Hey guys. I recently changed the strings on my Ibanez USA Custom from DRs to EB Cobalt Slinkys. They're a different gauge, so I had to do an overhaul of my tremolo setup to make everything good as far as action, intonation, bridge height, etc. goes.

None of this is new to me, as I've had the guitar since 2006 and have played it in a wide variety of tunings with different string gauges and such and never had an issue with it.

However, this most recent time, I've acquired a significant amount of fret buzz ONLY on upstrokes on my low E string (actually a D because I'm in D standard). It doesn't matter what fret I press down on, the lowest string buzzes quite a lot. I've raised the action so that it's quite a bit higher than I usually have it and it still seems to be an issue. There is also a bit of buzz on the A and D strings when I play upstrokes, but not on any of the higher strings at all.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions as to how I might fix this? I'm worried that it's a problem with the truss rod, which I'm a bit hesitant to adjust on my own. If it isn't, I'm at a loss.
How long have you been playing? Do you think it could be a technique issue?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I've been playing since '04 and playing this guitar since '06, and I've never had this problem before, so I don't think it's a playing issue on my part.
Hmmm, that's a stumper. Is it only with the Cobalt strings, or with every set you try?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I haven't tried any strings since Cobalts, because I just put them on about a week ago and I'm pretty pleased with the way that they play and sound aside from this weird buzz.
might try raising your action a little on the lower strings. that's where i'd start
I raised the action a tiny bit more than I already had and it seems to have largely fixed the problem. There's still a little bit of buzz if I pick really hard, but I think I'm at peace with that, at least for the moment. Thanks for the help, guys.
Since it's only on upstrokes, it's your technique. Perhaps you developed a slightly bad habit lately. Are you maybe angling your pick a little differently, so that it pulls the string up on upstrokes? That could cause it to vibrate up and down relative to the guitar (instead of just side to side) more than it does on downstrokes. Or maybe you're just pulling upwards a little more. Sometimes bad habits do form and just need a little correction.
Did you adjust the Neck Relief (truss rod)? Always start there for a setup.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by mctriple
Since it's only on upstrokes, it's your technique. Perhaps you developed a slightly bad habit lately. Are you maybe angling your pick a little differently, so that it pulls the string up on upstrokes? That could cause it to vibrate up and down relative to the guitar (instead of just side to side) more than it does on downstrokes. Or maybe you're just pulling upwards a little more. Sometimes bad habits do form and just need a little correction.

You could certainly be right. I'll try to take a look at what I'm doing and play around with pick angle and such to see if that helps correct it further.

Quote by metalmingee
Did you adjust the Neck Relief (truss rod)? Always start there for a setup.

I didn't, no. I know that it's typical to check it first, but I honestly spaced it out since I've never had a problem with it before. I did everything else correctly though, I think. Raising the action just a touch more seems to have largely fixed it, but I'll be sure to do a more thorough job with neck relief when I restring next, which will likely be pretty soon as I'm currently playing a lot more than I had been previously.

Thanks again for the help, everyone!
Definitely check your neck relief first. If that's off then the entire setup will be off. You should check the relief periodically or whenever you change string gauges or brands as the different strings affect the tension on the neck which the truss rod compensates.

I suggest picking up an inexpensive capo next time you get some strings and some feeler gauges from a hardware or parts store. This way you can at least check the relief.

If you're not comfortable adjusting the truss rod you'll at least know you need to take it to a tech and you can double check their work.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .