I play fingestyle acoustic guitar (similar vein to kaki king minus her incredible talent) and lately I've been starting to play out at different coffee shops, bars etc. I have little experience with playing live and I'm looking to get a little more out of my sound to make it sound more polished.

What types of effect pedals should I be looking for, and what kind of settings should I be setting them for? I know a reverb and delay pedal will be a good start, but what are the typical settings for an acoustic?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Quote by kylepianoman
What types of effect pedals should I be looking for, and what kind of settings should I be setting them for?
Possibly a reverb, possibly a compressor.
If you don't feel like your sound's missing something then don't get anything, imo.
Quote by kylepianoman
I know a reverb and delay pedal will be a good start, but what are the typical settings for an acoustic?
Whatever modulation to no fx apart from a pre.

Depends on who you ask for, and I'm gonna go for the second option.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
dont get delay, on acoustic is not needed unless for a certain effect. stick with reverb and a little (almost nothing) chorus to make it more ear candy. leave out the chorus if you go for the intimate thing. I wont put a compressor either, just a good preamp (or mic)

dont overlook vocal sound, is almost a must a little verb and comp, to blend nice with the processed acoustic sound and not appear as you are karaoking...
I only ever used spring reverb (built into the amp), set very light and subtle. Delay set very fast and light can be used to emulate reverb, but both would IMO be too much of a good thing. Compression might be useful, depending on your playing style. Good EQ capability, in the amp, preamp or as separate pedal could be valuable. Some like chorus, I don't.
I got a Goya model G4 acoustic 6 string. I can't find nothing about it anywhere. Can someone tell me what's it's worth or anything please. It's a really great guitar but I'm read for a new one.
Quote by Big4x4Jeep
I got a Goya model G4 acoustic 6 string. I can't find nothing about it anywhere. Can someone tell me what's it's worth or anything please. It's a really great guitar but I'm read for a new one.

It was a Martin importer brand made by Levin of Sweden, and Martin apparently still owns the name. Yours seems to date from the mid-90s. It could be a decent guitar, but the two prices I found were low.
I've never run effects with my acoustic but got a nice Fishman preamp in my Cort MR740fx.
One of the best controls on it is the ability to change the brilliance. My thoughts, if you have a decent pickup/preamp setup you should be able to make some nice sounds.
While not an effect, and I have never done it, I have seen a few professional (at least earning big bucks at certain events) use multiple EQs for their sets. They sounded great, but I never got to ask them why they use them, so I can only assume. Might be a good option since it allows you to super tweak your sound.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
While not an effect, and I have never done it, I have seen a few professional (at least earning big bucks at certain events) use multiple EQs for their sets. They sounded great, but I never got to ask them why they use them, so I can only assume. Might be a good option since it allows you to super tweak your sound.

That's interesting if they were using them simultaneously. Are EQs not considered effects?