Page 1 of 2
Hey hoverer, get in here there's a composition challenge inside.

So I had a new idea for a discussion thread, but I decided to kibosh it for the wooden anniversary of our little series. I did this for a couple of reasons. 1) One of the criticisms of my threads to this point is that they talked about music, but not musicianship and maybe the broader audience would be engaged if there were more of the latter. Fair play. 2) My idea is guaranteed to be anger inducing and divisive and there's enough of that going on right now, so let's chill o.k. This topic will be coming later though, so don't worry.

For now, I'm issuing an old school Musician Talk Composition Challenge!

In the spirit of great challenges stretching back as far as Archeo Avis and maybe beyond here is what I'm going to get you to do. There are two parts.

• Write a piece that only has one pitch
  • Any length (1-2 minutes might be a good goal)
  • Octaves count! If you choose to use A 440 as your pitch, that's all you get. No A 880, no A 220, just A 440.
  • Any instrument or combination of instruments is fine as long as only one pitch is used. I don't care if you use guitar, bass, your voice, a snare drum (tough one), a synthesizer, it doesn't matter.
  • You can use as many instances of that pitch as you want and change that sound in any way you want as long as the fundamental pitch remains the same.
  • Think about things like form, timbre, dynamics, phrasing and rhythm. These are all things at your disposal for this challenge.
  • Reflect on your piece
  • How did you have to change your thinking when you started to ignore pitch entirely?
  • What other aspects of sound and/or music did you use to create interest in your piece when you had no pitch material to work with?

There's no great rush, but I think to keep the momentum going we should try to have it done in a week (so by October 9). If you want to share some sketches and get some comments during the compositional process feel free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MuD6HKSVzo
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Oct 2, 2014,
fuck no I ain't Will

you give me all 12 notes (but no more, if you know what im sayin) in every octave or NO DEAL

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i prob won't do it but i'd prob just get a sample of a microwave beep and play it a bunch of times

put it through alchemy and rough it up and stuff

michael norris up a drone out of it
JRF, does indeterminate pitch count?

Can I use percussion and found sounds?
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Good question. I guess if you want to go that route go only that route you know? Like don't use it in addition to a pitch, but instead of. And in the spirit of the challenge I would limit the number of sounds you use.
Can you use both a guitar and a snare drum? I guess not. But it is OK to use for example guitar and bass if both play the same note, right?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Can you use both a guitar and a snare drum? I guess not. But it is OK to use for example guitar and bass if both play the same note, right?

Yeah guitar and bass would be fine. I think guitar and snare drum would be kind of cheap.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Does a week sounds good?

Good stuff

Disclaimer: If you for some reason you think you hear a strong Reich influence in my piece, to the point of blatant thievery. You totes didn't.
Ok, because my original thought was to fly into total Musique Concrete mode, but I won't do it if it pisses anyone off or is "cheating" haha. I can play by the rules...

I'd rather limit myself to signal processing and SFX, than signal processing and one stupid sine wave

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Last edited by Jet Penguin at Oct 2, 2014,
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Good stuff

Disclaimer: If you for some reason you think you hear a strong Reich influence in my piece, to the point of blatant thievery. You totes didn't.

Quote by Jet Penguin
Ok, because my original thought was to fly into total Musique Concrete mode, but I won't do it if it pisses anyone off or is "cheating" haha.

I'd rather limit myself to signal processing and SFX, than signal processing and one stupid sine wave

It's not supposed to be easy. It's called a CHALLENGE

There may be a musique concrete challenge at some point down the line too.
Well than in that case, One sine wave it is.

Get set to get wrecked, gents.

I call dibs on 493.883 Hz

Also I will shamelessly double post, but for good reason.

Organized JRF (OJRF? nah) I would like to make a motion. The next MT challenge should be an Exquisite Corpse. I can (I want to) totally referee it too, if necessary. I can even slap the whole thing together at the end and produce it/mix it down.

I like this challenge, and I accept.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah guitar and bass would be fine. I think guitar and snare drum would be kind of cheap.

What if I use a timpani tuned to the same pitch as the other instruments?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
We should have an arrangement challenge sometime. Like arrange a fixed melody (and ONLY a monophonic melody would be provided) to your own style or something. Everything except the melody would be up to you. Countermelodies and stuff would be allowed as long as that melody would be the main melody.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Oct 2, 2014,
Quote by Elintasokas
We should have an arrangement challenge sometime. Like arrange a fixed melody (and ONLY a monophonic melody would be provided) to your own style or something. Everything except the melody would be up to you.

This is a good idea.
Well, shit. Now I have to download Reaper ('cause I already own a license key for it) and do this. I'll report back in a week.
Quote by Elintasokas
We should have an arrangement challenge sometime. Like arrange a fixed melody (and ONLY a monophonic melody would be provided) to your own style or something. Everything except the melody would be up to you. Countermelodies and stuff would be allowed as long as that melody would be the main melody.

that's awesome let's do that

that's not really arranging though.... it's better than arranging

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You guys be in charge of that one, I'll spearhead the Exquisite Corpse.

I'm gonna make the thread tonight; the Exquisite Corpse will take a long time to make if we want it to be interesting. It'll be a long term/ongoing game.

So this is my piece. I took the single not thing pretty literally and it's just one open D string on my bass at the very beginning and the rest is all generated electronically. This was kind of an interesting challenge (even though I'm the one that gave it lol). It took a bit of experimenting to wrap my head around how to approach this.

https://soundcloud.com/zach-bales1/feedback-ting/s-4w8TH
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Oct 3, 2014,
wrong link m8

have to hit the share button at the bottom of the track to get a private link

edit: also i should probably clarify my piece

it's a microwave beep, just the one file

and then i did stuff to it for 10 minutes
I'll do something by the end of the today (I already shat something out real fast but I can do better ).

Will's is pretty good. It is everything he's been saying about music put on display.
Page 1 of 2