I hate using UG on my phone, so I've been absent for a week, while in hospital. I'm out on pass until Tuesday.

Firstly, I'd like a moment of quiet appreciation for the poor bugger whose kidney is now settling in to my right iliac fossa. Whoever they were, thank you for donating.

Secondly, another thank you to the staff of the renal surgical unit at the Western Infirmary, Glasgow. Even the nurse(whose identity will remain hidden) who stood on the tube of my catheter, causing the sort of squeal that only dogs can hear.

And finally, I'd like you all to roundly curse whatever bastard is responsible for the catering. I've had one decent meal in a week. **** hospital food. **** it right up the asshole. It couldn't possibly make it taste worse, anyway.
I LOVE GLASGOW

Good to hear buddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Firstly, I'd like a moment of quiet appreciation for the poor bugger whose kidney is now settling in to my right iliac fossa. Whoever they were, thank you for donating.

np bro
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Did they stick a tube up your pee pee hole?

This.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by archangels
Congrats on making it through invasive surgery. Shit's rough.

On a related note, someone should really make a mobile app for the forums.

They should bring back the instant messaging chat function as well. In fact, just redefine the entire site away from tabulature (because honestly, who gives a shit about tabs? lol) and just make it a music-centric social networking site for musicians and music enthusiasts.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Donations are great, everyone should offer when they die. Glad you made it through !
Glad you're alright. It's funny, patients in the hospital always get terrible food... but if you go down to the cafeteria, it's usually pretty decent. I think they're giving all the leftovers that have been sitting in the fridge for a week to the patients, just so they can get them more sick and hold them longer.

On another note, here's an amusing pig you can read about:

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by DonGlover
They should bring back the instant messaging chat function as well. In fact, just redefine the entire site away from tabulature (because honestly, who gives a shit about tabs? lol) and just make it a music-centric social networking site for musicians and music enthusiasts.

IM chat function? I don't remember that ever being a thing.

And I agree with making it it more inclusive for all types of musicians, but I think removing tabs would be the opposite of the right thing to do in that case. Start allowing sheet music as well as tabs for other instruments.

But this is not a thread about UG. This is a thread about slapsy getting better!
Get well slapsyMcDougal, let Dancing Sam enter your heart

and you should read that article about the drunk pig u will NOT regret it!!!11!!1!!
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
shouldn't this be a NKD thread?
hope you feel better soon!
Fender | Peavey | Epiphone | Hohner | Ernie Ball | Planet Waves | Jim Dunlop | Marshall | Lee Oskar | Traynor | Suzuki | Jackson

Compulsive gear buyer
Quote by RylanThePotato
Get well slapsyMcDougal, let Dancing Sam enter your heart

and you should read that article about the drunk pig u will NOT regret it!!!11!!1!!

Yes, dancing Sam makes everything better.
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Quote by archangels
IM chat function? I don't remember that ever being a thing.

And I agree with making it it more inclusive for all types of musicians, but I think removing tabs would be the opposite of the right thing to do in that case. Start allowing sheet music as well as tabs for other instruments.

But this is not a thread about UG. This is a thread about slapsy getting better!

It was called meebo or sumthin
Damn man. What are you in the hospital for?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Euughhh...Hospital food *shudder*
I remember when I was younger and had to go to hospital from a serious head injury. When I was ready to be let go, they wouldn't/couldn't discharge me till I ate some food which I refused because it was pure feces on a plate.
My mum ended up searching the nearby area for a local chippy xD

Quote by DonGlover

I barely visit the tabs these days, but I remember 'back in the day' when it was a pretty valuable resource to my early playing. For that reason alone I wouldn't take the site away from tabs.
A redesign would be useful though if they had more support for other instruments such as sheet music, since I can't really find a reliable place to find that.
I know they started supporting 'drum tabs', but from what I've seen they're few and far between. Plus I can't imagine the first place a drummer would go for tabs would be a site named 'ultimate-guitar' (I can't imagine drummers looking for drum tabs at all).

But yea, I support it being overall 'music-centric' rather than just 'guitar'. It would be nice to have a more open forum since I imagine the name of the site alone stops a lot of people coming here.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by link no1

I barely visit the tabs these days, but I remember 'back in the day' when it was a pretty valuable resource to my early playing. For that reason alone I wouldn't take the site away from tabs.
A redesign would be useful though if they had more support for other instruments such as sheet music, since I can't really find a reliable place to find that.
I know they started supporting 'drum tabs', but from what I've seen they're few and far between. Plus I can't imagine the first place a drummer would go for tabs would be a site named 'ultimate-guitar' (I can't imagine drummers looking for drum tabs at all).

But yea, I support it being overall 'music-centric' rather than just 'guitar'. It would be nice to have a more open forum since I imagine the name of the site alone stops a lot of people coming here.

Those are some great ideas! I couldn't agree more on the sheet music part. It is so annoying to find piano music...
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Quote by archangels
Congrats on making it through invasive surgery. Shit's rough.

On a related note, someone should really make a mobile app for the forums.

The forums are vBulletin so it would probably be easy for them to set up Tapatalk like most forums do now. I suggested it a while back in that suggestions forum but they didn't seem to care.
how does it feel to have a piece of meat of someone else inside you? for the rest of your life..

jokes aside get well soon m8.
How much are you paying for all of this, TS?
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Did they stick a tube up your pee pee hole?

