Hey bassists, I'd like a bit of input / directions for my first bass to be.
I won't be getting it until Christmas-ish time. Due to it being my 40th birthday a few days before, I have been promised about £250. That I expect to change drastically to about 150 quid if I'm lucky... it's great having kids lol

Anyway, I'm not here to plot buying a used ibanez etc, just here for a pointer or two.

First off my music taste is really stuck at around my time of birth, indeed the wife said in passing that I haven't liked anything post 85, not quite true but close enough.

So my music tastes would be heavily pink floyd, the doors, black sabbath, ac/dc, thin lizzy and led zep, but I can easily throw things like dire straits into that mix.

Would I be correct in thinking that I'd be best of with a PJ bass? I've listened to various sound samples online and I think that's what i should be looking for.

Also if you could suggest a set of strings or 2 that would suit, aiming for a tone like "Killer on the loose" type of thing. I realize that strings alone won't get the sound but hopefully there may be something more suited, be it a specific brand / size or material used.

No doubt I'll be looking for more clues in my crimbo pressie hunt in the coming months, many thanks
"If I didn't know I was a genius, I wouldn't listen to the trash I write."
Can't go wrong with a P/J bass. The combination of Precision and Jazz pickups makes PJs really versatile, and most of the bassists in the bands you listed use either a P (Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, early AC/DC) or a J (Zeppelin) bass. You'll likely be able to get the sounds in your head using the different pickup combinations.

As for strings, you could go with anything. I think Phil Lynnot played flatwound strings but that doesn't necessarily mean Killer on the Loose was recorded with them. The tone in that song is pretty aggressive, so roundwound nickel or steel strings might be what you're looking for. I like D'Addario Prosteels and have them on all my basses.
Brilliant, thanks very much
You simply cannot go wrong with a good Precision or Jazz design bass. There is a reason they have been the standards for the electric bass world since they were created. The Precision and its clones usually have a thicker neck than do the Jazz and its clones, so play them both to see if you prefer one to the other.

As for a P/J pickup arrangement, well; it certainly can be a great combination, but not all P/J pickup setups are created equal - equal being the key. In a number of them, the Precision pickup is so much louder than the Jazz pickup that the Jazz pickup becomes almost useless. But if you get a good balance between the two, then it is a truly great combination.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
This Ibanez GSR200B is among the most often recommended starter basses. Decent quality, PJ pickups, and priced at 165 pounds including VAT and free shipping (where applicable). Worth a look in any event...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_gsr200b_wnf.htm

Off topic, my people all came from Northern Ireland, specifically Larne in Northern Antrim.
larne's in south-eastern county antrim, surely?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No worries
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by VeloDog
This Ibanez GSR200B is among the most often recommended starter basses. Decent quality, PJ pickups, and priced at 165 pounds including VAT and free shipping (where applicable). Worth a look in any event...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_gsr200b_wnf.htm

Off topic, my people all came from Northern Ireland, specifically Larne in Northern Antrim.

Nice place, I'm from Belfast originally but living in Downpatrick, home of some Saint apparently

I usually use Thomann to buy instruments, I don't know how I missed the Ibanaez, probably sandwiched between the garish pink and green Deans :p

I am looking at http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_troy_sanders_jaguar_bass.htm or http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_vm_precision_bass_pj_car.htm if the cash is there, maybe try cash converters first, although everything in shops here seems way overpriced.

Not overly fond of the dark stain on the Ibanez, was looking to try for brighter colours, made me hesistant on the Squiers too. But painting the GSR should be easy enough if it came to it.

But I'll get that sorted closer to time when I have the cash in hand to barter with,
Thanks all
Heh, got my hands on the cash and spent it before anyone could complain

Bought a Squier Vint Mod Jaguar

The red is a lot more solid than the faded look in the pics, absolutely no setup needed other than a tune and a quarter turn for more relief... may turn it back slightly. Came with absolutely nothing tho, no promo material or description of the bass and controls, not even a battery lol

I'm quite surprised by the weight, was expecting a lot heavier esp the neck, but it's very neutral, no dive at all. Going to take me some time to get used to the extra finger stretching

Question tho,
Starting of playing bass is it more beneficent to use a pick or jump straight in to fingers? or is that just a matter of preference?
Mostly preference. It's probably an over-simplification but in general I would say that picks allow for faster and more accurate playing while fingers allow for a better tonal palette. Again, this is strictly a general observation. My recommendation would be to start with the fingers and move into pick playing once you're comfortable with fingers. However, if you have some pick experience as a result of previous guitar playing then starting out with a pick would probably allow you to learn faster. Eventually learning both techniques is preferable to sticking with only one.

Also, if you find during practice sessions that you experience lots of annoying string squeaking and overtones with the stock strings, using flat-wound strings will dramatically reduce the noise. This allows you to sound better in the early phase of learning, and many bassists have used (and still use) flats. It's just a personal preference thing. You can always move to round-wound strings later if you want less thump and more tonal definition. D'addario Chromes and GHS Precision Flats are two good choices that won't break the bank.

Finally, bear in mind that the above just represents my humble opinion. Experienced bassists are often strongly opinionated and it's not uncommon to find that they sometimes butt heads when discussing technique, strings, gear, etc. Whatever else you do, make sure you simply enjoy playing your new bass. The Squier Jag is a perfectly viable option and sounds good with both flats and rounds.
^ I put most of my effort into getting the fingers thing down, since I already played guitar and seemed to be able to pick with a plectrum just fine on bass too with very little, if any, adjustment required.

I'm no bassist, though.
Quote by Floyd Pepper

Question tho,
Starting of playing bass is it more beneficent to use a pick or jump straight in to fingers? or is that just a matter of preference?

Really your preference.

When I started playing bass, I already played some guitar. I started off using a pick on bass, mostly because we had shows to play soon, and I wasn't proficient using my fingers yet.

But I practiced pretty hard for 6 months or so getting my fingers in shape, and since then I've pretty much exclusively played fingerstyle. Recently, I've started doing a bit of pick playing when practicing, though. No particular reason for it, except that sometimes I just want that pick sound/feel.

To a large extent, playing with a pick is easier for me. But the sound ain't there for some types of music, and honestly, I like the challenge of fingerstyle.

Interestingly, I even started playing some fingerstyle guitar, once I'd gotten it down on bass (not classical guitar or anything - never learned that stuff). For some songs, the tone of fingers was better than a pick.
Thanks guys, think I'll practice songs with a pick and get my fingers up to speed separately. I've managed to injure my fret hand / wrist so it's slow going atm, although bass seems to not be as bad, power / barre chords kill after 1 song
I have the same bass - Squier VM Jaguar (made in Indonesia). Inexpensive but very good instrument.