I've been self teaching from "Rock Guitar - Beginning" by Paul Howard and he talks about "Left hand muting/chucking" and takes you though the Nirvana Teen Spirit riff as an example.

He describes it as reducing the pressure on the chord so the strings no touch the frets, and stum those strings,.. and he doesn't mention any palm involvement. I loved the cool sound it made. He had dealt with muting and right hand chucking elsewhere, and it seemed to me that left-hand chucking and right-hand chucking (with your palm) are two similar but different things with distinct effects.

Then when I watched a few videos they all do the teen spirit riff with right hand chucking. (muting with your palm). I googled left-hand chucking like crazy, .. and I can't find anyone else who talks about left hand chucking without your palm. It seems that everywhere I look, chucking involves palm muting.

I'm a total noob and I just want to make sure I'm understanding the book.
Left hand chucking (no palm involved) is a "thing" right?
Yes, you can mute with both picking and fretting hand. I never know what the official term for fretting hand muting is but if you want other examples of it, there's Funk 49 and the intro to Voodoo Child (with the help of wah). As for smells like teen spirit, I'm not sure which video you were watching but I've never seen someone play it with palm muting before o.0

And rather than thinking of it as reducing pressure, think more simply touching the string. And both muting sound different so you'll want to learn both.
Quote by Arron_Zacx
Yes, you can mute with both picking and fretting hand. I never know what the official term for fretting hand muting is but if you want other examples of it, there's Funk 49 and the intro to Voodoo Child (with the help of wah).

Cool, thanks. I've only been playing for about 1 month,.. so I'm really just beginning to grasp all this stuff.

As for smells like teen spirit, I'm not sure which video you were watching but I've never seen someone play it with palm muting before o.0

Yup! I was REALLY unclear there,,.. I meant instructional you tube lesson videos,.. they seem to be doing right hand muting (and I may be wrong there too,.. but it sounds like right hand muting.)

And rather than thinking of it as reducing pressure, think more simply touching the string.

Thanks! Still working on the feel it's helpful.

And both muting sound different so you'll want to learn both.

Definitely! And that's why I was surprised I didn't find reference to left hand muting online, ... but I suspect that's because I don't understand this well enough yet to search properly.