Yes. It doesn't come out until Tuesday, because not peeing for 7 1/2 years has caused my bladder to shrink; so the surgeon wants to give the plumbing more time to heal. Also, I need to get staples taken out, and(assuming things aren't leaking), a drain removed.

Sad to say, in about 5-6 weeks, I'll need another op to remove the stent that's in place at the join between donor ureter and my bladder, and that's done via uroscopy(they'll stick a fiber-optic camera - with bonus tools - up my boaby and into my bladder for that one.

Quote by Xiaoxi
Damn man. What are you in the hospital for?

Kidney transplant. It's been a busy week for the department. They usually expect one or two transplants a week, but they've done 8 between last Friday and me getting out yesterday.

Quote by guitarist41
How much are you paying for all of this, TS?

In the currency of pain and discomfort, quite a bit. In monetary terms, nothing(though I will lose about £25 a week in benefit payments initially, since that was awarded on the basis that I needed a carer to dialyse at home).
Though since it's cheaper to dialyse at home anyway(exactly how cheap varies geographically, but about 7-8 years ago, home dialysis was £10-15,000 cheaper per patient per year that outpatient dialysis), it still represented a considerable saving to the Teasury

Quote by Dregen
i hope you get better

that being said, i disagree cause hospital food is bomb

There are occasional things that are not too bad. But pretty much nothing is actually prepared on-site(GG&C has a central *******, where everything gets prepared, and then shipped out to the other hospitals - well, except Gartnavel, they still have on-site *******s, and the food there is pretty decent - which is at least a step up from the old caterers, who made everything in Wales, and froze it for transit).

Basically, out of the 10 meals I had in the hospital, I cleared my plate once. Only reason I didn't starve is having food brought in at visiting time.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses.
EDIT: I forgot about the censoring of a word for 'room in which food preparation occurs'.
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Oct 4, 2014,
Quote by daytripper75
Do Glaswegian hospitals offer haggis?

Yes, it was on the Thursday lunchtime menu. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, myself. The only places I've ever had good haggis from have been the Ubiquitous Chip, and the restaurant owned and run by the Chip's former executive chef(which is like 10 minutes down the road from my house). Though if you're buying at the supermarket, MacSween's is pretty good.

Cheap haggis tends to be much too peppery. And I know, one might suggest that anything that disguises the taste of the actual ingredients ought to be a good thing, but a good haggis really doesn't need it. Just neeps an' tatties(though these should be prepared with a reasonable amount of pepper, and around 3 heart attacks worth of butter per serving).
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Yes, it was on the Thursday lunchtime menu. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, myself. The only places I've ever had good haggis from have been the Ubiquitous Chip, and the restaurant owned and run by the Chip's former executive chef(which is like 10 minutes down the road from my house). Though if you're buying at the supermarket, MacSween's is pretty good.

Cheap haggis tends to be much too peppery. And I know, one might suggest that anything that disguises the taste of the actual ingredients ought to be a good thing, but a good haggis really doesn't need it. Just neeps an' tatties(though these should be prepared with a reasonable amount of pepper, and around 3 heart attacks worth of butter per serving).

I kinda figured they would.

I've never even tried it, granted it isn't all that common in the US.
Quote by daytripper75

It's actually not uncommon to find haggis that's actually made with pork offal, rather than sheep. And it's increasingly rare to find it actually made in the stomach - and to be fair, with good reason. A well-made synthetic case(or, as is increasingly common, using charcuterie-type casings) is less likely to split during cooking, which makes a hell of a mess.

Also, while neeps & tatties are the traditional accompaniment, you're hardly obligated to serve it like that. Chippies will do deep-fired haggis, some do haggis burgers, or even on a pizza(used as equivalent to ground beef). Chicken Balmoral, or even haggis pakora make a nice change. Quite often, restaurants will do a haggis tower(basically layered haggis/neeps/tatties, served with a whisky cream sauce) as a starter that can work well.

You could probably have a go at making it yourself, there are plenty of recipes online. Just find a decent butcher, and ask if he can get you the offal - whether beef, lamb, pork or whatever - and a casing. If he'll mince it for you, too, then all you really need to do is season, mix and get it in the casing. Being able to season it to your preference will make a big difference.
Quote by daytripper75

I'm not sure if it still is, but it has been illegal to import haggis into the US for quite some time, as it does not constitute an actual foodstuff in America.

EDIT: it has been known to have been smuggled in through Canada around burns night though.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
3 heart attacks worth of butter per serving

The best amount.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Oct 4, 2014,
Quote by Pastafarian96
I'm not sure if it still is, but it has been illegal to import haggis into the US for quite some time, as it does not constitute an actual foodstuff in America.

EDIT: it has been known to have been smuggled in through Canada around burns night though.

The best amount.

The illegality is actually due to a ban on imports of food containing sheep lung(1971), and in 1989, when a ban all all British beef and lamb products was enacted due to BSE.

The latter is under review by some government department or other, but apparently the sheeps lung one will continue being enforced, because the country that gave us spray-on cheese and 'cheese' slices that do not in fact contain cheese, somehow believes they have any idea what food is.
Quote by Pastafarian96

It can't be imported, but it can still be made here. It just isn't all that common.