Hi, hopefully I put this in the right area..
Anyway, so recently I bought a new guitar. I got a schecter c-1 classic, and I love it. The 5 way switch with the seymour duncan jb and jazz combo has a wonderfully crisp overdrive sound. However, I've found it fairly difficult to get a good deep chug out of my Palm mutes. I play a lot of Blues, which it sounds wonderful on, but I also play a lot of metal and thrash. And the lack of that deep sounding... Resonators if you will, just doesn't sound as good as I'd like.
I occasionally use an orange solid state combo, but usually I use my Peavey valveking head and cab. I keep my amp set on clean and use one of my pedals for any distortion or overdrive I want. (either my full tone ocd, or a boss metalcore). I've got the amp set at about 5 for the high, 6-7 for the mid, and about 7-8 for bass.
So how might I get a better chug and harder hitting low end? I would likely say that that would require a pickup change, but I'm not sure what might be a good replacement. And maybe I'm just missing something..
Anyhow, forgive the long message and thank you very much

P. S. I might add that I'm fairly sure I've got the technique side down. Not that it means I'm any good at all, but I have been playing for about 10 years.
In before the 'get a new amp/speakers/pedalssuxderp'

I run a similar setup .. pedals through a clean VK100 and observe the following:

1. The ML-2 should have enough tight gain to get that thump you want on it's own .. so I think it's doable with your gear. Try leaving the OCD out of the equation until you get this sorted cos it will likely rob some of your bottom end and just confuse the issue.
2. The JB is fine, if not ideal.
3. That Mid eq seems a bit much for chuggy thrash. I suspect you have the Resonance set too high and are trying to compensate for lost clarity with the Mid dial. Roll the Resonance back to like 2 or so and redo your amp and pedal eqs.
4. Seems like a lot of amp Bass too. Try letting the Low eq on the pedal do most of the work there.
5. Set the amp Texture on full clockwise if you haven't already.

EDIT: There are a ton of tweaks you can do to the VK to trick up your sound - there's a 500 mile long dedicated Valveking thread around here somewhere with all the ins and outs. I don't think you're gonna need most of it to get in the ballpark of what you're after. One thing I would recommend tho, if you're not already, plug into Input 2. It's less hot than input one and allows you more room to add eq and gain to taste without it muddying or icepicking your tone to death. gl hf
Charvel / Godin / Peavey / Marshall / AMT
Last edited by Danustar at Oct 4, 2014,
Ya, I don't use the pedals together. I use the ocd as either just a booster for some twang or as an overdrive for blues. I use the ml2 for all my distortion when I want that.
And thank you. I rolled back my mid and bass just a bit, and with my reverb on about 4 or 5 it sounds awesome. I did leave the bass at around 7, personally I just felt like that sounded good. Also I just have the 20w head, not the 100w. Idk if it does but that may make a difference
Hmm possibly, but the basic principles are the same.
Charvel / Godin / Peavey / Marshall / AMT
Use you ocd to clean boost your dirt channels made my xxx even meaner. If you dial in a good rock tone with your head the ocd boosting that tone
will give you What your after. Works for me.
Leave the metalzone or whatever out use the ocd.
Been playing a long while and most pedals that say
Metal are cans of fizzy bees overdrive your dirt with the ocd is the ticket.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Last edited by RJH11 at Oct 9, 2014,
Quote by RJH11
Use you ocd to clean boost your dirt channels made my xxx even meaner. If you dial in a good rock tone with your head the ocd boosting that tone
will give you What your after. Works for me.
Leave the metalzone or whatever out use the ocd.
Been playing a long while and most pedals that say
Metal are cans of fizzy bees overdrive your dirt with the ocd is the ticket.

This is what you need to try first. If that dosen't work, then the VK may not be the amp for you

I have a G-400 with a JB in the bridge and it chugs just fine, My amp/pedal set-up is different8 than yours, but the pickup should be fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 9, 2014,