Page 1 of 2
I'm outgrowing my Fender Mustang 1 and need to get a tube amp. I'm looking around the $500-600 range. I play in a very small church environment 2x a week so I would like to be able to bring it back to play with at home. What I play with over there is Line 6 50w SS. I have a drummer and bassist in the family so I also need to hang with them. What I think I need is a 1x12 combo. I don't play with too much distortion/gain so I don't need anything that can do metal. I like blues, rock, and a little bit of everything else. Some examples are SRV, Clapton,Hendrix.Zepplin, Satriani. I know that one amp can't do it all, I just want a good cleans and basic EQ. What I am looking at right now is a Blues Jr. Can anyone vouch for them? My only worry is that people say it has to have upgrades to really sound good. in that case, Would it be better to just get the NOS version? Or are there other amps in its class that are better? I have a birthday coming up, so It should be too long before I make a purchase.
"Sometimes you have to go insane, to out sane the sane"- Mortecai
Why is that? I think they both have two different purposes. Marshall's are more for heavier stuff right?
Quote by Fret Frier
Why is that? I think they both have two different purposes. Marshall's are more for heavier stuff right?

No everything you listed except the SRV is Marshall based. The DSL 401 has a better clean channel than the BJ and it has much better gain when you want a dirtier sound. Yes it can get heavier but you don't have to set the EQ for that. Overall the DSL401 is a far superior amp than any fender in your price range
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Not calling you a lier, but I find it hard believe that a Marshall would have better cleans.. will look into it though. would like to hear others thoughts .
Quote by Fret Frier
Not calling you a lier, but I find it hard believe that a Marshall would have better cleans.. will look into it though. would like to hear others thoughts .

I'm not saying the DSL 401 has better cleans than a Fender Twin, but a Blues Jr it whips the shit out of in every way.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's a bold statement. Also have to consider cost...We are comparing a 40watt to a 15 as well.
I've been saying this a lot lately, and I feel like I could be biased because I like a lot of power, but I think you need more power. If you're playing over a drummer, you may not be able to hear yourself at 15 watts, unless you want the sound to really break up.

Robbgnarly is right, though. Besides SRV and Clapton only recently, they all play Marshall amps. Marshall gets that stigma of not having good cleans from the popular models that are used in high-gain situations (e.g. 900 series), but some do have good cleans.

My favorite Fender amp in that price range, if we count the used market, is the Blues Deluxe Reissue.
I don't think I would need that much power, playing in the church group with 50w SS. I know that type of music is generally quiet, but we have jammed out some at practice. This is really my only reference to go off of.
Quote by Fret Frier
I don't think I would need that much power, playing in the church group with 50w SS. I know that type of music is generally quiet, but we have jammed out some at practice. This is really my only reference to go off of.

You may not need all 40 watts, but the clean headroom is what counts. a 15 watt amp will not have pristine cleans even at church volumes (unless your mic'd).

The DSL 401 will stay clean at gigging levels even if it isn't mic'd.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Frier, isn't this about the 15th "i need a tube amp" thread in two months? Time to go shopping my friend.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 2, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
You may not need all 40 watts, but the clean headroom is what counts. a 15 watt amp will not have pristine cleans even at church volumes (unless your mic'd).

The DSL 401 will stay clean at gigging levels even if it isn't mic'd.

Indeed.

Robb is right. The DSL is a much better fit for you than the BJ. 15 watts is typically the bare minimum if you're playing with a drummer, but you will have basically zero clean headroom with that. You just won't be happy with it. If you won't consider the DSL, at least rule out the BJ imo. Otherwise, what's the point of asking for our advice?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
^ yeah if he wants a Fender, a Blues Deluxe may be a better option for him. I still think the Marshall will be a more versatile amp overall
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cajundaddy
Frier, isn't this about the 15th "i need a tube amp" thread in two months? Time to go shopping my friend.

This, too. If you want new suggestions, then give us new information, at least. Otherwise, you've got plenty of advice in the other three (I think) threads.
Check out Traynor amps, they're pretty awesome. I've got a YCV20 and I love it. I also tried out the Peavey Classic 30 when looking for a new amp.
Do you have an gain pedals you would use to drive the amp into the dirtier regions?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Look at Traynor Blue, it does everything you mentioned.
Vox Ac15, Laney LC15, Peavey VK or Windsor. Ashdown Fallen Angel combo used (if you can hang with the irony), Peavey Classic 30, Carvin tweed series, Orange Tiny terror combo, maybe even Marshall Class 5.
I think I'll go Traynor first in this case.
What about a used Peavey JSX Combo $500 - $700? It covers all of the other Peavey's mentioned but you can kick up the Ultra channel for some gain if the time comes.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
^ the Peavey Windsor combo is only OK unless you mod the hell out of it. I have one and if I would have had to pay full price for all the mods I would have spent over $300.

The Traynor is pretty good, they are just ugly combos.

