Page 1 of 2
Who on UG has contact lenses and how long have you been wearing 'em for? I got mine in May and they are wonderful but Christ they still give me a hard time. My left lens spontaneously irritates me and my eye goes all bloodshot or it's just generally uncomfortable and I'll have to take it out either way. Occasionally the right one betrays me probs cos he's acting out cos leftie gets all the attention.

What are your experiences (i bet I'm talking to like 2-3 people) and is my current situation normal considering I've had them for a good few months now?
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I refuse to poke myself in the bum, it is ticklish
Quote by ErikLensherr

I wear contacts. I've had them for almost 7 years now. They still give me problems like dry and itchy eyes sometimes.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I carry my glasses around with me but only wear them when I need to see something at distance / look intellectual.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I've been using them for like 9 years or so, hardly ever have any issues with getting headaches anymore. Hardly even notice that they're in anymore.
@caesar you were supposed to say 'they give me no problems now, just wait a little bit til you enter lenses heaven'

But yea dry eye is the worst. I thought there was something in my left eye, a hair or something, for so long until I googled and it sounded like it was just dry eye
Quote by ErikLensherr

you might want to get that checked out. when i wore contacts, if my eye was getting red and irritated it usually meant i had an infection.

do you take them out at night? i always had problems because i'd wear em for weeks at a time. finally just switched back to glasses after two infections and my optometrist telling me the blood vessels in my eyes were all inflamed.

contacts are tedious.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by steve_muse
@caesar you were supposed to say 'they give me no problems now, just wait a little bit til you enter lenses heaven'

But yea dry eye is the worst. I thought there was something in my left eye, a hair or something, for so long until I googled and it sounded like it was just dry eye

They will get better over time. I only get issues with them maybe once a month tops. I'm just letting you know that you're not some freak with major eye problems.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
you might want to get that checked out. when i wore contacts, if my eye was getting red and irritated it usually meant i had an infection.

do you take them out at night? i always had problems because i'd wear em for weeks at a time. finally just switched back to glasses after two infections and my optometrist telling me the blood vessels in my eyes were all inflamed.

contacts are tedious.

I have a checkup next week I think. I'll certainly ask, although last time I was seen she pointed out how one was kinda bloodshot and said that was normal so I dunno.

I can't get glasses cos my eyes are too screwed for that. I've got this degenerate thing I dunno how to spell
Quote by ErikLensherr

What solution do you use to clean them? And do you sleep with them in or take them out at night?
Of course I take them out before bed. Do people consciously choose to sleep with them? I use Tesco's own lenses solution

Used to use Boston but fuk der prices
Quote by ErikLensherr

i've been wearing the same pair since 2004
i don't know why i feel so dry
I should point out that they're hard lenses if that makes any difference
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by steve_muse
Of course I take them out before bed. Do people consciously choose to sleep with them? I use Tesco's own lenses solution

Used to use Boston but fuk der prices

Yeah some people sleep in them. I'll do it if I absolutely have to sometimes.

And I use a hydrogen peroxide solution instead of a saline one, I don't know if it makes much of a difference though

Also I wear soft lenses, so again, I'm not sure if it makes a difference.
I have Keratoconus. So I wear RGP lenses. I've worn them for about 5 years now and I often forget I'm wearing them. It took a long, long time to desensitize to the fact that there's 2 pieces of plastic inside my eyes. The lenses are £350 a pair. So I'm always worried about losing them.

I can't wear glasses anymore because no pair of glasses is strong enough to correct my vision.
Quote by caeser1156
What solution do you use to clean them? And do you sleep with them in or take them out at night?

It entirely depends on what specific kind of lenses you're using.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 4, 2014,
I've been wearing em for years. I have soft lenses though. Never had irritation with any sort of regularity.
Yeah I use them, just a couple of times a week for playing football or going out. I get up too early to be bothered putting them in for work. They're great but they can be a massive pain at times.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I have Keratoconus. So I wear RGP lenses. I've worn them for about 5 years now and I often forget I'm wearing them. It took a long, long time to desensitize to the fact that there's 2 pieces of plastic inside my eyes. The lenses are £350 a pair. So I'm always worried about losing them.

I can't wear glasses anymore because no pair of glasses is strong enough to correct my vision.

It entirely depends on what specific kind of lenses you're using.

My kindred spirit, this is what I have. Yeah, I mean there will be days when I forget they're there and there's no problem at all, but throughout this week there's been a day I've not had to take one of them out because of mild irritation. I guess it's just a long process.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by steve_muse
My kindred spirit, this is what I have. Yeah, I mean there will be days when I forget they're there and there's no problem at all, but throughout this week there's been a day I've not had to take one of them out because of mild irritation. I guess it's just a long process.

It seems like once every couple of months, I'll get something like a speck of dust between my eye and the lens, and it scores the cornea, which is really painful. It stops me from wearing the lens for around 4 days. Eye tissue is pretty amazing in how quickly it heals over.

One thing I'm terrified of is requiring a corneal transplant in the future, as about a quarter of Keratoconic patients needs one. I mean have you seen that shit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4FL3jtgU7s

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 4, 2014,
I am not watching that but yea I've heard that's the sort of last resort operation. I don't think I'd ever choose to do that shit tho
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I carry my glasses around with me but only wear them when I need to see something at distance / look intellectual.

this.

the idea of poking my eye in order to place a foreign object on it weirds me out

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
The first time I put them in I almost sick lmao
Quote by ErikLensherr

I've been using contacts for 3 years. I never had a problem. My eye doesn't irritate or feel uncomfortable. Try using eye drops if they bother you from time to time.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I've started using them 3 weeks ago. Took me a while to get used to put/remove them. Now it takes me 3-5 minutes.. I use daily ones tho. I still cry in tears when I first put them on.
My insurance doesn't cover them, what do you think I am, middle class?
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by RylanThePotato
My insurance doesn't cover them, what do you think I am, middle class?

My insurance barely covers them, I gotta pay most of it out of pocket. I can get glasses almost free through insurance but what am I, some kind of nerd?
I've worn contacts for ~10 years. I switched to daily lenses a few years ago, and I highly recommend it to everyone.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I have been wearing soft lenses for years. I have the occasional problem, but they are fine most of the time. The biggest problem is when I am driving at night. They tend to try out then and I can't see what I'm doing.
I wore soft lens disposables for years when playing on-stage and never had a problem.
I always carried some solution in a small bottle to wet them. When they get dry they will start to give you trouble (things can get blurry, they feel scratchy and if they get too dry one will fall out...good luck finding it). Drying out can be a real problem if there's an air vent near the stage or you're playing outdoors. Sometimes even high par lights (the French fry lights, not LEDs) would dry them out too.
It really sucked when you could smoke inside venues (but I can blame myself for that too. I was one of the people smoking). There'd be a smog above the crowd.
Also if you use fog machines that will dry them out. Basically just wet the damn things occasionally when you're wearing them.
If it burns and gives you bloodshot eye when you put them in, wash your hands before putting them in. Even if you think your hands are clean.
Last edited by Brian_Damage at Oct 4, 2014,
Quote by Jackintehbox
I don't know why someone would wear contacts. Never made sense to me.

Maybe it will when you actually need them to see anything.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Maybe it will when you actually need them to see anything.

I need my glasses to see things.
Quote by Jackintehbox
I need my glasses to see things.

If you wore glasses most of your life, it makes sense that you prefer them. I'v always hated wearing glasses when I was growing up and still do, so I prefer contacts.
Page 1 of 2