the Mustang with some better presets for now. Then just save up for a better amp that's built for your needs and keep the Mustang for a small practice amp. But if you wan't to use a POD or anything else you can for now.
Quote by FineVisionz

Go for the Ltd EC1000 and buy yourself an amp later. The Mustang 1 should really be perfect for bedroom practicing. I don't understand why people here totally disregard the guitar and recommend buying a better amp in every single thread. No use to spend a lot on an amp before you really know how loud of an amp you will need.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by FineVisionz
What do you guys think of the Spyder Line 6 75 watt: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105482855-i1470460.gc

Also a friend told me about Guitar Center having used gear for low prices, For an example. He showed me that I could get a 4x12 marshall amp and a marshall amp head for like $250. Why does this number seem so low?

Just avoid the spyder

Because it's a cheap bottom of the range SS amp that hopes it'll trick new players into buying it because of the branding.

For 250 better options exist, such as the Peavey Vypr Tube and the standard one (I'm in the UK so don't take my word for it. Just going off what I've read on many threads we get)
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Just avoid the spyder

Because it's a cheap bottom of the range SS amp that hopes it'll trick new players into buying it because of the branding.

For 250 better options exist, such as the Peavey Vypr Tube and the standard one (I'm in the UK so don't take my word for it. Just going off what I've read on many threads we get)

I have more than $250 to spend. I am willing to spend up to $500
I got the chance to go out and look at both guitar and amps. I personally think that the amp makes the biggest difference. So the two amps that have caught my eye is the Line 6 Spyder 120watt and the Peavey 6505+ Combo. What are you guys opinions on these amps and which amp do you think is right for me?

Thanks
The Peavey is worlds ahead of the Spyder. Straight up, just don't buy the Spyder. It's terrible.
The 6505+ will be a massive upgrade.
As others have said, a Peavey Vypyr Tube is also something to look into. If you went this route, you could probably get the amp and a pretty nice guitar used for less than $700.
[404]Signature not found
6505+ is an infinitely better amp for what you want.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
This is one of those times where I think a Blackstar would be a really great choice, and a bunch of people inexperienced with what Blackstar is would want to jump on the hate bandwagon.

You want an amp that will sound good at bedroom volumes, as well as give you the volume you need to be heard above a drummer? For $500, you can get a used Blackstar Club HT40. It's got a solid state / ECC83 hybrid front end which will deliver the disto sound you want at bedroom volumes, and it's got a pair of EL34's that will give you enough warm sound when you wan to crank. Plus, it does high gain at low volumes pretty well. I happen to think that the Blackstar's overdriven sound is pretty darn good. GG&A guys here swear it off because some people refuse to check out what Solid State stuff is doing for amps these days. Oh well.

I've had a Blackstar HT20 Head and a Jet City JCA20 Head. The Jet City sounded great loud, but sounded like total bland butts below 3 on the volume mark. I live in an apartment. I hope that helps.

Does anyone have experience with playing a 6505+ at bedroom volumes? How's that work out?
Quote by JustRooster

Does anyone have experience with playing a 6505+ at bedroom volumes? How's that work out?

Works out quite well. It sounds pretty awful at whisper volumes, but it sounds good at conversation levels.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The Line 6 Pod and a good set of headphones was the best suggestion, if you're playing in your bedroom.
You can add virtually any powered speaker setup, from a good set of recording monitors to an arena PA system to the Pod and have essentially the same sound. There are a surprising number of folks using something like a Carvin PM12A (12" LF driver, 1.75" HF driver, 400W RMS (not peak!) power available, $279) to amplify their modeler.

The advantages:

It's relatively small and very lightweight (about 30 lbs)
It's powerful if you need it (400W RMS)
It's extremely versatile (amps, cabs, FX)

If you have a PA system at your venue (or practice place) you can simply take the Pod, leaving the powered speaker at home, OR you can use the powered speaker as a floor monitor wedge. You can also put these up on poles at ear level and above.