I still stand by my original DSL401 suggestion
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've seen a lot of people who think the bigger Mustangs sound really good. Do you not care for the tone of your 15?
I do not like the whole modeling concept.
I'm considering the DSL, sounds like a great amp. The only problem is that it is over my budget if I were to get it new, and The used market where I live is little to none. I typed it in on CL, and I Only got results from "nearby areas". At this point, if I'm going to be looking at 40w amps in the same price range, it would probably be between the DSL and Blues Deluxe.
You can order from Guitar Center and they give you a 30 day return policy on used amps
here you go

Here $450 for a DSL401 www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-Used--Marshall--JCM2000-DSL401-40-WATT---Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110104731-i3750201.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Fret Frier
I do not like the whole modeling concept.

That sounds carefully thought out.
Mind sharing that with us?
Fine. I hate having switching back and forth on amp "models". none of them sound good and there is no way to turn it off. It messes with the sound of your guitar. there is just to much to look at. The EQ knobs only modify what's already on the preset bank. The effects sound cheap and compressed. It's a $99 do all in one amp. It was just what I needed when I first started.
Last edited by Fret Frier at Oct 3, 2014,
^ He was saying that because there are some really good modeling amps now that are almost indistinguishable from the real amp. Modeling is used on an immense number of recordings these days and for the last 10+ yrs

Regardless check the link above
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok robb, blues deluxe runs at the same price on there. Do you have any experience with GC used?
Quote by Fret Frier
Ok robb, blues deluxe runs at the same price on there. Do you have any experience with GC used?

Yeah I have bought several heads and combos from them an never had an issue.
I actually put it in the cart to find out the shipping and it came up as $0.00, so you may luck out and only have to pay your state tax

I still would go Marshall for what you said you wanted
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 3, 2014,
I too have had good luck with GC going used. Bought an old Acoustic bass amp from them like 4 or 5 years ago and its still going strong
Quote by Fret Frier
Fine. I hate having switching back and forth on amp "models". none of them sound good and there is no way to turn it off. It messes with the sound of your guitar. there is just to much to look at. The EQ knobs only modify what's already on the preset bank. The effects sound cheap and compressed. It's a $99 do all in one amp. It was just what I needed when I first started.

Sounds like you're not a fan of the Mustang rather than Modelers as a whole,

OT: DSL would be good here, but I'm no expert.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by diabolical
Have you looked at Traynor instead of DSL?
http://traynoramps.com/guitar/ycv/product/ycv50b/

Good amps, ugly as hell. you can deff tell a Canadian designed them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just wanna chime in to back up what these guys are saying:

A) GC used is fantastic. I order from GC used all the time, shipping prices are totally reasonable, and their shit is packed really well. Last thing I bought was a Maxon pedal, and it was entombed in bubble wrap hahaha. I've bought guitars, amps and pedals from GC used, shipped to other stores and to my house. Never a single issue.

B) The DSL401 is a fantastic amp, and you cannot judge an entire brand off of an idea or a single model. Marshall vs Fender cleans is really a preference thing more than anything. I happen to love both, depending on my mood. Though that point is almost moot, because the DSL401 can actually hang with Fenders though, rather than strictly doing its own thing. It's got a great clean, and is more low gain oriented than the heads. I think it'd be a really great option for you.

It can get heavy sure, but only if you set it up that way. Amps are often surprisingly versatile - though it takes experience to be able to dial them in to their full potentials. You gotta know how to work an amp, and also, know how to play a guitar (picking dynamics) to get the most out of your gear.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You have an incorrect opinion about Marshall amps. Some of the best blues ever played was done using Marshalls, and not just old Marshalls like the JTM45. Gary Moore used JCM2000 DSL100's for the vast majority of his live work during his blues period. Best live blues tone of all time IMO. You may want to rethink your stance - and listen to Robb. He knows what he's talking about.

And btw, the new Marshall DSL's are rubbish. If a DSL doesn't have JCM2000 written on it, walk away. But a word of warning - you want a JCM2000 DSL made after 2003.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 4, 2014,
I also liked the Traynor Blue, I thought it was a good looking amp.

The new DSL line is Chinese, but there are still a few happy new purchasers. I have to hear to compare both side by side but I remember that Vox became rubbish after it went to Korg.
I've played several Traynors now over the last 5 years and they are very well built. Solid pieces of kit. I agree with Robb, that as a whole they are not the greatest looking amps on the earth but they have really really good tone. There are plenty of other amps out there that I think are uglier such as: Jet City, Friedman, Diezel VH4, and quite frankly - a lot of Vox amps
I think orange amps have a cool aesthetic actually. Like the pics only one. Just a different feel from most amps

Agreed on diezel just looking bad. I get their look because the name is diezel lol, but still... Gross. Even matchless or badcat kind of have whatever looking amps. Matchless looks really boring, and the cat eyes on bad cat amps just look like they were drawn by a child

There's one maker, i forget the name, but they had a really cool looking glass front panel with green lighting and cool stenciling and such. A regular on here had one, and they really liked it. Pretty sure it was a german builder? Gah

OT: Traynor is good TS
possibly the ugliest amp ever made
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate