Hey guys I want to change pickups on my guitar and need an advice. Im choosing between active blackouts and passive 498t/490r. Is anyone using them?
I use Blackouts but I'm not that familiar with the 498t/490r. I suspect they are VERY different.

If you're going with active Blackouts, you'll need a different set of volume/tone pots if your guitar is not already setup for actives. Somebody else can chime in with more specific details; I've never swapped between actives and passives.

I can tell you that Blackouts will push your preamp pretty hard -- they are sort of like EMG 81s only have a little more bass and sound warmer (they sound a lot better to me, hehe). They still have that active compression characteristic which may or may not be desirable to you.
Quote by KailM
I use Blackouts but I'm not that familiar with the 498t/490r. I suspect they are VERY different.

If you're going with active Blackouts, you'll need a different set of volume/tone pots if your guitar is not already setup for actives. Somebody else can chime in with more specific details; I've never swapped between actives and passives.

I can tell you that Blackouts will push your preamp pretty hard -- they are sort of like EMG 81s only have a little more bass and sound warmer (they sound a lot better to me, hehe). They still have that active compression characteristic which may or may not be desirable to you.

Now i have Gibson Les Paul with passives, sometimes i play blues and i heard that Blackouts can screw up a clean sound. Is it true?
What pickups are in the Gibson now? The 498t is a little hotter for passive (as far as gibson pups) but not as much as a blackout would be. I honestly would stick with the 498t/490r
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by RCA1186
What pickups are in the Gibson now? The 498t is a little hotter for passive (as far as gibson pups) but not as much as a blackout would be. I honestly would stick with the 498t/490r

Oh sorry, i made a mistake, now i have a 57 Classic , but it's not enough gain for me.
Last edited by ghostnastromo at Oct 3, 2014,
So what is it about the 490R/498T set that you don't like?

What amp are you using?
Quote by Roc8995

What amp are you using?

Oh sorry, i made a mistake, now i have a 57 Classic , but it's not enough gain for me.
Quote by Roc8995

What amp are you using?

I have Victor Workshop custom tupe preamp
Blackouts clean up fine.

Seriously tho, there are plenty of super hot passives to choose from without having to completely re-jig your Gibby to actives for high gain.
Charvel / Godin / Peavey / Marshall / AMT
Quote by Danustar
Blackouts clean up fine.

Seriously tho, there are plenty of super hot passives to choose from without having to completely re-jig your Gibby to actives for high gain.

57 Classic?
I think 57 Classic sounds very good, but they're not so hot for me. They're good for classic rock sound, but sometimes i play alternative hard music.
The 490/498 set isn't tons hotter than the 57 set. Plus aftermarket Gibson pickups are rather expensive. I'd be looking at the hotter sets from Duncan and Dimarzio, not Gibson pickups, especially if you want a heavier/higher output pickup.
If you want super hot passives try some Black Winters or Nazguls. . . It all depends on the sound you're trying to achieve.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Roc8995
The 490/498 set isn't tons hotter than the 57 set. Plus aftermarket Gibson pickups are rather expensive. I'd be looking at the hotter sets from Duncan and Dimarzio, not Gibson pickups, especially if you want a heavier/higher output pickup.

Thanks a lot!
The most important thing for me is this kinda crispy sound without any dirt. Because i like to play with low gain level. I think i will listen to Duncan pickups, thanks for your advice. I should check them all out.
Quote by metalmingee
If you want super hot passives try some Black Winters or Nazguls. . . It all depends on the sound you're trying to achieve.

Thank you so much.
As i understood all Duncan's hi gain pickups sound interesting ,but i don't know much about this brand do i will check it out. Thanks for Black Winters or Nazguls, gotta check it out too.