Hey guys,

So, unfortunately, had a bit of a flood in the house, and long story short, out of my amp, 9 pedals, and 7 guitars, thankfully only my amp and 2 pedals were damaged. (not 100% sure on the guitars, but think they'll be fine)

Anyways, for the pedals, I'll just replace my triple wreck since I was really enjoying it, and likely do the same for my OCD, but that's not 100%

What I'm curious would be what to do as far as my amp. It is/was (?) a Peavey Valveking 112, pretty common obviously. Normally, I'd likely just go out and get a new one, but when I was getting my gear tested at the guitar store, the guy said that they're discontinued. He'd mentioned that the nearest option (in the VK family) was the 2x12, which is more money.

So, normally budget would be a common question, and I really don't know. My insurance company said that they'd replace everything with a "similar like, kind, and quality", so I can't go out and drop $5k on a custom rig or anything like that, but I could likely justify going for the 2x12 version, since it's the closest "kind, quality, etc", and the insurance company should cover it.

Aside from the odd electronics problem, I had no issues with the VK112. Served me well enough, and had no complaints with the sound. Would I be well served looking into the 212, or should I look at something else, which would likely be in the $600USD/CDN area? I'd be comfortable getting the $600ish and putting some of my own cash in to cover the difference, but... i did just lose basically all of my stuff in a flood, so not exactly makin' it rain over here haha

TL;DR: Need to replace peavey valveking 112. Budget - it's complicated. Sound - grunge/rock/metal/blues-ish.. ideally something versatile. Use - basement/jamming. no gigging or anything like that, so don't need top shelf stuff, woudl be wasted.
Last edited by QOTSA40 at Oct 4, 2014,
A vk?

Unless the water was more than 10cm high you might argue you don't even need a new speaker.

How can you tell it doesn't work?

Anyway, for that stuff, a 50w high gain jet city combo will do the job.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Oh sorry about the flooding! That's not cool at all. On the bright side, you can get a new amp...

I've check my local store and they sell the Valveking VK II (newer version) 50W 1x12. It goes for 650$. Also the regular Valveking II (not VK) 1x12 for 600$. Are you sure it is discontinued? I'd check other stores around town.

Personnaly I don't ever want to buy a 2x12 combo again. They are great but those thing are a pain in the *** to carry around. Unless maybe if you leave your amp like 90% of the time at your place. Cab and head are more easy to cary, but it won't fit budget-wise.
Used Peavey ultra, if you put a little of your own money with it you can get a Peavey JSX combo and you'll be set for life.
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Ultra-212-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110501319-i3915708.gc
or get something like this
www.guitarcenter.com/-i3965349.gc
and
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Valve-King-4X12-Slant-Guitar-Cabinet-110239058-i3824658.gc

Your insurance company will give you a check for the amount they asses the value.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
@Spambot_2 - I'd tried playing it after I'd had the dehumidifyers and blowers/fans going for about 6-7 days, and it was pooched. I'd brought it to the guitar store and even the tech there was saying he doubts it'd be damaged, and likely is salvagable. No sooner did he turn it on did he say that yea, it's boned. Even just turning it on, but leaving it on stand-by, it sounded horri-awful.

I was sort of surprised too that they said the VK112 was discontinued, because one of the other stores still lists it on their website, so maybe it's just them that can't get it anymore. Either way, appreciate the replies!
Quote by QOTSA40
@Spambot_2 - I'd tried playing it after I'd had the dehumidifyers and blowers/fans going for about 6-7 days, and it was pooched. I'd brought it to the guitar store and even the tech there was saying he doubts it'd be damaged, and likely is salvagable. No sooner did he turn it on did he say that yea, it's boned. Even just turning it on, but leaving it on stand-by, it sounded horri-awful.

I was sort of surprised too that they said the VK112 was discontinued, because one of the other stores still lists it on their website, so maybe it's just them that can't get it anymore. Either way, appreciate the replies!

After you get a new one, pull the old one apart and clean it thoroughly, check all the connections etc. and have a few spare tubes on hand to test with. The fact that it powers up and makes noise tells me it's not very damaged. Your "tech" is a knobhead.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by QOTSA40

It may be that the store you visited didn't have them in stock, and the sales guy was just trying to get some more $ out of you then and there by suggesting the 212.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Arby911
After you get a new one, pull the old one apart and clean it thoroughly, check all the connections etc. and have a few spare tubes on hand to test with. The fact that it powers up and makes noise tells me it's not very damaged. Your "tech" is a knobhead.

+1
your tech sounds like he can bias an amp and that's about it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
@Arby911 - unfortunately, I won't actually get the old one back. Since it's getting replaced, the insurance company keeps the "salvage" (the old broken stuff that's being replaced), so that likely won't be a possibility.
can you take cash? i say take cash and upgrade. this is a great time to take a step up.

cant argue against the wampler, but being the OCD is the stereotypical "gotta have it off the rack at guitar center" pedal, i say take this as an opportunity to do some youtubing and pick out something along the same lines, boutique, and UNIQUE
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
cash is definitely an option, though it does come with a potential snag.... I'd have to accept the depreciated value, instead of getting the actual cost to replace it in full. I'd curse insurance companies, but... i work for my insurance company, so I'm so torn haha
I think Guitar Center still has the 112 combos in stock. You might also look at Vox or even Carvins.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
only potential issue is that I'm in Canada, so we don't have guitar centers here. I'll definitely check out Vox and Carvins though Pretty much any tube combo in the $600 range I'd be interested in. Probably wouldn't be able to go used though, since I'll need to submit receipts.
Canada, eh?

Well, try sites like Rverb- some of the sellers there will ship internationally. I think this one does:

https://reverb.com/item/137329-peavey-valveking-ii-combo-50#description-tab
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by QOTSA40
only potential issue is that I'm in Canada, so we don't have guitar centers here. I'll definitely check out Vox and Carvins though Pretty much any tube combo in the $600 range I'd be interested in. Probably wouldn't be able to go used though, since I'll need to submit receipts.

If you live close to the US border you can order from GC and have it shipped to the closest border GC.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Besides, talk to your claims adjuster- you might be able to work setting out on shipping, especially if what you're trying to replace is cheaper here, or if it is generally cheaper than the alternatives available to you in Canada.

Because "cheaper" is a magic word to insurance companies.

Guitar Center ships to Canada now as well (think they added Canada late spring-ish) so they may still be an option for you.
Quote by QOTSA40
@Arby911 - unfortunately, I won't actually get the old one back. Since it's getting replaced, the insurance company keeps the "salvage" (the old broken stuff that's being replaced), so that likely won't be a possibility.

It's been my experience that you can usually buy or retain the salvage item for a nominal fee, usually 10% of the replacement payout. It's not like the insurance company is in the broken amp business.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin