this is my first time posting about this sort of thing, so i apologize if im in the wrong place

the title is pretty self explanatory. i moved into a dorm a month ago, bringing only my acoustic (since my only amp is a 100 watt half stack). i miss playing metal, and i want to play my electric again. what are some good practice amps for metal tones?
Dorm? Pod HD.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Highly recommend a little Vypyr for this situation.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Yep get a Line 6 POD and a set of decent headphones. You can get a POD XT for $65 on ebay and they sound pretty good even by todays modeling standards
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I had a lot of good times with the distorted Krankenstien setting on my Vypyr15 through headphones.
Quote by pAWNlol
this is my first time posting about this sort of thing, so i apologize if im in the wrong place

the title is pretty self explanatory. i moved into a dorm a month ago, bringing only my acoustic (since my only amp is a 100 watt half stack). i miss playing metal, and i want to play my electric again. what are some good practice amps for metal tones?

What is your budget?
I would get a POD HD 300. It sounds great and has a decent amount of FX. If you like a lot of effects on at once then maybe it's not your thing, but that's really the only drawback of the 300. It has a huge library of custom-made tones, as much if not more than the other two models.
Quote by pAWNlol

I recommend you EVH 5150 III, this amp good for any styles. But it depends on your budget.
Quote by ghostnastromo
I recommend you EVH 5150 III, this amp good for any styles. But it depends on your budget.

He wants quiet, dorm playing why the hell would he get even the 50 watt 5150III? It will be way too loud for dorm life.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
He wants quiet, dorm playing why the hell would he get even the 50 watt 5150III? It will be way too loud for dorm life.

Oh sorry! I missed it))) So that's will be better ZOOM G3.
Recently my friend bought it for a quiet playing at home.
Playing my 5150 III 50 at 4 AM right now.

But I still stand by my Pod HD suggestion.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames

But you aren't in a dorm, are you?)
Quote by ghostnastromo
But you aren't in a dorm, are you?)

Nope. But it can easily get quiet enough without disturbing anyone on the other side of a wall and it does have a headphone out if necessary.

Both are perfect for practice.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Nope. But it can easily get quiet enough without disturbing anyone on the other side of a wall and it does have a headphone out if necessary.

Both are perfect for practice.

Totally agree, there is only question on amp budget.
Quote by lemurflames

But in a dorm your sharing a room with another person, so there is at least one person in your general area that does not have a wall between you and them

I agree with the POD
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
But in a dorm your sharing a room with another person, so there is at least one person in your general area that does not have a wall between you and them

I agree with the POD

Also you should have a good closed headphones, because when you're playing with the headphones on, your roomate can hear you.)))
sorry, you guys reminded me that i left out a bit of important information

my budget is ABSOLUTELY no more than 500$, but preferably no more than 300$
also, im not huge on digital effects. i prefer to use pedals. do you guys recommend blackstar combos? my half stack is a blackstar, and i ****ing love it. i just dont know how good their practice amps are

oh, and i dont have a roommate. not really important, but just felt like throwing that out there
Last edited by pAWNlol at Oct 4, 2014,
What is your halfstack?

Blackstar's cheaper stuff is fine for practicing, but they get a lot of hate around here out of principle. Blackstar's marketing is scummy when it comes to their HT line and budget/beginner guitarists.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Oct 4, 2014,
I wouldn't give Blackstar the steam off my shit.

For your situation, get a Pod. If you also need to jam with other musos get yourself a powered wedge to go with it. This, coming from a tube fanatic.

Edit: And a decent pair of headphones. Audio Technica ATH-M50's are really good for the money.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 4, 2014,
Quote by lemurflames
What is your halfstack?

Blackstar's cheaper stuff is fine for practicing, but they get a lot of hate around here out of principle. Blackstar's marketing is scummy when it comes to their HT line and budget/beginner guitarists.

i have an HT stage 100. i was never told anything about their "scummy marketing". ive only heard good things about the tone of their amps

whats the short version of what is so bad about them?

Quote by Cathbard

For your situation, get a Pod. If you also need to jam with other musos get yourself a powered wedge to go with it. This, coming from a tube fanatic.

i do plan on playing with other people, so i do want something that can get a little loud
Last edited by pAWNlol at Oct 7, 2014,
Quote by pAWNlol

whats the short version of what is so bad about them?

They market the HT series as all tube but they are actually a hybrid, not that it is a band thing, but the way they purposfully lead people to believe it is all tube is why most here have a distaste for them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Blackstar: "HT = all valve/tube amplifier"

In short: They are not. Even when they've been proven that they are not, by people that have knowledge in amp design, their engineers swear they are. Probably an NDA, maybe.

A surprising amount of people also come here asking about what "all tube" amp they should buy and then say they are close to ordering a lower end HT. Gotta correct them, because it certainly isn't what they want.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Oct 7, 2014,
I recorded a video of my Randall Diavlo RD1H amplifier (1 Watt tube amplifier, although the Tone Stack Shift filtering is solid state) for you to listen to. Not sure if my 5150 iii sounds better at the same volume but it sounds pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmjSaAFo3Zo
Last edited by farmosh203 at Oct 7, 2014,
do you use/need effects or what priority are they? honestly if i were to be silent or very quiet (even though my mesas Fryewtte, etc perform fin extremely quiet) i would get a pod of some kind, and the best monitor you can. plug MFX right into the monitor and you are golden. that and maybe a set of studio monitors,

i don't do it myself but i have heard people doing it and people like to see it on here.

i like my big loud amps personally though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by pAWNlol
because itll just be a practice amp, im not too picky on whether its tube or solid state. im just looking for the best metal tone for the best price

I'm gonna go ahead and second the POD suggestion. Great tones considering that it's not a big amp, tons of effects, if that's your thing, great OD/dist tones, headphone output that will sound exactly the same as the other outputs (not many amps, especially tube amps, can boast that), and if you want to play out loud, you can just plug it into any powered speaker. Even plug the headphone jack into a little set of PC speakers.
which POD do you guys recommend? theres more than one POD. also, how much do their footswitches cost? id prefer to be able to change tones while playing
Used HD500
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Used HD500

thats the hot one.

the X3 is pretty good, they are cheap.

if you want cheaper go XT

just get something on the floor that sound decent and you will be entertained for hours.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by pAWNlol
i talked to my friend recently whos good with amps, and he recommended a marshall mg or a roland micro cube

i saw this nice little marshall mg at a good price http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-mg-series-mg30cfx-30w-1x10-guitar-combo-amp?rNtt=marshall%20mg&index=1

does anybody know if its good for metal tones?

No the MG sucks and has a very buzzy distortion.
how much do footswitches for vypyrs cost? id really prefer to have a footswitch
Quote by pAWNlol
which POD do you guys recommend? theres more than one POD. also, how much do their footswitches cost? id prefer to be able to change tones while playing

If you get one of the HD series PODs, you don't need a footswitch. They've got several stomp buttons for switching presets and turning on and off effects, plus an expression pedal for volume and wah. You can still connect a Floorboard footswitch to them, just to have a remote control for the other side of the room or stage, but you have footswitch access to everything right out of the box. The HD500 is awesome.
If you get a POD as sugested you'll have something you can also use with your 100w'er....instead of a practice amp you'll kick to the side later
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500