I was thinking of having a go at building the Condor Cab Sim that you can find here: http://www.runoffgroove.com/condor.html

There's a few things I just don't get though. Is it designed to have a pedal plugged in or can I use the speaker output of a valve amp? If it's the latter what ohm rating would be needed?

Also I can only see one output; could this be both used for headphones or going direct into an audio interface?
Last edited by ThrashingDeath at Oct 4, 2014,
Most cab sims are not designed to be used with the power output of a tube amp. The ones that are usually incorporate a load box (whole buncha big resistors).

Most cab sims are designed to go between the preamp section of a guitar amp and a mixer or a power amp of some kind. For example, I have a Carvin Quad-X tube preamp. You have a choice. You can run it into a tube power amp (like a carvin TS100) and into a guitar-type cabinet (like a 4x12, etc.) OR you can run it directly into a recording mixer, a PA mixer or a full-range frequency response powered speaker, like a recording monitor, etc. In this case, since the speakers/amplifier are trying their best to NOT add coloration to your preamp's signal, you have the option of adding a cab sim (it's built into the Carvin Quad-X, but can be external, like the Torpedo C.A.B.) to make it sound is if your preamp were running into a guitar cabinet.
Ah right. Thanks for the help. I'm thinking it's time I just get a modeller if I want good tone through headphones haha.
Well you can build this thing, and then put it into the effects loop, witout pluging it into the return jack. So it would go preamp->simulator->headphones, with the poweramp out of the equation.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Well you can build this thing, and then put it into the effects loop, witout pluging it into the return jack. So it would go preamp->simulator->headphones, with the poweramp out of the equation.

Unfortunately, valve amps really do want a load and do badly without it. So if you can't shut down the power amp portion separately, you still have it producing sound to the speaker.
Quote by ThrashingDeath
Ah right. Thanks for the help. I'm thinking it's time I just get a modeller if I want good tone through headphones haha.

That's why I bought a modeler in the first place. First a tiny Korg Pandora, later a Pod XT.

They're insidious. First headphones. Then you think, "What if I plugged this into the FX return of my amp?" Then, "You know, I get stereo FX if I plug my two powered recording monitors into this thing..." And eventually, "All I really need to do is run a line from this into the PA mixer and get them to give me a monitor..."
Hahah sounds like a plan. I really like the sound of those Vox Tonelab ones. I'll check out the ones you mentioned as well.