so I'm buying my first electric guitar, budget: can buy a gibson les paul standard premium quilt. I just wanna ask a question: Can a les paul sound like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWBf7vVYCeo

i don't know what the other guy uses(on the left) but the guy on the right is gotta be a telecaster
i mostly like rock music like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjZqcDYbvAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRG7FJobkv4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBdbZz5eEO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh9yZWeTmVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM-8Ku2S_Cs

and also i like classic rock music like sweet child o' mine, highway to hell, into the night by carlos santana
To be honest, any guitar can sound like that If you have the skill. Don't suspect that you sound the same in the beginning. Les Paul is a very versatile instrument that fits in a very wide range of music. It is only a matter of skill and finetuning to replicate a sound.
i was thinking of getting a stratocaster or a telecaster because of the first video of 2 guys playing one ok rock - clock strikes guitar cover
I used to base what guitar I wanted on the bands I liked until I found that it was much more important to just choose a guitar you like yourself after trying out. I ended up falling for SGs and my hero is Iommi so go figure :P

But yeah, don't limit your choices to just what your favourite guitarists play.
buy a decent electric guitar and a nice amp and you can easily get that tone. just make sure you have a really good amp lol
Quote by BigSmokeDawg
buy a decent electric guitar and a nice amp and you can easily get that tone. just make sure you have a really good amp lol

the amps that are on my mind are: marshall, vox, orange, mesa boogie and laney
The most important thing will be to go out and play amps and guitars and see what you like.
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
i already tried and played a telecaster with a marshall amp, i actually like it but i never tried the other guitars.
made up my mind. Will buy a les paul as my first electric guitar with a marshall amp
which marshall? not all marshalls are good. a les paul is pretty expensive to be playing through a cheap beginner-quality amp, but it's your money and your call.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by saikyoncf
made up my mind. Will buy a les paul as my first electric guitar with a marshall amp

Okay, here are my issues with "a Les Paul."

A Gibson LP has a clunky neck heel. It joins the body at the 16th fret, but it's clunky earlier than that. Your palm runs square into a pointed body section, your thumb has to crawl up over neck and body, etc. if you're going to work in the upper fret area. If you have large hands, the cutaway horn is too close to the neck and you end up rotating your hand to move up the neck. Long-time LP players are so used to this that they don't think about it, but it's also likely that they unconsciously stay away from that part of the neck if they can avoid it.

There's no tummy cut. there's no forearm contour. You can tell the LP player by the dent in his forearm. Gibson doesn't do stainless frets. They don't do jumbo frets. They don't do longer scales than the 24.75" scale. They don't do a neck radius better than 12" (and that one often measures out closer to a 10" radius). Most Gibsons these days are not solidbody guitars, but have been hollowed out in some way to reduce weight.

Gibsons often require some fiddling to keep them in tune. The headstock tilt-back angle and the angles at which the strings leave the nut to find the tuners mean that Gibsons usually have strings binding in the nut. They were never designed for the kind of string bending that we all do.

Gibsons often have the nut cut too high, which fits the Gibson standard of medium-high action. Their Marketing department works overtime to convince you this is where you should set up your guitar for "best tone" in part because medium-high action disguises poor fretwork. If you lower the bridge on a Gibson LP from the factory, you'll often find yourself fretting out or getting quite a bit of buzz on the upper frets (above the 12th fret). That's not bad fretwork, that's just the high nut. If you take the guitar to your tech to have the nut cut properly, you'll begin to find out how good the Gibson fretwork is. And that's variable. Gibsons sometimes have a Gibson Hump -- a small ski jump where the body meets the neck and, for some reason, this can affect the fretboard. It means that you have a new culprit for the problems with the frets above the 12-15th fret. There are cures, but they can be expensive-ish. I just budget these cures in whenever I consider a new Gibbie.

Gibson necks can be baseball bats. This is fine if you have small, weak hands or arthritis, or if you've always played with most of your thumb hanging over the opposite side of the neck. You get to use the palm of your hand for leverage to bring forearm muscles into play for bends, vibrato, etc. You're not playing shreddy licks on the upper frets. You need to hunt to find a thinner neck on a Gibson. Hell, even Jimmy Page's guitar had a shaved neck. And you can't find a 24-fret Gibson LP neck to save your soul. Why that might be important is covered further on. This isn't a Gibson Hate post -- I own these guitars and I'm just telling you want to be prepared for. This goes for Epiphones, too -- leastways the ones that follow Gibson standards.

Gibson's Axcess has a shaved neck heel (smooth and gorgeous, thanks to Neal Schon and Dommengut guitars). It has a tummy cut. The forearm contour isn't there, but the body is actually thinner than standard, so that helps things. The necks aren't baseball necks, and you have pretty good upper fret access. If you buy one of the Floyd trem versions, it never goes out of tune. But the body is TOO light (the standard production models are weight relieved, the Customs often chambered) unless you buy the Lifeson version, which is the only SOLID bodied Axcess. But you're over $3500.

Epiphones? No help there.

Carvins? Well, wait a minute. Much smoother neck heel, tummy cut.

Body is SOLID mahogany (no cheese, no chambering), and slightly thinner than an Epi or Gibbie Les Paul. Ebony fretboard standard. 14" radius standard, 10, 12 and 20" available. Jumbo stainless frets available if you want them. 25" scale standard. 24-fret version, available if you prefer. Stock headstock has much closer to a straight pull (it's difficult to make one of these go out of tune) and alternate headstocks are available if you don't like that one.

