I'm playing my 25-year old Encore C103 classical guitar in public on a regular basis, and could really benefit from being able to plug it in. (external mic's are not a good solution for my application)
My ideal would be to trade it in for a brand new steel string guitar but the cheapest guitar I like the sound of has an rrp of around £550 - (best price for the one I'd like is £360) that's just not in the budget therefore it's out of the question.

The old nylon string has a very cheap passive SBT transducer and endpin plug. - but it doesn't work properly, it's very quiet and the sound cuts out intermittently - ergo it's just useless.

Looking at steel string guitars I always find I HATE the sound of the Piezo "Quack" - and in particular have a true hatred of the sound of the Fishman Piezo that is almost ubiquitous in most guitars in my price-range.

I did find I liked the sound of the LAG guitars, and noticed that their Studio Plus preamps gave the best sound I've heard from a plugged in guitar at affordable prices... but I just cant afford a new guitar.

As I liked the sound of the Shadow NFX pickup (subject to shaping) I'm considering installing a Shadow NFX EP-C or Shadow M-Sonic CVT in place of the current SBT. I can get these for £70 - £80, and am competent to do a DIY install.

Does anyone have any thought's I should consider or alternative suggestions? - The stated money is very nearly the top of my budget range, and is about 40% off the RRP of the units stated.
I don't like piezo quack either, which is why I use magnetics on steels strings, but it can help to brighten the attack on warm-toned nylon styles - make them more guitarra flamenca-like if you will. The K&K SBTs have a big following, and that is what I would try in your situation, but you also need a decent preamp. The Red Eye is supposed to be good with K&Ks, but the Baggs Paracoustic DI is still very popular. Or see what K&K suggest.
What if you got a piezo pickup and then bought some sort of preamp/EQ to shape the tone better?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