They have better woods than you'll ever find on an under-$3500 Gibson, and it's a real full-thickness top, not a veneer. Available in a huge choice of finishes and inlay types (or none at all), etc., etc. Fretwork on a Carvin direct from the factory is usually impeccable. Tell them you want low action and it'll come that way, and it'll probably arrive at your door in tune. Base price on a CS624 (meaning that a 4AAAA quilt top and headstock are included!) is currently $1449, but you should budget $2000 if you shop the options at all. Necks are extremely comfortable, even for shredders, but not TOO thin. Optional neck profiles are available. I have 7 Carvins, some dating to 1989, the newest a 2006 model. One of the oldest has maybe the best action I've ever seen on a guitar, with NO buzzing frets over a 24-fret neck. The CS 624 has a modified point on the cutaway; much better upper fret access than a Gibson.

Still over budget?

My next "custom" order is an Agile AL-3200 (Agile is the RondoMusic.com house brand). It has a full-thickess SOLID body (this is a heavy guitar, though you can order it with just the upper bout chambered if you'd like to knock off half a pound or so). It has an Axcess-style neck heel, and a tummy cut. Oh, and it's a neck-through guitar. You can order it with 24 frets (it's standard with 22) in 24.75", 25.5", 27" scales. 7-string, if you like. Ebony f/b standard, your choice of inlays (or none), full-thickness maple cap available, multi-layer binding available, yada yada. The stubby cutaway horn gives you great upper fret access. Standard f/b is ebony with jumbos and a 14" radius. Thin profile available. Wide profile available 1 3/4" nut width. Standard profile depth is very comfortable. No baseball bat necks available, sorry.

These have become my go-to; the quality is stunning for the price, the standard AL-3200 is under $799 with HSC, the customs go up from there (I optioned one out the other day and it was $1160 with case, delivered). I order mine with Floyds (never a tuning issue, of course). The stock pickups are very good AlnicoV's. Just a kick butt guitar for an extremely reasonable price.
Quote by saikyoncf

"A Marshall Amp."

Nothing wrong with that -- a classic setup.
I've got Marshalls, including a hand-wired JTM-45 built from a kit.

However. (here he goes again...)

I've got 15 tube amps, most of which are in storage these days. Think about *where* you're going to play your guitar. If you have neighbors, a good loud amp is out. If you're gigging at some point (I know, this is your first electric guitar), you'll find that some venues require that you keep stage volume very low.

I've moved mostly to modelers (line 6 Pod, Axe-FX, Kemper, others). Great sound quality once properly set up. You can blast to tinnitus-causing levels with a good set of headphones. You can plug the modeler into a good set of recording monitors for a small room. You can run them directly into the arena PA system (next time you're playing an arena) or into a powered speaker (if you're jamming with friends). In each instance, the modeler is going to sound about the same. A Dialed Down tube amp is not going to sound the same as one cranked to full chat.

A good tube amp can be delicate; a drop could easily break tubes, the transformers could bend the chassis, etc. Replacing tubes is a given over time. Tube amps with serious power are heavy; transformers are heavy, and speakers usually have serious magnet weight. Manufacturers tend to build with heavy plywood (it's actually cheaper to build that way and consumers perceive that weight as "quality" rather than the overkill it really is). I have one 100W EL34-based single-12" combo with an EV-L speaker (15 lb magnet) that's coming close to 70 lbs.

You have a lot more options with a modeler. On my line 6 Pod HD, the "Park" model is the starting point for a lot of my Marshall sounds. But if you want Fender cleans, those are available as well, including those from vintage champs and Super Reverbs to current models. If you want to spend additional money, buy the Torpedo C.A.B., which adds some great cabinet IR simulations and even a few power amp simulations to the mix.

The Pod HD Bean modeler can be tucked into a gig bag pocket and used for raucous headphone practice. Foot pedals for it run off a single ethernet cable, and don't require AC power, so you can have the actual electronics in the back line, but have full control from your front-of-stage position. The foot pedals will also send MIDI commands, so you can have other MIDI-compatible setups in the backline (Voodoo labs has pedal control options so that you can have your pedals set up in the backline, but control them being off or on from the same footpedal.
but there are no stores here who sells carvin, the only ones that are available here are gibson, fender, prs, jackson, dean, and good old yamaha
Quote by saikyoncf
but there are no stores here who sells carvin, the only ones that are available here are gibson, fender, prs, jackson, dean, and good old yamaha

Unless you're in San Diego, there's no store anywhere that sells new Carvins. They're factory-direct...with a fairly generous return policy. Which is one of the reasons why they can sell guitars as good as or better than anything Gibson puts out for a fraction of the cost.

Agile follows the same business model. So do a great many other guitar makers.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 6, 2014,
Well, it's not exactly the same- and there are some out there that are, but none are currently for sale, AFAIK- but here is something similar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Special-with-Custom-bullet-shell-inserts-Relic-and-Vintage-/111477394057?pt=Guitar&hash=item19f4920a89

If you really want that exact look, though, my advice is find one of the countless good LP clones out there and take it to someone to modify.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 7, 2014,
changed my mind will buy an LP Standard 2015 and a VOX AC30C2 guitar amp with a Boss GT100